3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #151
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I used Adipex/Phen for the first about 2 years ago, maybe a little bit longer, and that was when I was at my heaviest of about 252. A few years before that, I'd been at my lowest (160) after a heavy diet of no eating, all partying, and a lot of cocaine use (ah, misspent youth). I've always struggled with my weight, but after quitting drugs and partying, I gained back the 50 to 60 I has lost and put an addition 35lbs on. As you can imagine, it was depressing. My whole body was in crazy revolt. So, after a few years, when a roommate of mine told me about Phen/Adipex, I figured I'd give it a try.

To be honest, the side effects of it did the exact same thing for me that coke did. Turned off my wanting to eat/binge and made my heart rate sky rocket for hours afterwards (****, I even chain smoked like I used to when I'd do coke)... made me extremely antsy, and very productive in a scatter brained way. I lost about 20lbs before going off of it 2 months later due to financial reasons.... and gained back almost all of that within a year.

Then, I tried again. Lost another 15lbs.... gained probably about 10 back.

Then, finally, about 6 months ago I figured that I'd give it one more try since I'd stopped my crazy living of those days... I eat a lot healthier (as much as possible being a broke perpetual college student), have been going to the gym at LEAST 3 days a week for about a year now, do nothing but work and take care of my health (I'm also struggling through trying to figure out other health problems of mine, such as possible hypothyroid, etc [waiting on the results right now in fact])... and I lost about 17lbs. But this time.... with the weight loss came extreme insomnia, HORRIBLE head aches, heart palpitations, anxiety, sky rocketed blood pressure (and mine's always been perfect) that couldn't go down and I can go on.

So, I quit it again... and have gained back about 9 of it. However, from the working out... I've lost inches (and am a lot healthier than I've been in a very, very long time) and have really seemed to gain much of it back, so I'm thinking I might have put on a couple of those pounds in muscle weight.

Which is good... but still sucks. I want that scale to go down. In all, I started at like 252 and am at 232 or so.... 20lbs (and some muscle and inches lost) in 2 1/2 years. *sigh* Not good enough. It just seems like no matter what I do.... I can't lose weight without doing something extreme. Working out doesn't help (and I'm doing like 70 min of good cardio at least 3 days a week, sometimes as much as 5 days a week... and weights 2 a week), eating more veggies and fruits doesn't help, ect.

Soo.... I guess the point to this is that Adipex/Phen is a quick answer to a long term problem.... and only makes things better for a little bit. Once you're off of it.... it's a dead struggle to keep it off, and no matter WHAT you do it seems that it still comes back, even if you are eating healthier. In the end.... it's more heart breaking than anything seeing those pounds crawl back onto your scale.

~*Amanda*~
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #152

I just started taking it again today, i lost 23 lbs last year on it then got off and gained it back and then some. My starting weight today was 197 so we will see how i do! I had so much energy today I went and sped walked a mile. Im going to go early in the morning and do 2 miles. I ate good today. Not much really. But good!

My son is counting on me!

starting weight: 197.0
3-3-09:193.6 (-3.4lbs)
3-9-09:192.6 (-1.0lb ): not too bad..
3-16-9:189.6 (-3.0lbs)

1st Goal: to lose 19 lbs
calimodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #153
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I haven't posted here in awhile, though I've thought about it plenty. I started taking Phen at the end of February, and since then I've lost about ten pounds. I had a heck of a time getting my doctor's office to write me a new prescription this time, though -- not because they didn't want me taking it anymore, but because their system is such a mess and no one ever calls you back -- so I've been off it seven days now. What I've noticed is that I can still lose weight at the same rate as I can when I'm taking Phen, but I have to be a lot more careful about my diet.

So that's what I'm trying to do now. I'll go pick up my prescription tomorrow (finally), but I don't know that I'll get it filled right away. At this point I'm sort of curious to see if I can lose five pounds in a month without it. It is a great tool, and it jump-started my weight loss again after six months in a plateau, but if I can do it without taking a pill, I'd rather spend the money on something else, you know?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #154

S/C/G: 287/ticker/139

Height: 5' 5"

I took phentermine some years ago. It really killed my appetite BUT I could not continue to use it because the constipation was unbearable. I have never experienced anything like it before or since.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #155
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

It doesn't kill my appetite at all! Well, it did for the first week. I was hoping it would, but nope, still hungry at night. I kept taking it for the metabolism boost, but I'm not sure it's necessary.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #156

S/C/G: 280/280/155

Height: 5'8

I just started taking it as well, a week or so... I looked it up online and the only thing I saw bad was that it's addictive. I'm not so sure if it's really working on me because I don't feel and burst of energy. However, I'm not hungry all the time but when I do get hungry, I still eat alot, so I'm not sure, will get back to you in a couple more weeks
cheecheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #157

S/C/G: 154/153/130ish

Height: 5'4

For all of you who say you gained all the weight you lost plus more, did you go back to your old eating habits? This is not only an appetite suppressant but you need to teach yourself healthy eating habits so that you can keep the weight off.
vettelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #158
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I haven't personally taken phentermine because I have an elevated heart rate anyway and I don't want to elevate it even more. Plus at my work we are subject to random drug screens, so I don't want to jeopordize my job.

Anyway, my best friend took phen about three years ago and lost 30 lbs in a couple of months. She was telling me the whole time that she was making a lifestyle change and that she felt she just needed this to get a jump start and that she knew that this would work. She has since gained all the weight back plus some. She told me that when she was taking it, she would eat maybe a yogurt for breakfast, a bowl of cereal for lunch, and a piece of fish or chicken for supper. She was not hungry at all and I would say she was probably not eating 1000 cals per day. We all know that that is not sustainable-right? So, when you go off the phen and your appetite returns, you're naturally going to eat more. That's why I feel that the phen will not work in the long run *for most people*---because we will go back to eating normally and inevitably, the weight will come back.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #159

S/C/G: 154/153/130ish

I try to eat at least 1200 calories a day so that when i go off of the phentermine i will be accustom to eating healthy and consuming an adequate number of calories. It should not be about starving yourself but about becoming healthy so that you will be motivated to keep the weight off. This not only goes for phentermine but with any way that one loses weight. Its a lifestyle change.
vettelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #160

S/C/G: HW 154 / SW134 / CW<90

Height: 5' 1"

I took it for many years, first with fenfleuramine, then with Wellbutrin, and it worked while I took it. It was my intention to take it forever, like a diabetic takes insulin, because it put me in control so that I could make healthy choices. Alas, I switched from getting it by prescription to ordering it over the internet, until the FDA cracked down, and I could tell I was no longer getting the real thing. I could go back to the doctor who prescribed it, but now that I have insurance, he'd have me coming in every week, and I'm just not up for that. As expected, I did regain the weight, about a pound a week, since I went off it. It's been a few years, and now I'm trying to take the weight off--and keep if off--by white-knuckling it. We'll see how it goes. Still, I'm grateful for the many years of my adult life I spent NOT overweight, thanks to phentermine.

I should mention, though, the part about dry mouth is true, and I think it messed up my teeth. I read something about "meth mouth," where the enamel wears off an addict's teeth because they aren't protected by saliva, and I believe that's what happened to me. I ended up getting the damaged ones bonded. Also, each day as the phentermine kicked in, my cheeks and nose would get flushed, and I ended up with broken blood vessels in my nose. They have gone away over time.

Last edited by HungryHungryHippo : 06-20-2009 at 09:43 PM.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #161

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I know a few people who took it and their stories are similar to yours: they had a fantastic success: They lost lots of weight, fast and effortlessly,because they just were not hungry and were really motivated to work out.

COming off however was difficult - their appetite returned with a vengeance, and so did the weight. All but one friend have regained everything.

I was really tempted to take it, too, but that aspect put me off. I know I have no discipline, and when I`m hungry I just eat. I`d rather remain as I am or lose it slowly than getting all the attention for losing and regaining everything. TO me, this would be more embarrassing than staying large in the first place. It sounds tempting, though. If I knew I had the diszipline not to give in when I come off it, I would not think twice about taking it!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #162

I just started taking it. I'm sure it's like ANY diet. They all work if you work them, it's up to you. I can see how easy it would be to just stop eating on these, then go off of them and go back to your old eating habits. They make you not hungry. I'm going to try it short term while exercising and changing my eating habits. If it doesn't work, the pill won't be to be blame I'm sure.

edited to add I'm up to 210, another 11lbs since my last signature update. I have to do SOMETHING, anything, to get me going in the right direction at least.

Last edited by auer~j : 07-14-2009 at 06:29 PM.
auer~j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #163
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I was on the Phen for almost a year. I lost 70lbs; the only side effect I had was dry mouth and that was tolerable.

My problem was once I got off of it I gradually went back to my old lifestyle and gained about half of it back. Which is where I am now.

I wouldn't go back on it because I feel I need to learn to change my lifestyle. and remember to keep the changes.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #164

I've been on phentermine for the past 6 weeks and I have built a tolerance for it so it doesn't suppress my appetite as much. What are some of the ways for it to start being effective again? I would appreciate it if you can share about your experience. Thanks!
azntenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #165

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/169

Height: 5'7"

I've been on phentermine for exactly 5 days...that along with some other supplements and an injection of b12, and I have lost 11 lbs. The phentermine has totally murdered my formerly HUGE appetite and I have learned to control my once out-of-control eating...
I would only recommend it to those who are willing to undergo a physical as it has some serious side effects for those with depression/high blood pressure/or heart disease...
i have experienced no side effects so far...
hope this helped...

I tend to spew wisdom from my fingers (ok, maybe not wisdom, but definitely interesting tidbits) please take a look: http://musycslyrics.blogspot.com/
Out of my comfort zone, but totally necessary: http://fatgyrlproblems.blogspot.com/
mystyblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.