Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 01:12 PM   #1  

Question Toning Beds

Has anyone tried any gyms that use the toning beds? You know- where you lay on these machines and they stretch and contort you around. Do they work? I know just letting a machine move you around won't be enough, but I wondered if it would be a good supplement to my walking. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #2  
it's always something

The FTC has filed complaints against toning table companies in the past, for making false claims regarding weightloss or fitness.

Doing a search on the net, the only comments I could find came from the toning bed companies, as part of sales pitches.

I think that they may be useful for treating certain conditions such as cerebral palsy or possibly arthritis, as a form of physical therapy. Other than that, I'm not sure you would get your moneys worth from them.

Some articles
http://www.ncahf.org/articles/o-r/passive.html
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/predawn/F93/fleetwood4.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/predawn/F93/slender-y8.htm
Old 11-10-2003, 06:50 PM   #3  

I've been to the local place with these beds (partly, I was sucking up trying to get a job) they are really good for stretching you out and working out the kinks, but I never noticed any difference. The walking machine is pretty fun however, I can do it for an hour (but god my legs hurt afterwards)

The key is isotonic (maybe isometric, its been a while since anatomy) excerise. The about tighting your muslces and keeping them tighened.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:43 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #5  
199/131/115

The only ones I'm familiar with were
the ones utilized by the Gloria Marshall
salons 25+ years ago.

That was pretty much their entire shtick.
Working out in street clothes, never
breaking a sweat and that they
worked.

Strangely enough for a lot of women
they did. A diet plan geared towards
how one normally ate was tailored
to the client as well.

The fact they were almost next door
to the French restaurant that made the
best onion soup and quiche I had ever
partaken of was just a nice bonus. *g*

Skew
Old 11-11-2003, 02:47 PM   #6  

I actually worked in a salon a few years ago..where we had nine differenct toning tables...And basicly...IN MY OPINION...as far as making you lose a lot of weight...NO..But they are excellent for older people and for people who are just starting out exercising...because they do increase flexibility. And they do help with blood circulation...which over a long period of time will help with fat loss. I always noticed that if I did the complete series on exercises for the correct amount of time on each table..I had to go to the rest room several times due to the increased circulation..I believe?...So if a person is alreadly in good physical shape ..already using a exercise plan...I would say ship the toning tables...BUT if you are very out of shape..need to start slow...30 days on the tables will make a difference.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:51 PM   #7  

Thanks for all the info. I think that I may try 12 sessions. If it doesn't seem to help, I won't renew. It's just $24 here. I am out of shape and from what some of you said, it may help my flexibility.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:36 PM   #8  
199/131/115

Kewl! They sound like a perfect start
up plan to me!

Let us know how you enjoyed them.
If that's the correct word to use for
any kind of exercise.. *g*

Skew
Closed Thread