Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #1  
banned

Default One-A-Day

Hey I am a member of Weight Watchers and I got the new In The Groove magazine and in it was a cupon for One-A-Day Weight Smart. I was wondering what it does and is it worth going out to buy?
Old 01-06-2003, 10:13 PM   #2  
it's always something

It's sold at Drugstore.com and this is their description:

One-A-Day
Weight Smart Dietary Supplement, Tablets

With EGCG

Complete Multivitamin Plus More** to:

Enhance Your Metabolism with EGCG (Green Tea Extract)*.
Convert Food to Fuel with Extra** Chromium and Key B Vitamins*.
Complete Multivitamin specially designed to help you while you're controlling your weight.

100% of key daily essential vitamins and minerals.
EGCG, a natural green tea extract, to enhance your metabolism.*
Extra** levels of Chromium and important B Vitamins to help convert food to fuel.*
Vitamins C, E, B6 and B12 to help support a healthy heart.*
Helps to keep your metabolism going strong.

Starting in your 30s, your body's metabolism can slow down and you can gain weight. To help maintain healthy metabolism levels, you need to give your body key nutrients. That's why One-A-Day has created WeightSmart, a unique new complete multivitamin with EGCG (a natural extract of green tea) to enhance your metabolism.*

Used as part of a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and exercise, One-A-Day WeightSmart is a safe way to supplement the effort you are making to better control your weight.

Key Ingredients while Controlling Your Weight*

Promotes Metabolism - EGCG (Green Tea Extract), Chromium, Niacin, Thiamin.
Immune Health - Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc, Iron.
Cell Protection - Selenium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E.
Converts Food to Fuel - Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6.
Healthy Heart - Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E.
Feel Your Best!

Made in the U.S.A.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
**Compared to Centrum®

============================
The majority of the vitamins and minerals listed are good for you. However, their claims regarding boosting metabolism may not be quite right. For example, Chromium has been proven NOT to affect weight loss at all.

Chromium is believed to be an essential trace mineral. One form, chromium picolinate, has been sold as a weight loss aid for many years. It is claimed to boost athletic performance, build muscle, and promote weight loss. The Federal Trade Commission have determined these claims to be deceptive.

While chromium may have health benefits, extensive clinical trials have shown that chromium does not have an effect on weight loss. Chromium can cause side effects in many people, including everything from stomach discomfort to genetic mutations in DNA. Chromium may also interfere with other supplements or medications.

I've heard that Green Tea Extract also does not work. I'm on my way out the door right now, so I can't look into it at the moment, but will do as soon as possible.

I'm surprised One a Day has come out with this product. However, most manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon and promoting products that don't work. There are billions of dollars at stake here.

A good multivitamin can't hurt, and could help your overall health. But I would personally avoid any products that contain controversial or unproven supplements.

If you follow the WW plan and exercise, you are going to lose the weight anyway, and in a healthier way.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2003, 02:51 AM   #3  
banned

Is it also a multi-vitamin? If not, what are some good multi-vitamins I could take (I am 21).
Old 01-07-2003, 07:34 AM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

Daily Extra by VitaLogic
Old 03-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #5  

Default One-A-Day Weight Loss

I purchased this because I felt like One-A-Day was a good safe brand ...Not like the weight-loss products like diet pills and supplements you read about.
I woke up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and my pulse racing...Ended up staying up the rest of the night trying to get both back to normal. Went to the dr. the next day and he made me promise to throw them away...He pointed out the green tea and something else are what caused it...He said sometimes it affects different people different and sometimes people can take something like that and not have any problems and then out of the blue a dose could give you trouble.
Just thought this might help...
Old 03-12-2003, 05:26 PM   #6  

I have had so much energy since I started this a week ago, but I am having a lot of REM sleep. I mean, a LOT! I am falling into a deep sleep but waking quickly, it's weird, I used to sleep through the night.

My trainer noticed the energy surge (I ran 5 miles on the treadmill today, I normally run 1) so, I am not sure if I will continue with it when I finish this bottle.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:40 PM   #7  

Exclamation multi- vitamin

I used to work at Nutri-Sport, which is a supplement store, so I know a fair amount about supplemnts and vitamins. One a day vitamins are usually pretty worthless. If you want a really good, effective vitamin, you might have to be willing to take more than one a day. Also, see if the vitamin is fiber based. An ongoing joke as an example is that Centrum one-a-days are the most found vitamin in toilets across the country. They are too hard to break up completely and pass through your system before you use it all up. Fiber-based vitamins break up easier. I use Super Nutrition Vitamins. They are fiber based and I really like them. They have different blends. I use Women's Blend. I also use Einstein's Favorite, which is a brain boosting vitamin. I find it really boosts my concentration. Hope I was of some help to someone.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:44 AM   #8  

So how digestable are the Flintstone's or childrens vitamins? When I take vitamins, I favor the kids versions because they are chewable and taste good. I hate swallowing those horse pills, and there is no way I'll take several horse pills in a single day.

I eat pretty well overall, so I don't feel this compulsion to obsess over vitamins.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #9  

Don't take it on an empty stomach. It doesn't sit well. :-(
Old 03-24-2003, 11:30 PM   #10  

Default Love it!

I just started using this a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I am rarely hungry, but it has not improved my energy. However, you have to take this with a meal or you WILL vomit (or at least I will), and not just a skimpy piece of fruit or something, an actual meal.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:22 AM   #11  
Cute Chick

S/C/G: 254/202/135

Height: 5'0"

I ordered a bottle of the One-A-Day Weight Smart, I am going to give it a try...I thought I was getting a good price 100 pills for $12.50 isn't bad. I will take everything that I have read into consideration when I start taking them.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 360/seetracker/160

Height: 5'8"

I needed to start taking vitamins again anyway, so I decided to give these a try. I have noticed more energy. And yes, you have to eat a meal when taking these or else you will start feeling nauseous. But I feel that way anytime I take a vitamin without food.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:49 AM   #13  

You can get the one a day weight smart at Wal-Mart for 5.00 (50 pills) At least that is where I got mine.

And you guys are right about the vomiting. But I have always reacted that way to vitamins. I even have to wait about a half an hour until after I eat before I can take them. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, my physician recommended this vitamin because I needed a good multi-vitamin as well as some extra help for my allergies. Even the strongest oral form of allergy relief was not working as well as I had hoped. And since both the multi-vitamin and the extract are contained within this vitamin, she told me to try it out. I have more energy, probably just because my body is getting all the nutrients it needs, and my allergies have been significantly relieved.

Anyway, just adding my two cents. :-)

Lilly
Old 04-10-2003, 09:35 AM   #14  
**No Excuses**

I loved taking them but like alot on this thread, I threw up when I took them. I did better when I took them at dinner with a larger meal since I'm not much of a breakfast eater. But I really didnt notice any major change.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

Yes, to feeling nauseous and lightheaded after taking them. Usually have a "stomach of iron" too. I have been taking them after lunch and they don't seem to bother me.
Closed Thread