Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #1  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

Default what the *@#%!!? $153.00 per bottle?

Just saw a commercial for some diet pill that was 153/bottle.
I am the hugest skeptic in the world, so unless I see heaps of proof, I am not going to believe one single diet pill works.

This commercial just makes me so angry. Using the "It must work cause it's so expensive" angle. The worst part is so poor shmo is going to fall for this.

I kinda hate to say this but I wish there were stricter regulations on these snake oil salesmen.

Just had to vent, although I would be curuios to see what these "miracle" ingredents are.

thanks all.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #2  

I totally agree with you. I cannot stand that commercial, either.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:40 PM   #3  
prepare for the BEST time

They must have reduced the price....I've seen "Leptopro" in Walmart's diet section for about $36.00 per bottle (for those serious dieters not the casual dieters, oh BARF)...... (what a crock)...I must have looked at the ingredients, but don't remember anything outstandingly special. Just what does "Leptopro" stand for?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Are they still showing that commercial? The one with the lady who is 'warning' people who are NOT 'seriously overweight' to stay away lest they lose too much weight??

And of course y'all know that this $153 diet pill has the same stuff in it that the cheaper diet pills have - bitter orange, guarana, etc. etc. Bitter orange is the 'diet pill industry's' subsitute for ephedra right now...

The name doesn't really MEAN anything. I think they got it from "Leptin" which has been researched in the past as a possible way to lose weight, and figured people would glom onto that and think they were related. At least it's not as tasteless a name as 'Anorex'.

And I agree...I do wish they can be stopped from doing business. But at this point, the best course of action to follow is Caveat Emptor - don't believe everything you read...even on message boards...DON'T buy any diet pill until you at LEAST get to see what exactly is in it (and I don't mean 'our proprietary blend of natural herbs that we like to call <insert fancy fictional name here>' - I mean actual INGREDIENTS) and can measure it up against some of the kajillion or so other products on the market - you can also check www.supplementwatch.com to get the skinny on the ingredients as well...and OH yeah...don't expect miracles.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #5  
it's always something

Marbleflys, the walmart version is not the same as the Leptoprin that is sold via the commercial, though it is no doubt similar in contents and usefulness. I agree with MrsJim, the name is based on "leptin" and is meant to fool you, as are the claims in the commercial.

We did an article on Leptoprin early last year which may interest you. They have changed their formula since, though, and we have the labels of the new products, and really should update our article. However, the stimulant free version sent at least one woman to the emergency room, and she didn't have the bottle with her for the doctor to see what she took. She called leptoprin customer service and they refused to give her the ingredients over the phone! A doctor was finally able to get them to fax it to them, so they could treat her.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diets/lept...ts-exposed.php is our original article. Scroll down to the 4th paragraph and read what the Oprah magazine revealed about their claims. It truly teaches to to take it all with a grain of salt.

We received an incredible amount of email in response to that article, I think we stopped counting after 1,000. ! It was amazing how many people said they felt sick when they read it because they had just ordered it, but called to cancel their orders. It was also amazing how many people said they tried it and either became ill, or had no results at all. We didn't receive ONE positive email in all of that.

The NEW Leptoprin labels are here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diets/leptoprin/ You'll need Adobe Acrobat installed to view them (which you should have) As you can see, there's still nothing there that you need, and it's still not worth $153.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #6  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

great info. thank-you both.
wow reading about the alergic reactions makes me even madder. I think I am going to write some letters to complain.

As always I will keep to my "complicated" eating plan and exercise(sarc)
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

'When is a diet pill worth $153? When it WORKS!'

<rolls eyes>
Old 03-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #8  

Well, if it really did work that would be true enough, I guess.

I hate this commercial also. The way the actress looks right into the camera lens and lies so sincerely. The whole "don't buy this unless you are significantly overweight, it's too powerful for the casual dieter!" angle bugs me too. They are deliberately targetting the most desperate people.

That commercial makes me want to slap someone.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #9  

throughout the ages, if you can believe something will magically give you weight loss or hair growth on your head, people would buy it.......

anyone who can't fit into their clothes one day and sees the commercial would secretly WANT to believe it, no matter how much baloney it is......the manufacturer is banking on that, and unfortunately is still in business, making $$ off the scam....if they can still run a commericial on TV during AM prime time. What pisses me off is that many of these ads are sponsors or FITTV or other exercise shows........that are supposed to advocate Health....(I don't know if they are on Discovery or not).

If I had the time, I'd complain formally.........
Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #10  

I took my MIL to her gyno appt a couple of weeks ago and was looking through magazines. One of them was for that new IUD which isn't an IUD, but it is an inter uterine devise of sorts...anyway, the whole magazine 'taught' you about controlling your menstration, birth control, menopause, etc. And wouldn't you know it? This product was listed in every single article. The whole magazine was promoting this product. I'm sorry...but when companies do that, it totally discredits them. Wouldn't they say ANYTHING in order to sell a product to you? OF COURSE!

I'm noticing there are other magazines that do that too. A lot of them I subscribe to. And it really ticks me off because I know that the information that I find in the magazines aren't accurate. It's really frustrating!

If you're going to give me information--fine. But give it to me unbiased and let me weight both sides~
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #11  

Isn't an IUD an Intra Uterine Device, hence the initials, I.U.D?....I used this birth control method years ago, but thought it was no longer a treatment of choice since Norplant or patch or depo-provera is easier...less invasive on the body functions?

just curious.....and yes, I agree about the magazines promoting all the junky false advertisements....
Old 03-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #12  
No description available.

Ahhh, birth control! One of my favorite topics...

Norplant was pulled off the market several years ago.

Depo provera is a shot of progesterone a woman can get every three months.
Pros are that you don't take a pill every day, menses can cease
Cons are recent data showing bone density loss, having to go get shots and lots of spotting

IUDs: definitely still a treatment of choice. There are 2 kinds, the copper IUD (good for 10 years) and the Mirena (plastic with progesterone-good for 5 years)
Pros: have it placed and it lasts for years...no pills or shots to remember, the copper one has no hormones, so for women who want to avoid hormones it is a good choice. The Mirena has a small hormonal effect on the uterine lining, so that women frequently have light periods or no periods.
Cons: not appropriate for women who might be exposed to STDs.

Patch: same drugs as in combined oral contraceptives, just absorbed through a patch. Have to remember to change the patch once a week. Good birth control, if it doesn't fall off.

I think in my practice IUDs are probably the most popular, followed by the patch or pills. Depo is falling out of favor due to the bone loss concerns.

Anyway, women should choose a method in partnership with their midwife, doc, or other provider.

Jen
Old 04-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #13  

It's like the IUD, but it's different in that it doesn't last as long--the Mirena thing...
Old 04-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #14  

hmmmm, I need to check this out...I dread the trip to the obie/gyn....but it is past time to go anyway. thanks!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #15  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

Height: 5'7"

Question Leptopril

It's a cheaper version of Leptrprin and actually within my price range, especially with my 20% Gold Card discount.

Anyway, it says it's a stimulant and suppoedly also reduces appetite. I've tried several other diet pills before with little success. We'll see if this is in that catagory. It was $40 for a month supply, but I got it for $32 with my discount. It's the generic version of the one that screams "Not to be used as a casual diet-aid!" Yeah, right.

I just took the first two pills about an hour ago, so we'll see how this goes.

Has anyone had any success using Leptopril (or Leptoprin) to augment a diet and excercise program? I just want a little help. I can lose weight very well on my own, but it's hard and takes forever.

Last edited by FatVictoria; 09-07-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Closed Thread