3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Colon Cleansing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/64566-colon-cleansing.html)

Safiyah_is_Fluffy 09-02-2005 07:22 PM

Colon Cleansing

Has Anyone Heard Much About It, I Heard That Its A Healthy Thing To Do Once A Year And Might Help With Weight Loss Because It Makes The Intestine More Able To Readily Absorb Nutrients Which Helps You Energy Level....anybody Heard About It??

obsessed 09-02-2005 07:34 PM

my mom drinks 2 to 3 glasses of what appears to be a mixture of organic colon cleansing powder and water everyday. the colon cleansing powder supposedly has a lot of organic vegetable powder in it. im not sure if it works but i dont think theres harm done. according to her though, it makes her go to the bathroom very easily. ive even come across colon cleansing products that promises weight loss :raises eyebrow: my theory is, it wont hurt to do it once a while. its like detoxing your system. :)

Suzanne 3FC 09-02-2005 08:41 PM

It's generally considered a "health scam" unless you have some sort of physical problem and your doctor recommends a special treatment.

This thread might give you some info :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63318

paulzgrrl 09-28-2005 09:19 AM

Meh, from what I understand, the colon cleanses itself.

jillybean720 09-28-2005 10:25 AM

I agree--your body knows how to clean itself out, so unless you've got some sort of "backup" or other medical problem, I wouldn't waste my time. I have heard of some people having success on certain colon cleanse diets, but only because they make you eat nothing but fruits and veggies and maybe some sort of pills or drinks, so of course you'd lose weight--you're hardly eating anything, and everything you're eating comes right out the other end :p

carla49 09-28-2005 05:01 PM

Yesterday and the day before I ate rather a lot of raw carrot sticks (carrots were on special), and yesterday I had chili soup for lunch and a black bean /corn based dinner. If my colon isn't "cleansed" today, it never will be! Oops, gotta run. :rofl:

marbleflys 09-29-2005 03:29 PM

yep, a good dose of foods rich in fiber will "cleanse" your colon automatically, there's a reason why Mom always pushed the vegetables....good sources are lentil soup, an apple, oatmeal, fiber1 cereal, etc.

Star 09-29-2005 03:50 PM

Your colon can't always clean itself. There are things like chronic constipation, chemo therapy, other medicines and conditions that build a wall of like 'crust' on the inner lining of the intestine.
In these cases, (mine is cc) the colon cleanse really helps deslove the buildup, makes the intenstine stronger (becuz of the massage) and with time can make work things move better.
It is not really suppose to be intended for weight loss. That is a star thing, they fast then cleanse, which is unhealthy.
With my cleanses I did not lose weight but I felt great relief, I had about four, once a week at $60 each. I had to stop becuz I found out I need utro-vaginal prolapse surgery, which is the cause of cc. Not caused by the colon cleanse.

paulzgrrl 09-30-2005 11:21 AM

That's the point, tho - most healthy adults do not need this procedure. Unless, like you said Star, they have an imbalance that would necessitate a cleansing. I wouldn't have one without the advice of a doc.

Star 09-30-2005 11:27 AM

Paulzgirl - I would agree about talking to your doctor first. With certain conditions, they are not safe and can actually be harmful. Prior to having the cleanse you do have to fill out a release form. However if you are not certain about your internal health, you shouldn't have one.
I think the poster of this thread was thinking colon cleanse is an add to weight loss, that is not the case.

happydaisy 09-30-2005 11:42 AM

Just like all other cells in the body (think skin) cells in the colon slough off naturally. Every 5-7 days your colon has a completely new lining. Karla - :lol: you are hilarious! The best thing you can do to keep your colon "clean" is eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water.

Star 09-30-2005 11:56 AM

happydaisy - When I saw what had been inside me I knew it had been there for along time.......that natural sloughing wasn't happening here. I also eat pleanty of fiber, veggies and water, avoid red meat and nothing works to move things along.
I think everyone is different and there is no 'general' advice given to form an opinion, other than your doctor for your situation.

jillybean720 09-30-2005 12:11 PM

Star--no one is saying you are wrong. It has already been mentioned in this thread that medical conditions or a doctor's orders are valid reason where a colon cleansing may be necessary (as in your case with the cc). However, for people who do not have a medical condition that directly affect the functionality of their colon, it's pretty pointless--or can at least be replaced by Carla's method :lol:

Star 09-30-2005 12:14 PM

Jill - I'm so sorry and don't mean to beat the colon to death......
But, I have also heard this procedure can be addictive, anyone else?

MrsJim 09-30-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star
Jill - I'm so sorry and don't mean to beat the colon to death......

Now let's not get ANAL about this, you guys... :rofl: :dizzy:

Okay I couldn't resist...