Omega 3 fish oils...?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Has anyone tried these for weight loss..everytime I do I break out!
  • Because of cholesterol issues (my overall number is low, but my "good" cholesterols are TOO low!) my PCP is having me take fish oil capsules. (I've got my husband on them, as well - my doc recommended the Kirkland (Costco) brand as they are a good value and you get the highest dose of the Omega oils.

Dr. Andrew Weil had a nice Q&A on Omegas that you can access here. (not saying I agree with ALL of Dr. Weil's writings across the board but this is pretty common sense info IMO).

Also - here's a good article on WebMD to check out.

Lastly, SupplementWatch's info on Omega-3's.

My personal opinion? I don't think that they help with weight loss per se - I think that most people trying to increase their Omega-3 intake are going to eat healthier ANYWAY (perhaps following a Mediterrean-style WOE) so they might see a weight loss, but if anyone is selling Omega-3's as a weight loss miracle pill on their own...I don't think so. But I wouldn't dissuade anyone from trying to get in more O3's - just don't get suckered into buying unnecessarily pricey ones because they advertise it as a weight loss aid!
  • I recently added omega three to my regimen. I used it on my ADHD kids, and even my regular kid tried it. It does help your overall health. It is not a weight loss aid in actuality but you do feel better after being on for a while.

It is like everything else, alone it does nothing but with diet and exercise it does great.
  • I totally agree. Fish oil, or Omega-3 oils, have nothing to do with weight loss. But they are good for your heart, and our goal is overall health, not just weight loss. If you eat fish a few times a week, then you should get enough naturally. If not, then you may consider fish oil capsules. Don't overdo it, though, because it can thin your blood too much and increase your chances of hemorrhagic stroke. I take 3 grams daily, but I believe the recommended dosage for the average, healthy person is 1 or 2 grams. I take 3 because it was recommended by my cardiologist. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the frequency and severity of my heart arrhythmias. Taking more than 3 grams probably should only done on the advice of your physician. Even I had problems when I had dental work done earlier in the year. I was bleeding so much that they thought I was on prescription blood thinners and wanted to stop the procedure. I went back a few weeks later after stopping the fish oil temporarily.

To learn more about fish oil, I'd recommend the links MrsJim posted, as well as a few articles from WebMd.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/65/72744.htm
    http://my.webmd.com/content/article/42/1668_51456.htm

Btw, I take Natrol Purified Fish oil. It costs about 8.99 for a bottle of 120 softgels. Walgreens often has it buy one - get one free.

I'm surprised the fish oil made you break out. It's really a tiny amount of fat, especially compared to what is in our meals. A bowl of oatmeal has more fat than a dosage of fish oil capsules. Besides, dermatologists say that it is a myth that fatty foods cause breakouts. If this continues, you might want to change your makeup or cleanser, or ask your doctor for help with it.
  • Ingesting fish oil or flaxseed oil regularly smooths and softens my skin, which tends to shrivel up in the Arizona sun otherwise ... so I don't care if it helps with weight loss or not, I take it.
  • I take fish oil to help maintain good heart health--I get the odorless kind at Costco.

I don't think high omega-3 intake per se will help weight loss. But people who consume a lot of omega-3 fatty acids via food tends to have good dietary habits (and most likely, active lifestyles) which contributes to healthy weight.
  • I take the salmon oil from Costco. I do it to try to boost my HDL and my doctor has instructed me to take 3 g (pills) per day. No side affects whatsoever.
  • Hi,

I've been taking a fairly high dose of fish oil (Metagenics) for several months. It was recommended by my naturopath for my arthritis and very high CRP (bad stuff for heart attacks).

I've noticed a big improvement in being able to walk longer distances without as much pain. It's about as effective as the Vioxx I was on before it was banned.

I haven't had a problem with blood thinning to date (i.e. bleeding gums, bruising), but you need to check with your doc if you are already on blood thinners or other blood thinning supplements.

I'll be getting some blood tests done next month and it will be interesting to see if it has had a positive effect on my LDL chloresterol and the CRP.

As far as weight loss - I don't think it is a factor, but I have been losing weight, partly because I'm able to be more active.

If you are interested in the subject of fish oil, heart disease, inflammation, etc. I would highly recommend a new book "The Anti-Inflammation Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears (The Zone Diet).
  • I've been on it at about 2g/day and I've noticed a huge change in my skin and hair/nails. My skin isn't as dry, and it's been smoother (which is great, I have sensitive skin). I just buy the fish oil caplets at WalMart -- they're cheap, and they're purified to keep mercurcy or PCPs out.
  • i take it and also give it to my dog... who had a lot of itchy scratchy issues.. and he would scratch & pull his hair out.. and his coat looks beautiful now!
  • I was taking two aday like the bottle suggested, but it made everything I ate taste like fish to me....lol i was beginning to think i could smell fish all the time so i cut down to just one aday, i bought a new brand since my old brand was sold out and this new brand makes me belch fish its not as gentle as my old brand......I dont use it to loose weight, I use it for healthir hair skin and heart.
    Michelle
  • My understanding from what I have read is that Omega 3 (1) and Omega 6 (2) need to be balanced to get the weight loss benefit. It is also VERY important that you get fish oil from clean water sources or they will most likely contain mercury and other contaminants.

Now my personal experience with them is that I don't react that well for some reason with them either; HOWEVER, I have found that going to a nice japanese restaurant three times a week for lunch and having a 12 piece sashimi (raw fish) with a nice salad and a 1/2 a cup of rice really helps keep down my mild psoriasis (skin condition) that likes to pop up a bit in the Winter, doesn't make me break out in acne, and makes me happy (due to the seratonin increase that Omega 3 boosts naturally). And since I hear that having this for lunch is a good part of any good diet then it seems like a good thing to do.

Currently I am prequalifying diets to find the right one for me to go on. I'm leaning toward the Cortisol Connection Diet right now but those darn fake pills falsely promoting weight loss on television are making me wonder if the diet itself is legitimate. The Cortisol Connection Diet does not recommend the use of pills like Relacore and Cortislim at all by the way.

Sincerely,

Mr. Paul

(1) Omega 3 link: http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...992_HS,00.html

(2) Omega 6 link: http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...5,1037,00.html
  • Quote: It is also VERY important that you get fish oil from clean water sources or they will most likely contain mercury and other contaminants.
    What he ^^ said Yet another reason that flax seeds, flax oil, walnuts and walnut oil are better Omega 3 sources for some.
  • I have started on the flax seed oil. When I saw on the fish oil label that some where coated to reduce aftertaste and some not. I figured forget it. I will get something I know I will swallow in the first place. I do like fish, but not on my pills. I have been on the flax seed oil for over a month. I am doing it for health--cholesterol too high and I didn't want to take the statin drugs. Trying a more natural route to begin with. I do feel better but I also started a high potency multi-vitamine/multimineral at the same time. It has CoQ10 in it, something else supposedly good for the heart. I sure hope its worth taking these gigantic pills.
  • I AM TAKING Omega3,6,9.I don,t find it helping my weight loss but it has been helping my overall health .I take 2tbsp. a day.I make a smoothy and drink that.Otherwise it tastes terrible.Edie