Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #1  
banned

Default Skin Firming Lotions?

They smell good, make my skin nice and soft, but has anyone really had a good experience with these as far as the 'firming' effects go? I know the Jergens bran says 'firmer skin in two weeks,' but I have to wonder.

Of course, as far as actual firming goes, no doubt nothing beats a good exercise plan, but I do want some opinions on these lotions.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

I think that skin elasticity is based on your age, how overweight you are and how long you have been overweight.

Younger skin will remain firmer and retain the ability to produce more collegen.

I think that there is an ingredient in the creams to give you temporary firmness....caffeine? (visions of rubbing coffee grounds into my thighs.....

(my info. comes from one of those shows on FITTV.....I think it was "10 years younger")
Old 01-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

You really can get good face firming results by facial exercise (books are available ... this is a very old technique that not a lot of people believe in, but it does help and feels good).

But personally I've used these "firming" lotions on face, thighs (coffee!!! ) and other places and I haven't found that they firm anything ... although the "rubbing" in of them would naturally sort of tone and help with circulation, I suppose, and that might make things look firmer ... alles ist moglich, I guess.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

We've actually had at least one thread on this topic before...would have to look for it

Health Magazine ran an article in October 2004 regarding cellulite and did mention the creams:

Quote:
Products containing active ingredients such as antioxidants and vasodilators shrink fat cells and loosen the fibrous bands between them, allowing the cells to spread sideways instead of bulging out. Cellulite creams don't work for everyone, however, and there's no research comparing the various products on the market. If you don't see improvement after six to eight weeks, try a different cream, or talk to your dermatologist.
Of course, it's really a COSMETIC difference, it doesn't actually create any permanent changes, KWIM?

I use the firming lotions myself (I've used Jergens, Dove, Suave and one called "The Cat's Pajamas" which is made by a company which also makes tanning lotions, but I can't remember their name at the moment). I haven't kept tabs or anything, but I would buy lotion ANYWAY and for the most part, the skin firming lotions are the same pricewise as the regular ones. I REALLY love a nice emollient, rich lotion and most of the skin firming ones are very rich indeed. (as long as they don't smell icky or overpowering, I'm there...)

As far as face moisturizers are concerned, I just use a tinted moisturizer (I vacillate between Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier right now). I probably *should* start using a night cream or something but I keep forgetting to do so...it hasn't been all that long since my zit days
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #5  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Right now I'm trying the Dove skin firming lotion. I use it on my thighs and upper arms plus under my chin (what the heck). I've only been using it for a few days, so I can't tell yet. They don't say whether you have to keep this rigamarole up for the rest of your life to keep the skin "firm".

Massaging it in probably does some good by improving circulation (I envision shaking all those fat cells loose) but I doubt if it will make any noticeable difference - we'll see......

I agree with Mrs. Jim, If nothing else, it's a good moisturizer and not that expensive.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #6  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

The Dove firming lotion is what they were trying to promote with the whole "Real Beauty" campaign. While I applaud it for its presentation of real women who aren't size 00, it does send a mixed message ("Oh its ok that you're not a skeletal waif, as long as you use our firming lotions to keep your skin smooth and taut") :\

That aside, I think firming lotions probably have some effect--but don't expect anything drastic... that requires a dermatologist (and sometimes going on the table)

You may also want to consider getting some Vitamin C (food is best, of course) -- which is needed for the formation of collagen for skin firmness and elasticity. Also avoid excessive sunshine, avoid smoking, and eat plenty of antioxidant packed foods (UV light and free radicals are the biggest contributors of skin aging, not to mention a plethora of other ickies)

WebMD also offers some tips on cellulite (not sure if that's what you're combatting or just overall loose skin in general): http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/c.../90/100731.htm
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #7  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaWarlock
The Dove firming lotion is what they were trying to promote with the whole "Real Beauty" campaign. While I applaud it for its presentation of real women who aren't size 00, it does send a mixed message ("Oh its ok that you're not a skeletal waif, as long as you use our firming lotions to keep your skin smooth and taut")
I have to laugh when I see those ads - not a dimple or spot of cellulite in sight! They look like the models on mvm.com (my virtual model). If this stuff works, this is what I will look like in two weeks time

I'm not getting my hopes up!
Old 01-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #8  

LOL I have some from AVON tht a fried gave me I use it sometime but not often enough to make a difference
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #9  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

i use the mary kay version. i guess either i don't pay attention enough to notice a difference, or it just doesn't work. but i love the scent of it and how soft it leaves my skin.

Last edited by jas80; 01-25-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #10  

Yeah same here I love the scent and it makes my flab soft LOL
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 AM   #11  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I've had 3 kids, and gained a lot of weight with each. Nothing I have used has kept me from having that "skin sag" after childbirth-3 c-sections have left me with a big pooch over my scar that has never gone away, even after I got to my normal weight. I am an Avon rep (i'm just informing, here...not selling anything), and they do sell several different kinds for different areas of the body. I have tried several myself, and have noticed a difference on arms and bust, but you do have to use them continuously, and most people need to use them for a few weeks before really having results. They are not expensive, so it's worth it if you are willing to keep it up. Also-any firming creams, whatever brand, work best if you follow the instructions by massaging in for several minutes, because if you bring circulation to a concentrated area, whatever you are trying to have your skin absorb will be more effective.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Frankly, the best thing I've found for skin firming is dry skin brushing. (and lovely omegas and pilates). Dry Skin brushing stimulates the skin and keeps it shrinking along with the rest of you. It also stimulates the lymphatic system (the body's garbage collector) which helps your body remove cellular toxins and improve appearance of skin.

Not to mention that dry brushing turns the skin silky smooth. Check it out! http://store.annabellina.com/dryskbr.html
Closed Thread