Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 07:20 PM   #1  

Default Pants For A Large Behind

Hello. My girlfriend is constantly battling with clothing. She is About 5'5", 165 lbs and well proportioned. The only problem she's having is that she has a butt like Jennifer Lopez, and she has to buy pants that are sized much larger just to get them on. The effect is that the waist is much too large once the pants are on, and the crotch hangs much too low. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any place online where they sell pants that are more geared toward women with larger behinds as opposed to those with larger frames in general. This problem has really gotten to be ridiculous and she was almost in tears today because we both had our first day working in the nursing home (we are both in a RN program) and her pants fit her so poorly she could hardly stand it. I just wanted to see if there was any recourse available. Thank you very much!

Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 01:03 AM   #2  
it's always something

Hi Mike I hope someone will have a better answer, because I'm sure a lot of women experience this problem. However, she may have to resort to having her pants altered to fit. I don't think it costs much to have pants altered, and many dry-cleaners offer altering services.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #3  
*~forbidden snowflake~*

I have this problem,too. I am pear shaped and only 5 foot 2 so I end up with miles of leg and a crotch down to my freakin KNEES! Heylp!

While there are 4zillion dry cleaners around here, the only alterations they seem to do are "simple stuff like hems". I'll have to make my own clothing pretty soon. Why are sizes and shapes so stringent, anyway? You'd think the manufacturers would wake up already.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Ya know, I'm not Mrs. Fashionista, but I do know that the 'butt implant' is one of the newest, most oft-requested surgeries. So ya think there'd be pants to fit, right?

I just did a quick search and Lands' End does offer 'customized' jeans and chinos. I believe Levi's does as well. Of course they cost a bit more but a good fit is worth it, right?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:25 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Invest in some low-rise jeans! Because they're meant to go more around your hips as opposed to your waist, they give some extra "fill-out" room. As an added bonus, it eliminates the low crotch syndrome and they're much more comfortable than the jeans that cut your stomach in half.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:10 AM   #6  

I've got a great big chunky butt, and it's always been a problem, no matter what my weight is. It was mondo at 118 pounds, it's more mondo now. Short of liposuction, you either get jeans tailored, or you go for the stretch jean. Spandex is your friend.

I've tried them all, and Gap is my current favorite in terms of fit vs. price. Gap is cut such that they don't give you instant wedgie. A slightly lower rise can be good, but ultra low rise can cause plumber's butt, where the crack shows and flesh oozes out over the waistband in the back. Nasty.

Dark wash and black jeans really slim you down. Always check the rear view with a hand mirror, this is crucial. Pockets should not be too big or too small. High heels, I'm talking at least 2", perk things up and make you look more curvy. A good bra helps, too. I think if you've got curves, you need to let your audience think you're proud of them, not like you wish you were Twiggy. Look at Beyonce: she's got a butt, hips, and thighs, and she likes it and shows it off. Check her out in Vogue-- it's inspiring.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:29 PM   #7  
THIS DAY IS MINE!

S/C/G: 254/213/160

Height: 5'8

Let me second the low-rise and spandex recommendations. I too have an epic butt that is about 2-3 sizes bigger than my waist. I'm all about the low rise jeans because the cling to my curves but don't gap at the waist. As for the spandex, a lot of jeans are stretchy now because they are 5% or so made from lycra. It really helps get a good fit all over
Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Nelly (the rapper) has a line of jeans called "Apple-Bottoms" designed for those with a smaller waist and lot of "junk in the trunk". Try doing a search for Apple-Bottom jeans to see if their styling fits your personality.

Tiki
Old 03-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I have similar problems, I buy the MEN"S loose fit jeans from the gap, great fit, you can get lengths...You have to try on a few different sizes to get what fits you best but I love them! Each cut fits differently and I wear different sizes in different cuts.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #10  
resident lactivist

Low-rise jeans are great, but if that's not appropriate for work (and I doubt jeans are!), your best bet is probably as Suzanne said: buy pants that fit, & get them altered. It won't cost much. My husband is in the Navy & has had uniform pants altered & also patches sewn on for about $6. Do not go to a dry cleaner for your alterations. Look in the phone book and find an actual tailor or seamstress. (You may have to look under alterations, but make sure you find someone who specializes in altering clothes, not who does it as a sideline to another business.)
Old 03-12-2004, 12:57 AM   #11  
Coop class of '82

I just had to add my 2 cents about the opposite problem. I have a small butt (relatively speaking) and a huge 43 inch waist. So, I have plenty of bag in the butt of my pants. If it's not one thing it's another huh?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey you guys - y'all might be interested in this site:

http://www.fitme.com/cgi-bin/live/Fi...n/frameSet.jsp

It's called the "Fit Me" site. You can register for free, plug in your measurements and find your size for different retailers. Pretty cool IMO I love shopping online but I hate returning stuff...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am a professional seamstress and costume designer by trade....did you all know that women's pants are made by a specific formula...based on an average ratio that the average woman's waist is 10 inches smaller than her hips? For the average figure-the hourglass shape-this is about true...but for the pears and apple shapes....this can suck.
I am hourlgass shaped...large breasted, thinner waistline...and full hips and thighs...but I am a little "off" that ratio with a more narrow waist...with usually 11-12" inches difference there rather than 10...
For the smaller waist/bigger butt...here have been great finds for me:

**jeans with lycra in them...these come in regulr cut, as well as the more fashionable boot cut/flare leg styles

**stretch lycra BOOT CUT leggings for exercise wear-basically like regular lycra pants you would wear for exercise...except in the boot cut or "jazz pant" or "yoga pant" style...where the leg flares out a bit at the bottom rather than hugging the calf. The lycra and elastic waist give a perfect fit when you are working out-but what I have found for the "bigger bunned" women...is that the fullness at the calf/ankle makes you look more proportioned...and not like your behind is a mile wide then going down to the tiny ankles. Not flattering.

**jeans and capri pants with a drawstring waist-I have found these at Wal-Mart, Old Navy...etc. and I love them. I can get them in twill like khakis...or denim and the drawstring really helps with the gapping waist.

**Use a seamstress!!! I make a lot of my own clothes and costumes...but even if you don't you will find that spending a few bucks to have a pair of jeans taken in...or hemmed up...is totally worth it if they actually FIT when it is all over with. Better to spend $10-$20 on getting a pair of pants altered to fit...then spending $30-$40 on yet ANOTHER pair that won't.

Aphil
Old 03-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #14  
Legend in my own mind

Mens levis 501's are the best.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #15  
Back fat Be Gone!

Thumbs up

I love to keep in style with the stretch jeans, and I do have junk in my trunk, however as appealing as the low rise are, if you have a gut or love handles the low rise make the gut and love handles look twice as big so I found the best jeans ever! Either Gloria Vanderbelt, Gisselle style, they are flare bottom stretch jeans which squeezes everything in and the flare bottom makes your thighs look WAY smaller then straight leg jeans. Plus the waist is just a little higher to go over the love handles, but not to cut the stomach in half and give the pooch look. They are about $30 and come in petite (yeah) and regular and long. JC Penny's carries them in sizes up to 20, but you'll only find the petite ones in the petite section of the store. Kohl's also carries them. If your looking for something a little cheaper, WalMart just started carrying a brand of LeviStrauss in JR and Misses, if you get the misses they are still the lower waist, but again cover the love handles, have just enough flare at the bottom to slim the thighs and also come in petite, long, and reg for only $22.00.
Closed Thread