Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #1  

Default Propolene

Has anyone else tried this? I use this and it's the only diet pill that has ever worked on me, Instead of tummy pains and making me crave more food, it actually makes me feel fuller faster and keeps it that way.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well no wonder it makes you feel full - its main ingredient is glucomannan (which the makers of Propolene have decided to 'rename' Propol) which according to Supplementwatch.com is capable of absorbing up to 200 times its own weight in water. (you can read their analysis of glucomannan here).

BTW that diet pill name Propolene absolutely cracks me up - it sounds more like a gasoline ingredient than a diet pill...but I guess they're hard pressed to come up with snazzy names for their overpriced products these days... )

Other than a bit of the usual green tea extract and chromium, glucomannan is the main ingredient...apparently this retails for $80 but is selling for $30 which I guess would be a deal in comparision UNTIL you do a little research (like I did) and find that you can get glucomannan capsules for WAY WAY cheaper...fer instance, I found several websites selling Nature's Way glucomannan - 100 capsules for $7.64 (since it's Nature's Way brand, I would assume that you can also find these in most regular drugstores). Or if you want a really high potency, I found NSI Glucomannan on sale for $9.95 for 180 2,000 mg capsules...

I also need to add here that 'bulking agents' as weight loss aids are nothing new (I remember back in the 1980's when "Fibre Trim" was promoted as the "European way to lose weight", for example). Here's a column written by Stephen Barrett, MD that was posted in 2001...in part:

Quote:
In recent years, health-food stores and Internet marketers have promoted three other fibre-containing ingredients: glucomannan, pectin, and chitosan. Glucomannan is made from the fibres of a Japanese root plant. Some manufacturers of glucomannan products claim they are effective in lowering cholesterol, eliminating ingested chemicals, aiding digestion, and reducing blood-sugar levels. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.

In 1980, Dr. Judith Stern of the University of California conducted a double-blind study in which the test group received 1 gram of glucomannan before meals, while the control group received a placebo. Both groups participated in a behavior modification program and lost weight, but no statistically significant difference in hunger ratings or weight loss was found between the groups.
So there ya go...IMO if you want to use this product, just go with the cheap stuff by REPUTABLE companies such as Nature's Way. (I should add here that upon reading some stuff I googled, the company who is selling Propolene is apparently doing a 'bait and switch' on their customers - saying that the product costs $29.95 and then billing their credit cards for $89.95 or $150 or putting people on continuous drop shipments without their consent. My advise is if you were unwise enough to order from these unscrupulous people in the first place - check your credit card statements, cancel the order both over the phone AND in writing, call the issuer of your Visa card and request a CHARGE BACK right away!)
Old 03-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

And here's one more interesting tidbit I just dug up on this unscrupulous company...

From the CBS6Albany News website:

Quote:
You've seen the ads with doctors touting diet pills — guaranteed to help you shed weight quick for one low price! Well, one woman from the Utica area says she paid for them — then paid the price later:

Sound of tv commercial: "Dramatic weight loss can now be achieved without diet or exercise."

They're the words every dieter longs to hear....

Sound of tv commercial: "I lost 25 pounds in six weeks...I lost seven inches through my waist."

And this diet drug commercial delivered them...

Sound of commercial: "Propolene!"

...claiming to be scientifically proven to reduce weight by the "Obesity Research Institute." That impressed Jessica Gage from the Utica area.

Jessica Gage/Newport, NY: "Well, it sounds prestigious, like it actually will work because a big center like that has researched it."

The 20 year old's tried everything from Richard Simmons to Dr. Robert Atkins to lose weight, but says nothing's worked. Jessica Gage/Newport, NY: "I just want to feel more comfortable with myself."

So, she called and thought she bought the Propolene for $29.99...but says they charged her more like $109.

Jessica Gage: "I was so mad because my account went below zero."

...and she bounced several checks. Jessica did eventually get her money back...but the Better Business Bureau says she's not the first to complain about the company's advertising.

The "Propolene Obesity Research Institute" is located in Reno, Nevada...and the BBB there gives it an unsatisfactory rating, recording 155 complaints since the company opened in February.

Walter Brewster/NY Better Business Bureau: "No company can make advertising claims without substantiating those claims. We asked this company to substantiate those claims and it hasn't. So we cannot trust that company."

To top it off..the so-called "institute" is really no more than a regular house in Reno.

Sound of breaking open pills

The real "New York Obesity Research Institute" at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan wasn't happy about the similarity in names.

Dr. Jana Klauer/NY Obesity Research Center: "These two organizations are not at all related....and I think it's deceptive that they would choose such a name."

As for the list of studies Propolene lists on its web site....Doctor Jana Klauer says they are from respected medical journals. But the studies were on a type of fiber, glucomannan, you can buy at the drug store — not the product. Plus, she says, Propolene's claim to trap fat has not been researched.

As for Jessica Gage, she wants to put the whole thing behind her.

Jessica Gage: "It made me feel dumb, like I was played."

She says she'll keep searching for a new way to lose weight — but not on TV. And, she wants the "Propolene Obesity Research Institute" to either come clean about their price and their product — or close down. Jessica Gage: "They shouldn't put people through this."

We called and e-mailed Propolene to ask them about these allegations but we did not get a response.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #4  

Eh, I don't have to pay for it, so why worry. ^^

*Edit* And I loose like a pound a day so if it really works or not is beyond me. I've been on various diet pills since 7th grade. Plus I'm not really taking it for the fat whatever just to help tummy pains from not eating.

Last edited by KandyJill; 03-10-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandyJill
Eh, I don't have to pay for it, so why worry. ^^

*Edit* And I loose like a pound a day so if it really works or not is beyond me. I've been on various diet pills since 7th grade. Plus I'm not really taking it for the fat whatever just to help tummy pains from not eating.
Well...you probably heard this before but WHY starve yourself??

(I probably should add that it's impossible to lose a pound of fat a day - if you *are* losing 'a pound a day' rest assured that it's mostly water, lean tissue (which you DON'T want to lose) and a very small amount of fat...but I'm sure if you've spent any length of time here at 3FC you've already read that...)

That's definitely NOT the way to lose weight permanently - and could be the way to a massive eating disorder, if you're not there already.

Seems to me that if you're experiencing 'tummy pains' you need to EAT SOMETHING - if you want fiber then have some veggies or fruit - like a big salad or an apple - not only do you get that healthy fiber but all those great nutrients that you CAN'T get in a pill.

(also...even if you're not paying for it - someone is - and there just might be someone out there who was thinking of spending money on this scam diet pill that will come across this thread and think better of it and save themselves a bunch of money...again, those of you out there IF you want to try a glucomannan supplement instead of giving your money to these bozos, just go to the drugstore and get the cheap stuff!)
Old 03-11-2005, 02:13 AM   #6  

I don't eat a lot for my own reasons. I like to stay within the 500cal mark. And yeah, I do have an ED. I'm fine with it.
But thank you for the advice on the cheaper pills. My mom only ordered 4 bottles and once those are gone I'll buy the NSI Glucomannan ones.

Last edited by KandyJill; 03-11-2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry to butt in here and by the way MrsJim thanks for the wonderful information. Superb research as usual

KandYJill you do realize that you are slowly killing yourself right? Did you know that the reason Terri Schaivo is now in the middle of a media hot bed so to speak is because an eating disorder caused her to have a heart attack which caused extensive brain damage and she is now unable to swallow or communicate? Are you fine with that? Does your mother know that you have an eating disorder?
Believe me I know all about ED I've struggled for years and years with one whether I was overweight or not. I know that having an ED is a fierce mind game and its you against yourself so to speak. It's tough to overcome an ED and in no way am I implying that it is easy. I'm just in awe at the way you stated that you have an ED like it's no big deal. It is a big deal. It's your life and you're basically committing suicide.

I guess I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the fact that you realize you have an ED but that you are fine with it. 3FC is about healthy weightloss and exercise and although I've only been a member for a year I've never come across a member who was okay with the fact that they had an ED, who was okay with the fact that they aren't living healthy. It's destructive enough to be overweight but to add starvation to the equation just think of all the possible health complications piling up on each other.

I'm not saying any of this to be rude or disrespectful, I am saying it out of concern. I hope you get the wake-up call that I did and try to do something to change your lifestyle. I wish you nothing but the best.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #8  

I told all my friends and parents before I got into this so that if I do get in too deep that when I reach my goal that they can make sure I do what my plan is, to get help and get back on WW. (if I can't do it myself)

It was a big sick cycle. When I ate normaly. I would smoke pot, causing me to binge. Causing me to get this horrible feeling and go purge, causing me not to not eat. I guess I did this to myself but it doesn't bother me. I was suicidal back in freshman year. Honestly, either way I have no reason in life. Not like I can do what I want to do because my father won't support me to move to Chicago to attend my college. And all I have to look forward to is the airforce, where I might die anyway. *shrugs*

Last edited by KandyJill; 03-11-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #9  

KandyJill

I'm sorry that you feel you have no purpose in life, and regardless of what your father says you do have the power to get up and move away from it. I can tell from your posts that you aren't happy, how about working on yourself from the inside out. Repair your soul and then work on the weight issues and ED.

Once you have admitted to having an ED you should realize that you have already gone too far. Here is my idea, you should go on WW and get some help, maybe some counseling to help you begin the healing process. I'm not trying to wax intellectual here but I think that you really need some help and perhaps getting away from an environment that sounds less than healthy will help you. Can't you live in a dorm while at school? Do you qualify for financial aid? Having an ED is imposing an early death sentence on yourself. Now if you need someone to talk to or to help you through your struggles we have a wonderful ED forum here that you are welcome to post in or you can PM me. I'm concerned for your health because you ARE starving yourself. Your body can't survive on 500 calories a day especially when you burn about 3000 just living and doing your normal day to day activities. That is why you are losing 1 lb a day, its not the propolene dear. Your body must have gone in to starvation mode and now its having a hard time holding on to the sparse nutrition that you are feeding to it. So you are losing weight by way of water and muscle. When you are in starvation mode you lose your muscle not your fat. Your body still wants to hang on to that fat to use when times get tougher.

If you are an overeater check out this site here http://www.oa.org/index.htm
Here is a link to anorexics anonymous I'm sure you can find some helpful information here as well as a treatment center in your area. http://www.anorexicsanonymous.com/

and one more link you may find helpful http://www.anorexicsandbulimicsanonymousaba.com/

This should bother you and you need help, there are people out there that can and will help you but you have to take the first step. You CAN lead a happy healthy life. Everything you need to make yourself happy is inside of you.

All the best.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #10  

Thank you for your advice, but I've decided to do this my way.

As for the dorms, No. The dorms are $800+ a month with a roomie. And I couldn't live with anyone else. Tried it before and failed.

And the help with money, the school cannot give me any free help since my dad makes too much money. And student loans would only cover school and not living.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #11  

It is my frame of mind that beggers can't be choosers.

I wanted to offer you some healthy alternatives for your weightloss and I was reaching out to help you find some place to help you with your ED. It's clear to me that you don't want help, so answer me this; Why are you at a Healthy Weightloss Forum? In no way does 3FC endorse weight loss through ED's.

Here's another question. If you aren't going to be healthy losing weight because you're starving yourself and once you obtain your goal it will be IMPOSSIBLE for you to maintain your weight why try and lose the weight at all?

I hope you find happiness and contentment somewhere. . .
Old 03-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #12  

Fine, I'll leave. I just came here for some advice on items. And some nice Low Cal food ideas. I thought this was a friendly community.
I, in my heart know this isn't an ed just a extreme diet. I am part of a profession when I need to be skinny to be the best. That's why my goal is for May. Once I reach when i want to be I want to be able to be on WW liek I was back in the day. But obviously times have changed and people are rude and not accepting.

I wish you all the best of luck. Maybe I'll see you girls someday in the afterlife, but then again maybe not.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #13  

Ummmm my intent was not to make you leave, we ARE a friendly community but you basically confess to starving yourself to reach your goal weight which isn't healthy at all! Eating 500 calories a day isn't an extreme diet, it is starvation and it is an ED. Weightloss in general is about lifestyle changes not fad diets. Ask any of the long term maintainers we have here on our boards. I offered you resources on how to help you start your healing process which needs to begin from within not the outside. You need to be okay with you. Then you can concentrate on your weight loss, when you are ready to do it the healthy way. Otherwise you are going to end up dead. I'm sorry you feel that you have to leave but on the other hand maybe it's for the best. We here at 3FC strive to help our members achieve healthy weightloss and make healthy goals for themselves. But we can't help or support those who don't want it. I'm here for you if you need to talk you can feel free to PM me. As I said before if you are interested check out our ED support group.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #14  
One day at a time

Woah! I used to have an ED myself and believe me it was not picnic. Binge and Purge is something mentally you WILL never get over. To this day I want to do it but know deep inside that is not the answer. Yes I am overweight, but I intend on losing it the safe way. These ladies gave you some good advice and I pray you will seek some sort of counseling.

Mrs.Jim thanks for the research on the diet pills. Are they safe? I am thinking of trying them.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkay90
Mrs.Jim thanks for the research on the diet pills. Are they safe? I am thinking of trying them.
Well...as far as safety goes, I think that using glucomannan wouldn't hurt. Apparently, according to Supplementwatch.com at least, there are studies that show lower cholesterol levels and that's a good thing. However I would emphatically NOT purchase what I now think of as the "gas additive diet pill" (every time I think of the name that commercial for "Chevron with Techrolene" or whatever they call their additive comes to mind...like an echo or something). I'd suggest going to your local drugstore or whatever and getting a glucomannan supp there - significantly cheaper and I suspect you are less likely to have some unexpected 'bonus ingredient' that you didn't want (such as lead) if you go with a reputable national brand such as Nature's Way.

Better yet, as I mentioned, try and get your fiber from FOOD. It seems to me that many, many dieters and overweight people are VERY lax when it comes to eating their leafy green veggies and fresh low-sugar fruits - how many people do you know gained weight eating spinach, swiss chard, or zucchini (okay that's not a leafy veggie but hey, it's green!) unless they were accompanied by some high-caloric additional item. You get really GOOD fiber, and all those great phytochemicals and vitamins and minerals.

It seems to me, after doing some browsing on the 'net, that this type of majic diet pill is the 'new sales pitch' - although as I said it's not REALLY new - diet fiber pills have come and gone a bunch of times. Some of the websites I came across actually call it an 'alternative to Weight Loss Surgery' (including one saying "Carnie Was Wrong" - no accounting for taste as far as snakeoil sales are concerned I suppose!). What a laugh - their cockeyed theory (such as it is) is that their supplement will expand in the gut, leaving only a small amount of room for actual food, just like a 'pouch' after gastric bypass surgery. (you have to wonder what 'marketing genius' thought THAT up...of course I'm sure that there are plenty of people buying the product thinking 'they might be right this time...') You know what came to my mind just now - that old Alaska Airlines commercial about airplane food from the early 90's where they spritz a little water on a crouton and it expands to about 1,000 times its size.

Anyway...the ones I found via Google all had glucomannan (usually given some fancy 'exclusive' name or just called konjac, which is the plant's name) as an ingredient, some also had xanthum gum added (basically a starch which is used in gluten-free breads - you can buy it at a health foods store or even at your grocer's) along with the usual jumble of 'natural supplement' stuff that has little or nothing to do with weight loss but sure looks like you're getting a lot in those pills especially at the price some of them are going for.

Hm - upon googling 'konjac' an old news item that I remembered came up...maybe this stuff isn't as innocuous as it seems after all.

Quote:
Consumer Alert: Choking Hazard Posed by Mini-Cup Gel Candies Containing Konjac

New York - January 10, 2002 -- State Agriculture Commissioner Nathan L. Rudgers today issued a consumer alert warning consumers of a choking hazard associated with various brands and flavors of imported mini-cup gel candies that contain the ingredient “Konjac.”

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has asked the Department to assist in the removal of these candies from store shelves. In December, FDA announced the recall of candies with the brand names “NATA” and “Mother’s Pride.” The candies also have names such as “Mini-Cup Jelly Products,” “New Choice Mini Fruity Gels,” “Konjac Coconut Jelly” and other similar names. FDA informed the Department that local authorities in other states have reported several children’s deaths from choking to be associated with this type of gel candy in the United States. These candies contain the ingredient Konjac (also called conjac, konnyaku, yam flour or glucomannan) and are typically packaged in cups as individual, mouth-sized servings, often featuring an embedded piece of preserved fruit. Although the contents look like a typical gelatin product, the small gel candies maintain their product characteristics (i.e. shape, texture, firmness) without melting when placed in the mouth.

The plastic gel cup is approximately the size of a single-service coffee creamer. The individual gel cups are packaged in 300 gram plastic bags or 3.3 pound plastic jars. They may also be offered for sale as individual cups. The gels are sold in various flavors, including mango, lyechee (lychee), taro and assorted fruit. The candy bears warning labels suggesting that it not be eaten by children under age 3 or age 5. These are imported products and many of the bags are printed in both English and Chinese.
Closed Thread