Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #16  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi all...

I recently read (in both a book and a magazine) that drinking a minimum of 64 oz of water a day boosts your metabolism by up to 3%. Has anyone else heard this? I feel like a goof because I can't recall WHERE I read this...I think the magazine may have been American Airlines in-flight magazine, and the book was some new "Green Super Foods" book my friend has -- she's in the UK (with the book ) and I can't remember the title...

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:33 AM   #17  

S/C/G: CW: 102.8

Height: 5'3"

LovesBassets, I haven't heard those precise numbers, and I don't know if water could really speed up your metabolism, but water DOES help to aid digestion, cleanse the body, and hydrate it. Water is one thing I can drink without feeling bad about, and I drink about one liter per day...or I try to, anyway.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #18  

It sounds like some of you who describe feeling much better drinking water were talking about the difference between being adequately hydrated and dehydrated. One of my friends is a medical writer. She told me that once a person is hydrated, they are hydrated. There is no additional benefit to being overly hydrated. Basically if your urine is pale, that is enough. Of course, there are all kinds of variables. Is it possible that people lose weight by drinking more water? It could be that while it doesn't increase fullness, it gives the person some "hand to mouth" action that takes the place of snacking. It could even be a placebo effect. If it works for you, then take advantage of it. I just don't think people who have a hard time drinking it should feel badly about it. Everything I read from reliable sources indicates that there is no magical weightloss effect from it.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #19  

I think that its not so much that drinking water speeds up your metabolism, as NOT drinking enough slows it down.
Closed Thread