Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #1  

Default Hypnosis, anyone?

I was thinking of trying hypnosis with my normal ww program? has anyone out their tryed it and how was it?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #2  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Well, my mom did it with smoking several years ago (maybe 10?) and it ABSOLUTELY worked...she still does not smoke to this day. However, the guy doing the hypnosis explained that it can only work if you REALLY want it to. If you are skeptical at all, it probably will not work according to that particular group.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #3  

thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

In the past week I just read an interesting article regarding hypnosis and weight loss (it was either in the latest issue of Oprah's magazine or Shape - I think it was Shape) written by a doctor. I read it with interest because as some of you may recall, I have actually gone the hypnosis route about 10 or so years ago. It worked for me (up to a point) but I'm pretty sure it was because I WANTED it to work. But out of the 20 or so women who I saw at the hypnosis center, I was like the ONLY one who lost any measurable weight!

This will probably interest you, Christy - the article (which I'm going to have to dig up - I read it at the nail salon on Friday) stated that hypnosis seems to be FAR more successful for quitting smoking than it is for weight loss. (wish I had the article right in front of me...dang...) Personally I think that is pretty true, since I know at least two people who have used hypnosis to stop their ciggie habit and been pretty successful. But ya know...it's the old saying - you can quit tobacco and alcohol or drugs (etc) but you can't quit food cold turkey - you've gotta eat.

I did manage to find ONE article online that wasn't hawking some sort of hypnosis tape or product, on Vanderbilt University's website.

Check this quote out from the above link:

Quote:
Most studies require weekly consultation with a hypnotist for 8 weeks or more in addition to self-hypnosis (Bolocofsky et al., 1984; Bolocofsky et al., 1985, Andersen, 1985; Cochrane & Friesen, 1986; McCabe et al., 1985). Internet advertisers who claim weight loss will occur following a single hypnotic session, especially a group hypnotic session, are frauds selling dreams to desperate customers. Allison and Faith (1996) underscore that "there is currently no panacea for the treatment of obesity and hypnosis is no exception". Treatment using hypnosis then is not a quick and easy way out of weight troubles. In order to achieve any benefits from its use, hypnosis must be practiced on a regular basis for a significant period of time.
(In my case, I went to a certified hypnotist 2x/week for 12 weeks; PLUS listened to one of several self-hypnosis tapes each morning just after waking up.)

Quote:
When combined with a behavioral weight management program, hypnosis has been shown to be an effective treatment for low to moderate amounts of weight loss. One qualification of this statement is that the hypnotic program should be tailored to each individual. Hypnosis is a process by which an individual enters a state of relaxation and heightened suggestibility, Transformation of the brain through some mysterious process defines only the hypnosis of pseudoscientists. Hypnosis should be considered a time intensive program requiring considerable effort. The only people who claim hypnosis is easy, simple, and quick are those trying to sell people on their program. The dearth of findings for men and studies with subjects matched on relevant characteristics limits the generalizability of the positive findings. The largest obstacle in weight loss is its long-term retention, but follow-ups of hypnosis as a weight loss treatment have been conducted at the longest after two years. Weight loss tapes lack scientific evidence to support their success and should be purchased with this knowledge in mind. Weight loss through hypnosis has been largely ignored by scientists and more studies with control groups and large subject pools are required to understand its action and import. Hypnosis should be considered beneficial for limited weight loss only when combined with another form of treatment.
Okay I JUST HAD to add this here...anyone else see the film "Office Space"?? Whenever I think of hypnotists I always think of Peter going to his girlfriend's hypnotherapist 'deeper and deeper...way down'...
Old 07-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I've used self-hypnosis tapes that referenced weight loss but they didn't have much effect as far as I could tell. I can't relax or sit still long enough to really listen to 'em! As far as being "hypnotized" that doesn't happen for me.

I think actual ongoing sessions with a real hypnotherapist might be beneficial for some people, though, in the same way going to any reputable therapist can be of benefit, if only that focus is being put on problem solving and attention is being paid to the individual, so if one were going to a hypnotherapist in order to help with weight loss, it might have the effect of helping to accomplish that because it'd improve the focus and mindset. Dunno. Could work.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #6  

Went to a hypnotist 25 yrs ago...Still here with the same issues....I don't think it worked for me!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #7  

I did it about two- three years ago and it did not work at all. I truly WANTED it to work, but it just didnt. My mom went to a hypnotist for smoking and weightloss and neither worked for her either.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:22 PM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Boy, glad I checked this thread out. I had just seen an advertisement in my mailbox this afternoon for the hypnotist that's coming to my local Marriott. Even told hubby I thought I would give it a try for $40. Sounds like I'd be better off throwing my $40 out the window. No quick fixes!
Old 07-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #9  

I tried hypnosis for weight loss also. I went to a hypnotist/therapist. It did not work for me. Then I tried it with tapes..it did not work for me either..
I am a believer in hypnosis..but it didnt work for me for weight loss.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

I've tried hypnotherapy for both smoking and weight loss.

My experience is directly in line with MrsJim's post. I stopped smoking right after my hypnosis session in March 2003 and that was it. I went from nearly 2 packs a day to being a non-smoker. I find smoking and the smell of smoke utterly distasteful now, and I'd been a smoker for more than 20 years. Cant stand to be within 4 feet of a smoker.

I had no luck for weight loss. It just didnt work.

I think it has to do with the fact that when you have hypnosis to stop smoking, thats just it - you STOP doing the thing you want to do. With eating, we cant stop, we have to re-educate ourselves and CHANGE the way we eat.

Of course, the success of hypnotherapy for stopping smoking is strongly dependent on two factors. How much the person wants to stop - you have to really want to stop. And the skill and training of the therapist.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/202.2/155

Height: 5'6.5

Smile more questions about hypnotherapy

Hey all
I realize this thread is older, but I'm wondering what kind of hypnotic suggestion was used for the people who had the therapy for weight loss???? I totally agree that the difference between HT (hypnotherapy) for stop smoking and HT for weight loss is very different 'cause of our need to eat, but what if one went to HT to quit fast and junk foods......
Did anyone who tried HT find any effect at all? how many sessions?
thanks
Tracy
Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I know my uncle went to a hypnotist about 20 years ago or so when he was first diagnosed with borderline diabetes to give up sweets. To this day he only has sweet foods maybe 3x a year if that.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #13  

I went years ago for weight loss. Like Mrs. Jim said I think it worked for me becuz I wanted it to....They also told me it wouldn't work if you aren't a believer.....
It's like we know what we have to do, but when a professional tells us what to do - it seems more powerful and we want to please them so we do it.....could that be?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

This is interesting - I was skimming through the new (September 2005) issue of O Magazine a couple days ago (between work and personal life activities, I've been VERY much on the go lately...I might have a chance to read the article more indepth this weekend). Anyway, there was an article called the "Yes I Can Diet" that was written by a certified hypnotherapist. It was quite good actually - the author is not the type of hypnotist that works with a hotel conference room filled with people who paid $60 each to be mass hypnotized into solving their diet issues in 45 minutes (which doesn't work) - she works one-on-one, intimately, with each patient on their underlying issues. That is probably not a very good synopsis (and I didn't see the article mentioned on the Oprah site; I don't have the issue here with me at the moment) but when I have the opportunity in the next few days, I'll read it in depth and comment further.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #15  

I have a self-hypnosis weight-loss CD that I got online for about $35.00. The first time I listened to it I was very skeptical and got almost all of the way through it before falling asleep. I woke up feeling refreshed and great and full of energy!

I listen to it almost every day - usually during a "nap" time or right before going to sleep. I found that it helps - but I have to use it every day. I admit I wake up feeling motivated and happy! I seem to be able to have an EASIER time of making good food choices and excersize. I say EASIER because it's not a "quick fix".

If I don't listen to it for a day - I have a harder time avoiding sweets and working out. It's a definite AID to my weight-loss. It does not work for me to just listen to the tape and my body sheds pounds. It actually motivates me internally to eat better and work out more.

I WISH I could just listen to it and wake up a few pounds lighter, though! Someone invent THAT and I'll give you my life-savings!
Closed Thread