Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 360/seetracker/160

Height: 5'8"

I like the SportPharma Just Whey Chocolate protein powder. It has no carbs or fat.

Does anyone know of any protein powders that do not have a flavor? I like to make smoothies for lunch and dinner sometimes during the hot summer and I like to add protein to it. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:29 AM   #17  

I have a reaction to chromium in these shakes. The one I have found that doesn't have it that doesn't taste too bad is Designer Protein. I have only tried the chocolate one.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #18  
lilsis

Cool fireman's lady

I make my own protein shakes. They are great! There is a new book called "Eating for Life" put out by the same guy,Bill Phillips, that started Body for life. It has several protein shakes/smoothies in it. They are quite good and even my hubby likes them. Wow do they give me extra energy! I don't do breakfast and meal skipping has been my downfall. These help! I kind of use my own mix, so far my fave is one diet big red(now comes with splenda) one scoop designer vanilla whey(HEB or Albertsons) 2 TBL frozen lemonade concentrate,2 c. frozen strawberries, ice cubes. This makes enough for 3 servings.YUMMY!!!!! Even my 15 yr old son likes them and drinks one before gymnastics every morning!In the am, I may even add a container of lowfat light flavored yogurt. Works well with diet orange sunkist , orange yogurt ,whey, froz.OJ,strawberries and ice too! Blend in blender and this is a nice treat for those like me on HRT with hotflashes,lol...God Bless you all!

Last edited by yakky132001; 05-11-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 PM   #19  
WW Moderator

Yakky, are you doing the EFL program?
Old 05-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #20  
lilsis

Wink fireman's lady

Hi Jen, I am trying to,lol. I have more energy and feel better than I have in a long time. I am doing a get healthy challenge in our community and am in a group with my church. We just started the challenge, but I started the EFL about 3 weeks ago. I have not noticed a weight change, but am exercising (walking 2.1 miles with hills 3days/week, and using a total gym 2 days)and gaining muscle so I may not for a bit. However, like I said, I do feel a big difference in energy and well being. Have you any info on this? I bought the book, and it seems to be just a good sound eating for life plan. I have tried so many different diets, supplements, etc that I was at my witt's end! I am 4'11 and weigh 150. Not good! I had a hysterectomy in 98 with disasterous results. Many surgeries later, I am finally feeling like me again, but hormones, steroids and inactivity have taken their toll on my body and self esteem. I am a former anorexic and this has really been difficult. I firmly believe that the only good weight loss program comes from good sound nutrition,daily exercise and a strong mental drive to succeed. I just found this site and am thrilled to see so much info and support! Anything you might suggest would be much appreciated! Have a great and blessed day! Yak
Old 05-12-2004, 10:19 PM   #21  
WW Moderator

Yakky, you should also read the BFL book if you want more info on the exercises. I would go for used or the library, because it might not be what you need if you are using your Total Gym. The BFL book covers a lot of the same eating patterns discussed in the EFL book, but it has some more motivational info in it and also covers the whole work out plan. It has pictures of exercises which also have very good descriptions, anda workout schedule. However, you are probably getting similar results with your Total Gym. You can't really follow his schedule with the TG - unless you can adjust the weight on the TG.

On BFL, you take a light weight - say 5 pounds, and you do 12 reps. Then you wait one minute and do 10 reps with a slightly higher weight, then wait a minute and do 8 reps going higher, then wait a minute and then 6 reps going a higher weight. You are increasing the weight each time 'if you can'. You are trying to do your best here - then you do 12 reps again with same or better weight, and then 12 reps of another exercise that focuses on the same muscle. Then you do another body part. You alternate upper and lower body on weight day, and on the alternating 3 days you do cardio. So 3 days a week cardio, 3 days a week weights, switching off upper and lower each time.

I hope that didn't totally confuse you! Oh, you can see the videos of the exercises and you can download the same exercise guideline sheets from the Body For Life site at www.bodyforlife.com . It sounds like you are covering the same general idea in your own way.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #22  
lilsis

Cool fireman's lady

Thanks so much!!! I have that book as well, my hubby did the challenge a few years ago bought the book and then they shipped one with an order we placed so we gave that one to our son. It is a very good book as well! Thanks for the info, I will check out the video too! I have never been much at working out so this is a challenge for me. I am also having trouble with a very dry mouth. I am not sure why, or if maybe there is something I am eating causing it but I am always thirsty. Maybe the Whey?? Thanks again!!!!!! Yak
Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #23  
WW Moderator

Hmm, I don't know about the dry mouth being related to the shakes. Are you suddenly exercising more than you used to? You might have dehydrated a bit if you aren't getting sufficient water in relation to your exercise.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #24  
lilsis

Cool fireman's lady

Jen, HIYA!!!!
Yes, I am exercising more, but drink at least a minimum of a gallon of water daily. I am however, sensitive to citric acid,ie...tomatoes,oranges,pineapples,
they cause blisters in my mouth so maybe it is the fruit or fruit concentrate in the smoothies??? Anyway, thanks for all you help! I have been so much more motivated since finding this site. Even driven to exercise more!!! I walked 3 miles this morning it was already 85* by mid morning. Again, for all your help!!!
Have a great and blessed day,
Yak
Closed Thread