Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 10:21 AM   #1  
Opening a whole new world

Cool Curves

I joined curves, between June and July last year. I didn't not renew my membership. I had the automatic check withdraw to save myself $10.00 a month. I hadn't read my membership agreement in a year. It was only by a girl i work with that said that they are still taking my money out. didn't see it on the statement, Called the bank, they coudn't even see it on their records. However called curves, and they were still withdrawing from my checking account even though my membership was up 2-3 month ago. On their agreement, curves just assumes that when a year is up and you don't call them to cancel the membership, that you still want to be a member. All memberships prior to this that i have ever had you had to resign for another year. Good going curves, way to get extra money from people. Sorry i don't remember what I read a year ago. So just wanting to give you all a heads up if you don't have time for curves, at the end of your membership year, you are still a member. You need to call and cancel this.

You know what my mom always said about the word assumes.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:09 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

This is actually the way the 24 Hour Fitness *I* belong to set up my membership - EFT withdrawal - except it was a 6 month contract, after which it became month-to-month.

I haven't actually seen the Curves contract, but I would guess that it specifies that after your year is up, the membership reverts to a month-by-month until you cancel in writing. They are under no obligation to inform you when your year is up since (presumably) you read this in the contract prior to signing it.

From my experience, this is pretty much standard practice...
Old 10-06-2003, 03:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/229/150

Height: 5'7"

I was told by my curves that at the end of the year that my membership would continue automatically unless I cancelled. Sorry to hear that your curves didnt inform you.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:47 PM   #4  

i wouldn't call it ethical, yet it's legal and they do it.
in regards to your bank not having a record of 3 monthly withdrawals, i would definitely question the practices of the bank though~
Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 AM   #5  

shortstack-

I have a few questions about Curves for you, since you were a member for a year.

I know they measure success by weight and inches, but do they measure your body fat and lean body mass/weight?

How often did you do the 'routine' each week? Did you go every week? How much weight/inches did you lose while doing Curves?
What kind of eating change ( I detest the word 'diet") did you make during that year? Did you plateau - if so, at which point(s) in your activity at Curves?

I'm thinking about adding a "Hopscotch" routine to what I already do, and am curious about Curves, but don't know of anyone who has been a member for a year. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #6  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Curves...

I am in the middle of my second year with Curves and I really like it. I can't have a lot of impact on my joints so this has been perfect for me!

I try to go three times per week (M, W, F) although sometimes I don't make it because life gets in the way.

They do weigh, measure and calculate body fat monthly if you want them to do so. This is a hit or miss thing with me as I usually don't remember to do it at the end of each month. They keep a file folder for each member so you can look back to see how far you've come.

There are several of us who are "old timers" at my Curves which is nice - good to see familiar faces!
Old 10-09-2003, 08:51 PM   #7  

If you join Curves and opt for the check draft to save $10.00 a month, you have to sign a contract for one year. The center will continue withdrawing the money until they have a letter from you stating that you no longer want to participate in the check draft. You also have to sign a form that you no longer wish to take part in the check draft. Company policy.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:02 AM   #8  
Work in Progress

Each curves is indepednely owne and operated. Don't let anyone that works there tell you differently. One of my clients just opened up a Curves here and everything is managed on site by the individual owners.

Curves does have a number of rules an regulations as part of their franchise agreement however. But don't let them offload responsiblity too much to the corporate office, they can do whatever they want to do, they own their own franchises.

rb
Old 11-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #9  

This was a good thread to read as I am debating on whether or not to continue after my year. I think I may want to have a place that offers more variety. My friends get a month to month after their year and you have to give 30 days notice before they stop taking the money out.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:57 PM   #10  

Default Curves vs. Gym

I just completed a year with Curves and have submitted my letter to discontinue the membership. I am 56 and have lost 50 lbs. since May by following the Weight Watcher plan, walking 3 miles most days, and going to Curves a couple of times a week. I never really felt challenged by the exercise machines at Curves and found it interesting that one of the instructors is just as heavy now as she was a year ago. I have frequently observed clients performing the exercises incorrectly without an instructor helping them because they were too busy visiting with other clients (obviously friends). I was weighed and measured the first time I went and never was again. They expect you to let them know when you should be weighed and measured. I was also told to remove my card from the book on my last visit so they will know I won't be back. I would think the least they could do is computerize the operation in this day and age for the money the business generates.

Because I lost 50 lbs., they wanted before and after pictures which I will not provide because I know it took a lot more to lose the weight than going to Curves. I'm sure this is not the case with all Curves. There are many happy Curves' clients. I would just be sure to talk to a current member or two before joining.

I am now enjoying a free 2-week membership at a gym and already feel much more challenged. The hours are much more appropriate for my schedule and I can go 7 days a week. There are classes, personal trainers (separte charge), and many different machines. It is only going to cost a couple of dollars more than what I paid for Curves. IMHO that's a lot more for your money.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #11  

Sandy, let me ask you a question about your Curves experience, or anyone else who would like to jump in and reply.

Did you find Curves as a vehicle to introduce you to the habit of working out? Prior to Curves, did you have any other "gym-type" experience? Would you have rather been trained by a size 4 or someone who is going through the same experience as you, and could empathize, encourage and support?

Prior to the website crash earlier this week, there were more posts about Curves. Each are individually owned franchises, so each has it's own way of operation within certain guidelines. I am all for whatever it takes to get people moving.

dip
Old 01-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #12  

Hi, I have been a member of cures for almost 4 months now. I was a start a new exercise routine and give it up before the week is over type. I joined curves and absolutely love it. I lost 11 1/2 inches my first month. I was convinced then that exercise is the key for me. I had been doing the south beach diet and had lost some weight but the real results came when I started curves. I do enjoy the group of everyday people that I work out with. There are people that are a lot heavier than me and some that are a lot thinner than me. It is a real comfortable atmosphere where we can talk , share weight lost strategies and stories. I am hooked!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #13  

Dip, I have always walked for exercise and joined Curves as a quick way to tone up. My main complaint is the hours of operation. It just doesn't work with my schedule. As far a being trained by a size 4, I'm not. There are many others in the gym the same size as I am and I don't feel uncomfortable at all. I agree with you ~ whatever it takes. Curves is just not my bag.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:25 AM   #14  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy I feel so badly for you & your experience with Curves...

Hello SHORTSTACK,

I don't think that you may have had a very good experience with your 'Curves' because they are owned by individuals and the company cannot always control what they choose to do with their business.

The Curves I belong to 'did' inform me that I could have a refund when I was out with an injured ankle for a month and as long as you state to her why you want to quit (breaking the contract) it can be done. But you must communicate to the owner what is going on with you. In fact, someone was just sharing at Curves this morning that her friend got her to go there and she loves it, but her friend (who asked her to come) stated that she couldn't fit Curves into her lifestyle and she went to the owner and worked things out & she was given all her money back... it really sounds as if there was a lack of communication somewhere at your place.

I wish you "Luck" in settling things. I enjoy CURVES very much and what it has done for me and know so many who have benefited also.

God Bless,
SunnyD
Closed Thread