3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #136

S/C/G: 208/208/100

Height: 5'5"

I've been taking Phentermine since Dec. 5th and here is my experience.

My doc started me with half of the 37.5 once a day. I lost about 9 lbs. in Dec. Through January, I maintained. Didn't lose anything, so she upped my dose to one full 37.5 tablet daily. I have lost about 13 lbs. this month. Total 22- since Dec. I have not worked out once, but I intend to begin that soon. I have gone from a 16 to a 14.

My diet consists of grilled chicken salads, fruit (mainly berries, apples, and pineapple) sometimes a Lean Cuisine meal for dinner, an occasional Chick fil A sandwich, and every couple of days, I treat myself to a king sized Hersheys with almonds. I eat maybe once or twice a day.

I do have dry mouth, some sleepless nights, irritability, rapid heart beat (some days) an increased sex drive, and not much of an appetite.

Overall, I have been very pleased.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #137
Empress/Queen

Glad you are doing the phen through a doctor since rapid heart beat can indicate some very dangerous conditions (although not always) and it's good your doctor apparently isn't worried by that when prescribing the pills.

Best of luck.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #138
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I've lost 65 pounds in the past 2 1/2 years the old-fashioned way (calorie counting and exercise). But my loss is really slow no matter how hard I work out (six days a week, including weight training) or how well I eat. I hit plateaus and sit there for six months (one time it was a whole year). I'm at another plateau now (since September) and I went to the doctor today to ask if I'm doing something wrong.

She wrote me a prescription for Phentermine and said we'd keep me on it until I hit a BMI of 30. The point of the prescription is to jump start my loss again, she said, since I'm doing everything right and having such a hard time. So I guess I'll see how it works once I get my prescription filled. I am a little worried about whether it will be covered by my insurance; guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the pharmacy.

I really hope it is, because I'm starting to think I'm never going to make it to my goal.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #139
Just for today......

S/C/G: 275H/178/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Caroline,

I doubt it is covered by your insurance, however it is not too terribly expensive.

You do know they come with some side effects of dry mouth (extremely), and no sleep for the first few days-- don't you. And, some people (like me) that take them get irritable. However, I found if I only take 1/2 (of the 37.5mg pill--I break them in half), the side effects are not that bad. I am sure you will have a very clean house the first couple days But, to me the side effects were worth the boost they gave me in my weight loss. I had taken them before and I gained the weight back.... but that was my fault. These are strictly a tool--- not a miracle drug. Just as you have done, if you don't change your eating habits, the weight won't stay off. I don't know you but for you to have done it on your own for this long, I have no doubt you will make it and keep the weight off. Just use them for what they are intended on (like lap band) it is not a cure, but a tool and you will be fine.

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #140
Empress/Queen

Caroline, congratulations on the great job you have done losing 65 pounds.

Plateaus are a normal part of a lengthy weight loss process, as I'm sure your doctor explained.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #141
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Believe me, I have dealt with plateaus before. It's now that I've gotten to the point where I can't even eat oatmeal in the morning if I want to lose that I need to start looking for more answers. This might not even be the answer, but I guess I will try it and see what happens.

I am not looking forward to the insomnia, but I've dealt with that side affect before (when taking Lexapro) so at least I know what to expect. I will keep you posted on whether or not the Phentermine does any good in my case. I eat well and work out a lot, so I'm not worried about being able to keep the weight off. I've actually done really well on that part of the equation during my (several very long) plateaus.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #142
Empress/Queen

You have done very well, Caroline.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #143
Just for today......

Caroline,

I hope you do well. You have done a super job so far. Most people would quit after the first or second week of a platuea-- and you hung in there. Best of luck

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #144
Lose 50

S/C/G: 170/170/120

Height: 5'2"

Cool March 10 ~ Phetermine

I used Phetermine for 3 or 4 months. Pros: It works. Cons: Inconvenient to go to the doctor once a week, dry mouth. Big Con: Weight comes back because it is not a life style change.
Angel600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #145
Holly

S/C/G: 260/258/150

Height: 5'4"

I just started using Phentermine (15mg) to start, along with 10mg of Lexapro. I feel energetic no rapid heartbeat, I slept fine so far. it's only my 2nd day. I started out with the lowest dose and then i go back to my doctor in 2 weeks for a check up and if my dose needs to be increased. I couldn't imagine starting at 37.5 mg.....I think I would jump out of my skin! The cost of the Phentermine was $16 at Costco(generic), and my doctor gave me Lexapro samples. i definately recommend going to your doctor for a prescription and having monthly blood pressure checks. my BP is 120/82. I think if you are honest with your doctor and you are committed to losing weight, I dont' see why the doctor wouldn't write you a prescription. I see a lot of people ordering Phen online, I would try the doctor approach first! They are looking out for your best interest!

Holly
hattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #146

S/C/G: 254/249/135

Height: 5'4

I don't know if i'm stressed out or if it's the pills but has anyone else noticed the headaches? Seems like Im gettig them more often
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #147
Just for today......

I have been off of mine for 8 days now. I had to quit them, they were taking a toll on me. Yes, I did have headaches. Most of them were when I was angry or stressed-- I assume it was from my BP going up (and normally I don't have BP problems). As for the pills..... I knew better to take them in the first place, but I needed help with starting off.

I only took 2.5 months worth of them (1/2 pill at a time). However, with that being said, I know that I would not have made it past the first couple months without them. I used them to change my eating habits and my life-- which is what they are designed for.

I would be careful with them if you are getting h/a. I do think they are a good tool to use if they are appropriate for you. Best of luck.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #148

S/C/G: 310/250/140

Height: 5'4"

I took it for a month but got headaches too, I did lose weight on it 11lbs but they came back after I started eating.
Badgerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #149

I took them for a few weeks and got the headaches and dry mouth. I lost next to nothing. For me they were not worth the symptoms.
DiaDona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #150

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I've been taking Phentermine for over a month now. It has been a great tool. That's it though, a tool.

I am eating smarter. I am going to the gym to work out once or twice a week and swimming with my boys once a week. (I hope to add more days to my workout schedual, but I am doing the best I can, and not quitting.)

The only side effect I have had is occasional dry mouth. That's it. As a matter of fact, I can actually focus on task BETTER now, then when I wasn't on it.

As for weight loss. I really haven't kept track. I've lost 21 pounds total, but that is since the middle of January. I've only had the pills half that time.

irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.