Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #1  

Question Reliv

Hi,

I've been looking for a better vitamin, and recently met someone who started taking Reliv - NOT for weight loss, just general health.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the NON-WEIGHT LOSS products. I just want a good vitamin that doesn't make me sick to my stomach.

So, is there anyone out there who has actually taken the product? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #2  
it's always something

The biggest problem with Reliv, and similar MLM products, is that they are way overpriced for what they are, because their priority is $$$. They really aren't any better quality than similar products you may buy at Vitamin Shoppe. I just browsed their nutrition/ingredient labels and didn't see anything that should warrant such high prices. You don't get anything more than you would get if you took a cheap daily multi-vitamin tablet, except for the 7 grams of protein in the powder. A glass of skim milk will give you that.

I don't know anyone that has used their products. But I'm concerned that regular vitamins make you sick to your stomach. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? S/he may be able to pin down the problem. Most regular multi-vitamins should be fine, especially if you take them with a meal. Some of the mega-dose vitamins may cause problems, because high dosages of some vitamins or minerals can cause an upset stomach. A regular One-a-Day type vitamin is all most of us need. But the One-a-Day Weight Smart makes a lot of people sick.

Berkeley Wellness has a good guide to choosing vitamins on their site at http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html...tivitamins.php

Dr. Weil (and several other references I checked) suggests that the iron may be the culprit in this article
http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA357902/ so you want to try a vitamin without iron.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #3  

Suzanne,

Thanks for the input. I haven't talked to my Doctor about the vitamins, but I will the next time I see her. I had a full check-up a few months ago, and everything was good.

I've been taking the same vitamins I give my son - the Bugs Bunny kind, but I take 2 instead of 1. I just wasn't sure if I'm getting what I need, since the other ones I was taking seemed to have quite a bit more in them. But, like you said, maybe they were mega dose, thus causing the sickness. I do eat a good amount of vegetables and some fruit, so hopefully I'm getting most of what I need through the food I put in my mouth.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #4  
it's always something

Has your stomach bothered you since taking the Bugs Bunny vitamins? According to their website, Bugs Bunny vitamins contain 100% of the RDA for kids and adults for most of the vitamins they include. So if you take two, then you are getting twice as much as you needed, and this even includes twice as much iron.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #5  

Yeah, I feel fine taking them. Maybe I'll cut back to 1 and see if there's any change. I think I was taking 2 because some of the levels on the adult column were lower than the child column. I think... I'll have to look at it again.

I think another thing that got me wondering about my supplements was my chiropractor. In her office she has been advertising this machine (Biophonic?) that checks your antioxident levels and tells you what you're missing from your diet/supplements, and of course there's some vitamins to fix you up. I haven't tried it, but it did start me wondering if I'm missing something. I'm sure if all my blood work was fine at the Doctor's office, my diet and supplements are working fine too.

Thanks for the support.
Closed Thread