3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Berry Trim Ad (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/3670-berry-trim-ad.html)

midgie 03-29-2001 07:22 AM

I found this information on an eating disorder website and copied the information below to share with all of you. This comes from the "somethingfishy.org" website which has tons of information from aneroxia to binge eating. I personally received one of these letters in the mail sometime ago and so glad I trashed it!!

WARNING - AD CAMPAIGN (new updated information)
Berry Trim Diet Scam

Please be aware of the an unbelievably irresponsible direct mail campaign by Health Laboratories of North America. They manufacture a "miracle" diet product called Berry Trim Plus. The company is sending a full page ad on a product for weight loss. It is a newspaper ad and at the top, they are handwriting your name with a message that says,

[Name], Try it. It Works!
The envelope is typed and there is no return address. It is sent to you as anonymous mail with a personal note. Clearly the intention is to have you believe that someone you know is sending it to you.
This is now being sent out through e-mail, as SPAM or unsolicited mail. It comes as a message that states

What do you think of my new scanner?
It is typed and signed, and stated in such a way that the intention is for you to believe it comes from someone you know. The e-mail contains a scan, either directly in the e-mail message or as an attachment, that is a newspaper ad/article about the Berry Trim diet product.

To the normal public, this letter might be brushed off. To anyone who struggles with an eating disorder, this can be an absolutely devastating "personal" message to receive by mail or e-mail.

At the advice of e-mail we've received from numerous people, we want to make as many people know about this as we can so that they do not take the personal message to heart. We also encourage you to report the company to the Better Business Bureau in Carson, Nevada, where their headquarters are located.

If you receive a copy of this "ad" in the mail or e-mail, please send it to the Better Business Bureau, along with a complaint, or contact them by telephone. You can also go to their website to file a complaint...
The Better Business Bureau - www.bbb.org

Several people have requested the company's direct address and there's even been mention of filing a class action mail fraud lawsuit. Here is the most current information we have:

Health Laboratories of North America, Inc.
1-800-755-0848
Dept. 1293, 194 Katonah Ave., Katonah, NY 10536

duchessnicole 03-29-2001 10:42 AM

Wow. Thanks for that important info! If I should get any of thsoe fraudalent emails or snail mails I will be sure to call or write that company. :)

MrsJim 03-29-2001 11:59 AM

Fraudulent ads

I seem to be seeing a lot of them lately- mostly in the newspapers - and in the American Airlines flight magazine there was a 2-page ad...even though they are from different companies the ads are very similar in their outlandish and incredible claims!

I've also seen eBay listings selling the same stuff, with other outlandish claims as:

"LOSE 10 LBS/WEEK -GUARANTEE!!"

"LOSE 88 LBS BY SUMMER GUARANTEED"

"LOSE 100 LBS WITH NEW DIET PILL"

All of these pills use the same ingredients - even though they all claim to be unique...Ma Huang/Ephedrine (which as most of us know can be very dangerous to use!); Chromium Picolinate (which, despite claims by the patent holders to the contrary, does NOT assist in weight loss and can even cause cancer and anemia in large doses); Bee Pollen, citrus, aloe vera, etc. NONE of these ingredients is proven to have any effect on weight loss.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...uppsherbs.html

For more information on the 1994 Dietary Supplement Act (which has basically tied the hands of the FDA from doing anything about this rampant fraud) click on the above link at quackwatch.com.

Take care!