Hey there --
I am an extremely satisfied JC client - I've lost over 170 pounds so far, and am working on those last 7 or 8. It truly does work for real people -- in fact, the people in the commercials and who are featured as "success stories" on the web site ARE actual JC clients as well. I know because I've been asked by my center more than once to apply to be featured ... heh heh
There's lots of good info on the JC web site about the program, and there is also a JC message board that you can read and participate in without being a client. But, here's what I like about JC:
- First and foremost, it is balanced and sensible. It's not a starvation plan, it follows the USDA guidelines, no food group or single food is considered bad; it's all about context.
- It provides individual consultations; you are not left to fend for yourself or attend group meetings. I knew I needed that 20 minutes of "me time" where ONLY my questions and needs were considered, to have that anchor in my week.
- The program is designed so that you start out with a really clear structure and instructions and you don't have to make a lot of decisions about menu planning, cooking, etc. You learn these things over time, but when you're getting started your not so overwhelmed with choices.
- The vast majority of the food is pretty good, much of it better than similar meals you could buy in the grocery store.
- You can try out the program with a trial membership -- usually something like 20 pounds for $20, not including the cost of the food. This gives you a chance to see if it fits you without your having to commit to a full membership.
- It emphasizes lifestyle change over diet. The point of the program is to teach you how to eat for the rest of your life, and to help you evaluate your food and activity patterns in the context of your whole life.
Like any other program, though, the tools only work if you use them. It's not a magic bullet, and following it brainlessly isn't going to get you long-term success. And, it simply doesn't suit every single person, no one program does. But, it DOES work and there are plenty of people who've found success with it.
If you have any other questions, post them here or send me a private message and I'll be happy to answer them.