Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #1  

Default Bodyflex---scam or reasonable exercise routine?

Anyone tried the Bodyflex program from the infomercials? I know 1-2 years ago, the FCC sued the makers for making false claims. Their back now, having changed their infomercial....Anyone get lasting results????Thanks for your replies Pat
Old 04-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #2  

Hi Yup its has worked for me . I lost 11inches in the first week .
Old 07-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #3  
Rabid Claymate

Bodyflex works for me too.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 PM   #4  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

This is the first time I'm hearing about this, so I did a little bit of research and found out that the maker was sued for false advertising about a year ago. Since then she came up with a new version. I'm just curious - is the one you're using (and that works for you) the "old" or the "new" version? Could you tell me a bit more about the exercises & the eating plan? I'm interested in this, so hearing about your experiences would be very valuable.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Here's a thread about BodyFlex from the 3FC archives:

Body Flex?

Just as a point of reference here is an article regarding their FTC violation:

Quote:
FTC Charges BodyFlex Marketers With False Advertising

NOVEMBER 11, 2003 -- The Federal Trade Commission has sued the marketers of the BodyFlex+ System for falsely advertising that BodyFlex causes fast inch loss and fat loss. The FTC's complaint, filed in federal district court, names as defendants Savvier Inc. and Savvier LP, California companies; their principals, Jack Ching Chung Chang, Jeffrey T. Tuller, and Keith Greer; and BodyFlex "creator" and spokesperson Greer Childers.

The BodyFlex+ System includes a Gym Bar and a breathing technique. The BodyFlex 18-minute "workout" involves several minutes of deep breathing and stretching, followed by exercises with the BodyFlex Gym Bar. The defendants have promoted BodyFlex through a heavily aired national infomercial and on the Internet at xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The defendants claim that, "in just seven days you can lose from four to 14 inches guaranteed with BodyFlex Plus." According to the ads, the BodyFlex breathing is the "secret to burning fat," because it supposedly "will supercharge your blood with fat-burning oxygen and you'll lose inches fast." BodyFlex ads emphasize that the "workout" takes only minutes a day and can be performed sitting down. The defendants stress that the "program is not about food."

"These claims of fast, easy inch loss without diet or exercise exploit the millions of overweight Americans looking for an effective weight-loss and exercise program," said Howard Beales, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection. "Frankly, we think BodyFlex's breathtaking claims are full of hot air."

The FTC complaint alleges that the defendants have falsely claimed that:

1) BodyFlex causes users to lose from four to 14 inches across six body areas in the first seven days without reducing calories;

2) BodyFlex causes users to burn enough body fat to achieve the claimed inch loss in seven days;

(3) A clinical study proves that BodyFlex causes significant fat and inch loss in the first seven days.

The FTC asked the court to issue an immediate temporary restraining order for all defendants, except Childers, to prohibit them from making the challenged false claims, and freezing their assets, and require an immediate accounting. Childers has stipulated to the entry of a temporary order that prohibits her from making the challenged claims, freezes certain of her assets, and requires an accounting. The FTC also is seeking preliminary and permanent injunctive relief, including redress for BodyFlex purchasers.

According to the FTC, the BodyFlex infomercial has been among the 10 most frequently aired infomercials in weekly U.S. rankings, and has aired over 2,000 times from February through September 2003 on national cable channels such as Bravo, The History Channel, and Home & Garden Television. The defendants have spent approximately $22 million to promote BodyFlex through the infomercial, according to the FTC.

The defendants have sold BodyFlex for $39.90, plus $14.95 shipping and handling (totaling $54.85) directly to consumers through their toll-free number or Web site. The product also has been offered for sale on third-party Web sites, such as xxxxx.

The Commission vote to authorize staff to file the complaint was 5-0. The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, in Los Angeles, on November 7, 2003.
Well, from what I see on their current website, they've ramped down their previous claims quite a bit. But still that "breathe yourself thin" is pretty much a crock...I've seen plenty of folks in the Yoga and Pilates classes I've attended (for those not familiar, breathing is a BIG DEAL in both, but I've never heard a Yoga or Pilates instructor say that we'd lose pounds by breathing!) that haven't seemed to 'breathe' off their weight.

Given that, I suppose it's just your basic workout video with a big marketing boost - incidentally, for those thinking of purchasing it, I would suggest you skip the infomercial and website (selling for $43 + $15 S&H) and get it from eBay.

Just keep in mind the disclaimer on the website:

Quote:
RESULTS MAY VARY. TYPICAL RESULTS ARE 4.8 INCHES LOST ACROSS 6 BODY PARTS IN 14 DAYS. RESULTS BASED ON FOLLOWING THE COMPLETE BODY FLEX EXERCISE AND DIET PROGRAM. BODY FLEX PROGRAM IS DEEP BREATHING, EXERCISE AND 1600 CALORIE PER DAY MEAL PLAN. PARTICULAR EFFECTS OF INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #6  

All I can tell is that when I did do the Body Flex I absolutely, positively DID lose inches. I lost 7 inches the first week. I continued to lose inches the entire time that I did it. At that time, it was the only exercise that I was doing. I did some research on this too, and though I didn't bookmark the articles, I did find that it would work and they explained the science behind it. Another thing is that the body flex had a HIGH customer satisfaction rating overall.

Now, did the results last. No because I quit doing it. I quit doing it because it was extremely boring! Not only that, but after the first week or two you are supposed to do the routine twice a day. The second time before you eat supper. At the time, I had infant twins and I just couldn't do anything after they woke up. But I cannot emphasize enough that it did do what it promised to do when I did what I was supposed to!! I will also try to do some searching to find the articles that supported it and link them when I can....my twins are 3 now, but they're not all THAT much easier to deal with! lol

(edited to fix a spelling typo!)

Last edited by mommyto3; 07-13-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/199/155

Height: 5'6"

Hello Everyone--I am new here--but NOT new to dieting and exercise! I had to jump in on this thread-- because I have had GREAT success with breathing (BodyFlex and Lifelift) for inch loss, but not weight loss! I went from a tight 14/16 to a size 8/10 in 5 months with these programs. I only lost about 5 pounds total. (I did NOT diet.) I started with BF then switched to LL. I then got pregnant--(I was 42--thought I was finished with all that!) While I was pregnant, I did Oxycise, which I know helped me stay very small. I only got as big as a size 14 while pregnant. My fisrt 2 pregnancies--years earlier--I was enormous!

Well--just wanted to say--that I love doing the breathing exercises! It worked for me--and continues to work for me. My youngest just turned a year old in May--and I will be 44. I am now back in a size 10. It took me longer to get back because of an injury.

Julie
Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Mommy and Goddess, I have a question (and congrats on your success with the Body Flex) ... this is not an opinion post, I haven't used Body Flex and don't know that much about it except what I've read. I've seen the infomercials but they weren't informative.

Was wondering if there's a lot of "flexing" going on in the exercises ... meaning isometric contractions of various muscles, combined with breathing exercises? If so, does it seem to you that this might be responsible for the inch losses you experienced ... a toning effect from the isometrics combined with getting some deep breathing in (which in yoga ... in my opinion ... ok, there's an opinion ... is part of why the exercises are so relaxing and energizing at the same time as oxygen flow is improved)?

To me this sounds reasonable ... I do isometrics sometimes, as well as yoga and breathing exercise and I do think it adds to the general conditioning effect ... feels good.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/199/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Answer to Amarantha's Questions

Hey--hope this answers your question:

BodyFlex-Lifelift and Oxycise all use isometric exercises. The theory behind that--is--you are flooding that area with oxygen (similar to what high impact aerobic exercise does for you--only without the IMPACT on your body). (Example: take the specific breath--suck in your stomach and hold a position--like a modified crunch for about a count of 8.)

Lots of people use various yoga positions while doing the breathing. I like it because--for me--it is very relaxing--and it works for me. Why would I beat my body up (I cannot run or do aerobics!)--if I could get those results from breathing and isometric exercises?? For me--it's the only way to go.

May I reccomend the book Be a Loser to anyone considering this type of exercise. It shows the positions and explains the breathing--and is available at your local library. It's an easy read. (Just a suggestion)

TTYL--Julie
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

Thanks, Julie! I will look for the book.

Also, Mommy, thanks for the link.

I guess my uninformed opinion is that if it feels good and helps condition the body, any type of exercise is a good thing. I've heard and read some negative things about Body Flex (never heard of Oxycise), but it seems like a good idea to me in some respects and I might try it ... I think it's good to try any and all types of exercise ... it's all good ... I hate doing the same old weights, cardio routine over and over ... body flex sounds like yoga to me ... ahhhhh ... yoga ... peace and physicality all in one package.

Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #11  

I forgot to mention how much more energy I had when I was doing Body Flex! I couldn't believe it at the time. Okay.....all this talk....guess what I'm getting out of the closet in the morning! lol

I've been reading a lot about body flex today since I ran into this thread, and I noticed that most ('almost' all) of the criticism about the body flex is from people who haven't tried it. I was the same way, frankly, but I tried it anyway. I, too, believe that larger people will notice more inches lost more quickly.

I'll take my measurements tonight, do this for a week, and post my results. We'll see if it works again!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

I'll look forward to seeing your results, Mommy!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #13  

I did bodyflex religiously and lost nothing but my money.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 AM   #14  

Okay, here are my results after using a body flex for one week.

First of all, let me say that body flex has you measure yourself in 6 places.

1. 3" above waist -1 inch
2. at waist -1 inch
3. 2" below waist -2 inches
4. 6" below waist -1 inch
5. largest part of upper thigh -1 inch
6. largest part between elbow and shoulder -0 inches

Total inches lost after 1 week = 6

I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't try to either. I also didn't do any other form of exercise. As I said in my previous post, I really get bored with this which is why I don't stick with it...even though I've always gotten results....I should, but I know that I won't.

Deborah
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #15  

That's great Deborah, I need to start using mine also.
Closed Thread