Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:08 AM   #1  

Default ~~Zetacap~~

Is this bull or FDA approved? Is there really Gastric Bypass Surgery in a bottle?

A girlfriend of mine, her mother found this in an e-mail so I am coming here to get some feedback before she buys is and it 1# Can have bad side effects or 2# A Waste of money.

~~Side Note~~ I have 58lbs to lose and I am getting bored of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch, what can I throw into it to give it a bit of a mix and a leave from being bored, 3lbs down in a week, so 55lbs to go!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #2  
it's always something

There's no such thing as gastric bypass in a bottle. It's a ripoff, and a pretty lowdown one at that. On another note, pass along warnings to your friends mother not to read spam, lol, that's usually a good sign you are about to get scammed.

I'm short on time at the moment, and this will take a long time, but I'll be glad to research the ingredients and show what they can and can't do, sometime next week.

In the meantime, tell her that if these pills really worked, we wouldn't all be overweight. Our doctors would be pushing them, as well as the health insurance companies, hospitals, and it would make the headlines on CNN But instead, we hear about them via SPAM, right along side get rich quick schemes and penis enlargements. What does that say about the product?

Regarding the breakfast, maybe you can make a post in the food forum for new breakfast ideas. I like homemade smoothies, egg white omelets, toast and fruit, apple bran muffins, etc.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't know anything about zetacap. But I can offer what I like for breakfast.
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese (protein)
1/4 cantaloupe (carb)
1 cup strawberries (carb)
12 peanuts (fat)
I put it all in one bowl and eat it together like a sundae. I really like it.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies, and SZ that pretty much does sum of Spam...LOL

Smoothie. great, thanks! Your Sundae sure sounds fun!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #5  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

whoa.. from the people's "reviews" on it, it kind of sounds like your just starving yourself with the pills. You can do the same thing with the hunger by eating more times a day with better choices for meals.

Then again, I'm against all diet pills!!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabriena
whoa.. from the people's "reviews" on it, it kind of sounds like your just starving yourself with the pills. You can do the same thing with the hunger by eating more times a day with better choices for meals.

Then again, I'm against all diet pills!!

That is basically what it does...I bought it once.....I lost 5lbs on it but then I stopped taking it, I never did regain that weight, but when you take it, it absorbs all the fluids and turns into like a gel in your stomach that takes your system a while to break down, so then it staves off that "hungry" feeling since your body is busy trying to break it down.....
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Let's break down those exotic-sounding ingredients, shall we?? (I bet that you'll discover that their common names are ingredients we've seen used in an infinite amount of previously issued scammy diet supplements...)

(the hyperlinks posted in each ingredient description lead to either the corresponding page at supplementwatch.com or other information site)

Note that one of the main ingredients is Xanthum Gum - which is often used as a thickening agent; basically it's a fiber, like guar gum.

Cassia angustifolia (aka Senna) is a pretty strong laxative (also the 'secret ingredient' of those dieter's teas that were so popular back in the 1990's).

Capsicum Frutescens is more commonly known as a Tabasco chile. According to SupplementWatch, it's used as a mild digestive aid, and MAY have MODEST effects on metabolism in very high doses (3 grams or more). I'm no scientist, but I don't think you're getting 3 grams of Tabasco in these pills.

Plantago major sounds fancy, but it's just Latin for the common plantain, which has laxative and diuretic properties.

Fucus vesiculosus is also known as Bladderwrack...doesn't that sound appetizing...let's just quote SupplementWatch on the value of this ingredient:
Quote:
For its most frequently made claims as a dietary supplement (increased energy and weight loss), bladderwrack has not been shown to be effective. As such, its primary value is probably as a crude source of iodine (but an expensive one at that).
Konjac Radix is more commonly known as Glucomannan...which you can buy in pretty much any drugstore for a LOT less than these pills. This is yet ANOTHER of the ingredients that is a LAXATIVE.

Echinacea purpurea - who hasn't heard about the oft-touted alleged benefits of Echinacea? It MIGHT be good for preventing colds and flu, but weight loss? I dun thin so...

Ananas Comosus is basically, PINEAPPLE (yup, that's right, PINEAPPLE) which also has laxative qualities: "Pineapple juice from unripe fruits acts as a violent purgative, and is also anthelmintic and ecbolic. Ripe fruit juice is diuretic, but in large doses may cause uterine contractions."

Allium sativum is garlic...

Zingiber officinale is ginger...

llex paraguariensis is Yerba Mate:

Quote:
Derived from the leaf of the plant. Yerba mate contains caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine, which are responsible for the stimulant activity of this herb. No clinical studies have evaluated its efficacy, although there is extensive experience with each of the previously mentioned chemicals. Epidemiologic studies conducted in the past decade indicate that chronic mate drinkers are at an increased risk of bladder, oral, esophageal , and lung cancer. Frequently reported adverse effects include insomnia, restlessness, agitation, nausea, vomiting, and headache. Yerba mate may interact with many prescription medications. Increased or altered activity of beta-adrenergic agonists, CNS stimulants, theophylline, diuretics, and caffeine-containing beverages may occur with concomitant administration. Patients with hypertension, cardiac disorders or anxiety, or women who are pregnant or breast feeding, should not consume yerba mate.
Filipendula ulmaria is known as "meadowsweet" and is used for cold symptoms and also has aspirin-type components.

Hypericum Perforatum is St. John's Wort.

Valeriana officianalis is valerian, used as a mild sleep aid...

So there you have it...basically as ALWAYS, there is nothing new here...just another supplement company trying to rip everyone off by using the Latin/scientific names for their ingredients, to make them look all fancy-schmancy.

It would be cheaper and perhaps more effective to just take some Metamucil daily, if you're trying to 'fill your stomach'. (but then again, for a lot of people, physical hunger has very little to do with appetite or overeating...)
Old 12-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Girl
Is this bull or FDA approved? Is there really Gastric Bypass Surgery in a bottle?

A girlfriend of mine, her mother found this in an e-mail so I am coming here to get some feedback before she buys is and it 1# Can have bad side effects or 2# A Waste of money.

~~Side Note~~ I have 58lbs to lose and I am getting bored of oatmeal for breakfast and lunch, what can I throw into it to give it a bit of a mix and a leave from being bored, 3lbs down in a week, so 55lbs to go!!!

In my opinion, you can lose weight only in your wallet by buying into all this pill hype! Also, if you look at Mrs. Jim's breakdown of ingredients, you'll note that the supplements can be purchased separately if you want to try some of them, but some are quite potent natural substances that might or might not be dangerous taken together ... St. John's Wort is actually an antidepressant and taken over time, does seem to help people ... I've used it and found it helpful, but not for weight loss.

Truly, unless you are taking a prescription weight loss aid under the guidance of a licensed medical provider, I'd say you are barkin' up the wrong tree entirely. There's no reason on earth to believe you can't lose 58 pounds the good ol' fashioned way ... and you don't have to eat borin' food ... and honestly, I'm not meanin' to sound sarcastic 'cause I know how ye feel!

It's just that, why enrich those zetacap folks who only wanna separate you from your money, when just eating carefully and upping the ol' exercise can do 'er for you.

All this is my opinion only. My only caveat is that weight loss aides prescribed by a physician are a different kettle o' fish ... but otherwise ...

Anyhoo ... my current low glycemic breakfast favorite is a "cobbler" ... I layer frozen fruit (about a quarter of a cup) in a microwaveable bowl (blueberries or cherries, usually, have used peaches and apples), then layer a quarter of a cup of dry porridge oats (the really large, tough kind, but Quaker oats will do ... not the instant kind), top with a quarter of a cup of almond meal flour (it's just crushed almonds but works like a sweet crumbly flour); I tamp this down on top to form a "crust" then spritz with butter spray and microwave two minutes ... let set for a few minutes until the top hardens to a "crust" ... enjoy with a glass of milk.

This becomes a big crumbly cookie if cooked longer and left to cool longer ...

Another breakfast I like is an all-fruit "smoothie" ... add a cheese stick to this ... fruit and ice in mini blender or just a regular smoothie ... fruit and a protein source such as dairy milk, tofu or soymilk.

If you are hooked on sugar, you can sweeten these with Splenda or something.

Peanut butter on whole grain toast.

Wasa crackers (whole grain or oat) and cheese.

Biscuits I make with stone ground whole wheat flour, some kind of oil and baking powder ... flax seed oil would work ... I'm going to try this ... you can add cottage cheese to the recipe for protein ... it's really ok to top this with some real butter ... a little.

Gosh, there's a world o' good stuff to enjoy when losing weight and getting healthy ... who needs a gastic bypass in a bottle ...

It just takes time to get to the goal weight we desire ... time and determination are the best pills around ... it's best to have fun with it and not get frustrated ... getting distracted by "pills" just sets us up for failure.

Good luck.
Closed Thread