Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 12:18 AM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default The truth about carbs.

What I have learned is carbs are digested and your body processes them much quicker than protein, fats, ect. After you've eaten these foods, your pancreas detects a rapid rise in blood sugar and pumps out a correspondingly high level of insulin. That results in a rapid plunge in the blood sugar level. The insulin ends up doing its job a little too well- the blood sugar level drops so low that NEW CRAVINGS are created requiring MORE quick carbohydrate fixes. In order to satisfy so many cravings, of course, we take in WELL BEYOND the nutrition we require. We OVEREAT, (usually more of those carbs that gave us the cravings in the first place!) and this leads to more fat, more insulin resistance, more hunger, and more weight gain- a vicious cycle.
Carbs do NOT make us fat. Overeating due to cravings brought on by eating carbs makes us FATTER. They say don't eat carbs, relieve yourself of the cravings, and you will eventually eat less. (take in less calories)

3,500 calories equal 1 pound. Take in or burn 3,500 calories and you lose a pound. Eat 3,500 more calories than you burn, you gain a pound. Calories in vs. calories out....that's what it's all about! (of course, in the most healthy, balanced way!)

I am a huge carb addict. I don't think I can ever get over my problem with cravings and overeating until I conquer my addiction. My problem is, I can't stick to the low carb/no carb way long enough (I am an addict, after all!). So just eating low carb foods for me is a waste of money. It's like giving an alcoholic just a little beer a day. My cravings will just not go away this way.

I wish there was something I can do, but just trying to eat less calories makes me crave them even more. I can't seem to shake this addiction. I try exercising, doing mind tricks, drinking more water, everything under the sun, but all I can possibly manage to do is maintain. But this just isn't good enough for me. I so badly want to conquer this and live a normal life of eating.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:54 AM   #2  
it's always something

There have been several studies in the news lately which have shown that all of the popular diets work equally, whether it's low carb, low fat, or other. The thing they all have in common is that they reduce the amount of calories you consume. Eat less, lose weight. They don't tell you that, because they sell more books if they focus on one aspect that makes their plan different from the others. What does distinguish each diet from the other, however, is how that diet fits into your lifestyle. If you can stick to it, then it works. If you can't stick to it, then it won't work.

If you are unable to stick to a low carb diet, then why not find another diet to follow? You already realize that it's the calories in the end that does it. Are you sure that eating carbs is causing you to overeat? Weight Watchers and other popular diets contain a lot of carbs, but their followers still stick to them and reach their goals. Maybe it isn't the carbs, but it's something else that causes you to overeat. Have you read Dr. Phil's book on weight loss? It deals with the emotional aspects of dieting, and is quite an eye-opener. We've received quite a few email from people that have said they thought they were carb addicts, but then realized they were just emotional eaters, etc. Putting a stop to overeating had less to do with the foods they ate, than the other aspects of their lives.

Many high carb foods are also comfort foods. Pizza, breads, sweets, etc. Many people may reach for them not because they are carb addicts, but because they are seeking comfort, or pleasure.

You might consider having your physician test you to find out if you are insulin resistant. If so, then you probably should focus on a low carb diet. If you are not, and the majority of people aren't, then your choice in diets should be based on your lifestyle. Find a plan that includes more foods that you enjoy and that you will feel satisfied with, so you don't end up feeling deprived and fighting the urge to go off plan.

Do see your doctor, though. You may have specific needs that require a special diet plan
Old 01-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #3  

Suzanne ... could you please clarify what you mean when you say "Dr. Phil's Book". Do you have the complete title? Is itthe one I'm seeing advertised on this site? I know who Dr. Phil is, and a bit about his philosphy, but I find several books by him. The last time I looked a Barnes and Noble I found a companion book that listed lots foods and nutritional values, and another book by him, but I didn't find anything that looked like something that talked about diet AND emotions.

I know I'm an emotional eater but I also know that I can stop after one small candy bar, or one scoop of ice cream, but I DON'T stop after a cup of pasta or 1/2 cup of rice. (eeek!!) And to be honest, I don't think it has to do a lot to do with blood sugar levels, because if the starchy foods are readily available, I don't stop long enough to notice changes in blood sugar (I can go through a whole batch of popcorn, 2 large servings of pasta, etc.)
Thanks,
Steph
Old 01-26-2004, 03:52 AM   #4  
it's always something

The book is called THE ULTIMATE WEIGHT SOLUTION: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom. There has been quite a bit of discussion on it in our book forum if you want to browse the threads and see if it appeals to you He deals with the emotional aspects of dieting, and everyone seems to love the book.

Overeating may be more than emotions or carb addictions. It can also be due to plain old bad habits. You make a good point about a cup of pasta or a half cup of rice. Many people blame pasta and rice and consider them to be bad foods. However, these foods are eaten regularly in other nations where their population is more fit than ours. The problem here is that we don't know when to stop, but they do. Go to any restaurant and they don't serve you one cup of pasta, they serve a whole platter. We become conditioned into expecting a larger serving size. Our stomachs become stretched out and it takes more to fill us up. We just eat too much. Serving sizes have increased over the last few decades, and our obesity rates have increased right along with it. What was considered an adult size meal at McDonalds in the 60s is now called a Happy Meal. At the same time, we've become used to modern conveniences and are getting less exercise or activity. It all adds up.

Cutting back on portions takes an effort, and it takes time to get used to. But once you reach that point, then your eating habits change and you no longer need or crave the plate full of pasta.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:25 PM   #5  

Thanks for the info Suzanne. I will check out the book forum. I have found SO much useful information on this site, but I haven't had time to explore all the forums.

You are SO right about portion sizes. I had this dicussion with somebody recently. The happy meal comparison came up then. I worked in a coffee shop during college (I graduated in '81.) We had two sizes of coffee small (8oz) and large (12oz). Our "small" was considered "big" because at the time, Dunkin' Donuts was still serving a SIX ounce small. NOW ... anything less than 12oz is considered 'stingy' !!! YIKES!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #6  

Default portion sizes

..you are so right about portion sizes and how they have changed. I was recently in the market for new dishes and was flabbergasted at the HUGE size of all the bowls and cups in the sets. They were like serving bowls! I couldn't find anything that wasn't sized for Jethro (from the Beverly Hillbillies). One cup of cereal would look lost in most bowls these days and even the plates are all at least 11" across whereas my old ones are 10". No wonder people have such a hard time visualizing what a "normal" size serving of something is.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:10 AM   #7  

So true!!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #8  

Default Portion Sizes

Hi everyone,

I read all the posts with great interest. I agree 100%...we all eat entirely too much food. Everything is "supersized" these days. It makes me very angry that restaurants consistantly serve these huge portions that no human should consume. I think we need to put more pressure on restaurants to serve either 1/2 portions (and not charge us for the service) or to actually cut down on the sizes of the portions. Don't they get the hint when customers want to share a dinner. Restaurants seems to feel that people do not mind taking home a "doggy bag" when in actuality many people do not like leftovers or forget it in the fridge. I would eat out more often if the restaurants served smaller portions and charged less. To make matters worse...pasta is very cheap so they pile it on to justify the price. Anyone have any ideas how we can get the restaurants to get with the program

Rose
Old 01-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealtorRose
Restaurants seems to feel that people do not mind taking home a "doggy bag" when in actuality many people do not like leftovers or forget it in the fridge. I would eat out more often if the restaurants served smaller portions and charged less. To make matters worse...pasta is very cheap so they pile it on to justify the price. Anyone have any ideas how we can get the restaurants to get with the program
Well...actually my husband enjoys leftovers...

The issue is - restaurants are basically responding to public demand for large sized/supersized portions. (there are even restaurant chains - like the Cheesecake Factory - that are FAMOUS for their humongus portion sizes.) And the rise of the all-you-can eat buffet during the 1990's is part and parcel of this problem. Restaurants that don't have all-you-can-eat buffets (BTW I haven't been to one, except when on vacation in Yosemite or Las Vegas, in YEARS) still offer AYCE 'specials' - The Olive Garden and their "never ending pasta bowl"; Red Lobster and their "all you can eat shrimp" or the latest one I've seen - IHOP's "never ending pancakes".

BTW one of the reasons I DON'T go to AYCE buffets is the health/sanitary aspects - not only the mindset of "I paid $XX for this and damn it, I'm going to get my money's worth!".

You *can* send letters to the restaurants in question, but since there is such a high demand for large portions, I doubt if they'll respond (other than directing you to the "a la carte" portion of the menu). I suppose the best solution is to NOT eat at those restaurants. As you can see by the low-fat (1990's) and low-carb (2003/2004) marketing craze, the food industry is very responsive to percieved public demand. Perhaps if enough folks stop supersizing their orders, or asking for half portions, the restaurants will 'get the message' and go for quality over quantity...maybe...
Old 01-28-2004, 09:42 PM   #10  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

OH, YES!

My mom and I had this very discussion the other day. She wants to open a restaurant that caters to the older crowd, only serving half orders, and charging much less.

I think having half order options would be a great way to combat obesity, but only if the costumers have the will power to order them. I usually "think" I want a whole plate full of yummy food, but feel miserable and stuffed afterwards. I tell myself before I go out I should order from the a la cart section, but always end up getting the full meal. I would order the full meal and be satisfied IF THERE WAS AN OPTION TO GET ONLY HALF OF IT! If it's on my plate, I eat it. I can still hear my parents telling my how many children are dying of hunger, and I better clean that plate!

Heidi
Old 01-29-2004, 11:21 AM   #11  

Hedi, did you think of asking the waitress to bring a "to go box" with the main course, and box half of it and set it aside? Little tricks that we play on ourselves soon become good and healthy habits. Just a thought!

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic, a great one BTW.

dip
Old 01-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #12  

Default RE: doIlookfat

Hi. I just wanted to suggest a book that I saw on Amazon recently. It's called The Perfect Fit Diet. My sister bought it, but I haven't read it. Apparently, the author did extensive research on dieting and dieters and came to the conclusion that one plan does not fit all. Thus, if you're the type that doesn't like to eat a lot of meat, it would be near impossible for you to maintain weightloss on the Atkins plan. This sounds like common sense, but apparently it's not since many people seem to go on plans that they could never succeed on long term. In the book, the author provides a quiz and other info to help you discover what type of diet is the best for you.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM   #13  

I think the only way we can combat obesity is by taking charge of our own lives. Moderation and portion control are key-I'm one that hates "fad" diets-I'm much more of a "make smarter choices" person-and that way I can still enjoy treats now and then just in moderation not excess. Regardless, being aware of your body and being receptive to it is so crucial.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #14  
it's always something

I agree, totally. Look around and you'll see a lot of people struggling to follow popular diets because the media convinces them that it's the only way to go. In reality, we are all very unique individuals and our needs are always going to be different. You have to find what works for you.

We have received countless thousands of email over the years. Many people share what works for them, and it's very rare that someone attributes their success to one diet plan. In most cases, they tell us that they combined the best points from a variety of plans, and experimented until they found something they could live with that helped them lose the weight. These are the people that not only lose the weight, but also keep it off.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #15  
thinly,... disguised

Kind of off topic, but a friend of mine who was very heavy ( I can say that because I am, lol),.....started eating off of a Salad size Plate,...she could have any meal (not dessert) she wanted but only the amount that would fit on her smaller sized plate......she did have as much salad with the meal and drank NOTHING but water, and dropped the desserts, but ate pasta , mashed potatoes, bread, you name it BUT the portion size was enough for her to drop 100 pds in 14 months, with out her feeling deprived of her Favorite things ....................didn't work for me because I didn't have the control NOT to refill the plate..lol
Closed Thread