3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Juicing Diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Swansea, south wales, uk
Posts: 15

S/C/G: 13st 1lb

Height: 5'5

Default Juicing Diet

Im considering starting the juicing diet like Joe Cross has undertaken on the show Fat Sick and Nearly Dead,

Has anyone else tried this diet? What was your experience and would you recommend it?

Im not thinking of long 30 day fast but more a 10 day fast where I get lots of nutrients as body has taken a vitamin/nutrient battering after being ill this last year so Im thinking a vitamin boost would do me good.
TummyMummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
PammyFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jax Florida/Chicago
Posts: 779

Height: 5'11

Default

Im currently on day 13 of a 30 day juice fast and have lost 12lbs
__________________
Goal:


PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
kosherveganchick
 
lucindaarrowspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 496

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Default

the joe cross movie was inspirational to me on so many levels! I had already reached the breaking point where I knew my life was heading for pain, sickness, paranoia and self loathing. I knew I had to ELIMINATE sugar and simple carbs from my diet...juicing was the first step in recovery from sugar/food binges for me. I love to juice . I love the experience of drinking an enormous over sized portion of all healthy sugar free home made juice and being satiated by the juice. So I vote yes! Starting a juice regiment is powerful!

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark : 07-28-2014 at 04:20 PM.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Swollen
 
Alhamdulillah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6

S/C/G: 301/301/180

Height: 5'9"

Default

I've replaced my morning McDonalds breakfast with a veggie/fruit smoothie. I'll see how it goes......
Alhamdulillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 460

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucindaarrowspark View Post
the joe cross movie was inspirational to me on so many levels! I had already reached the breaking point where I knew my life was heading for pain, sickness, paranoia and self loathing. I knew I had to ELIMINATE sugar and simple carbs from my diet...juicing was the first step in recovery from sugar/food binges for me. I love to juice . I love the experience of drinking an enormous over sized portion of all healthy sugar free home made juice and being satiated by the juice. So I vote yes! Starting a juice regiment is powerful!
I don't understand this.

When you juice fruits and vegetables, what you're doing is taking all the sugar, water, and vitamins from the food, and leaving out all the fibre (the filling part). You're also almost completely eliminating fat and protein from your diet if you don't eat other food.

The sugar in fruit isn't any different from the sugar in plain old white sugar (a simple carb). So you haven't eliminated simple carbs at all if you're juicing - in fact, you're getting ALL your calories from simple carbs.

I'm not saying the diet is no good, or not beneficial; I'm sure all those vitamins are good for you. But it's no way to get rid of sugar cravings (unless "getting rid of" means "satisfying").
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...

Last edited by faiora : 11-21-2014 at 07:23 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 460

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

I'll add this link, although it's not a great reference (best I have on short notice)...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3497795.html

There are benefits to having fruit instead of white sugar, as noted... but a lot of those benefits (like reduction in insulin spikes) don't apply anymore once you start juicing your fruit, because the fibre has been taken out.

Anyway, like I said, I don't think juicing is bad for you. It's just not a way to cut sugar out of your diet.
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
sally007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 17

S/C/G: 246/246/190

Height: 5'7"

Default

I agree with what you said, Faiora. Why wouldn't you want to eat whole fruits and get every last drop of benefits from them? Why juice them? It's clear that you are getting the worst part when you juice them. Why not eat 8-10 fruits each day and drink 8+ glasses of water and see where that leads you?

Anyway, this is what I started doing since yesterday: eating at least 8 raw fruits/veggetables and drinking 8-10 glasses of water.
sally007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
go ticker go!
 
begoodjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 162

S/C/G: 291/235/195

Height: 5'10"

Default

I'm on day 4 of a 10 (possibly longer if it goes well) day juice fast. I too was so inspired by what I saw in the movie I had to try it! I'm down 7 pounds so far.

I don't think I would do 60 days as Joe and others have done but I may go for 30.
__________________


Mini Goals:
1. 40 lbs lost (251): ACHIEVED MARCH 2, 2012
2. Weigh what I did when I graduated high school
(235): ACHIEVED January 5, 2015
3. 70 lbs lost (221):
4. No Longer Obese (208):
5. Onederland (199):
6. Goal! (195):

Last edited by begoodjen : 01-05-2015 at 11:37 AM.
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108

S/C/G: 250/168/128

Height: 5'6"

Default

I've done it before and I'm doing it again, with great results.

There is a difference between added sugar, processed sugar and the sugars you get from the fruits and veg that you juice. You need to watch the amount of fruit that you juice for maximum benefits, and keep to an 80/20 ratio of veg to fruits. Beets and carrots count as veg even though they taste sweet.

Much of the soluble fiber aka inulin in apples for example will still stay in the juice that you drink and this ameliorates the effects of "sugar" present in the juice itself.

The University-educated and certified nutritionalists on Joe's site address this issue. People confuse drinking processed juices with fresh pressed juices: the former, not so good, the latter, very good. I think their credibiity exceeds most of us "forum experts'" advice.

There will be many, many naysayers and I strongly suggest that you check into the Joe Cross forums where there is nutritional information and advice and support from like-minded people. I've run into very judgemental people on this forum wrt juicing which was not productive for me. Sometimes if it isn't the way a member on this forum would do it, it's automatically "wrong" and you get hit with the "why don't you just do what I'M doing" kind of thing.. Juicing is a legit way to increase your fruit/veg/nutrient intake and if the idea appeals to you, go for it. Find yourself some people who are supportive to help you along the way because juicing (whether as a short term means to an end or as a long term committment once a day for health reasons) will let you get the benefits of fruits and veg, especially if you've been lacking such intake for a while.

I love juicing, and the site recommends that you do one or two meals as a juice feast, then a low carb protein/veg kind of dinner for long term juicers. Joe Cross did his juice feast (yes, I said feast not fast) under medical supervision.

Good luck! Hope to see you on the Joe Cross forums!


Last edited by misspixie : 01-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 460

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
I've done it before and I'm doing it again, with great results.

There is a difference between added sugar, processed sugar and the sugars you get from the fruits and veg that you juice. You need to watch the amount of fruit that you juice for maximum benefits, and keep to an 80/20 ratio of veg to fruits. Beets and carrots count as veg even though they taste sweet.

Much of the soluble fiber aka inulin in apples for example will still stay in the juice that you drink and this ameliorates the effects of "sugar" present in the juice itself.

The University-educated and certified nutritionalists on Joe's site address this issue. People confuse drinking processed juices with fresh pressed juices: the former, not so good, the latter, very good. I think their credibiity exceeds most of us "forum experts'" advice.

There will be many, many naysayers and I strongly suggest that you check into the Joe Cross forums where there is nutritional information and advice and support from like-minded people. I've run into very judgemental people on this forum wrt juicing which was not productive for me. Sometimes if it isn't the way a member on this forum would do it, it's automatically "wrong" and you get hit with the "why don't you just do what I'M doing" kind of thing.. Juicing is a legit way to increase your fruit/veg/nutrient intake and if the idea appeals to you, go for it. Find yourself some people who are supportive to help you along the way because juicing (whether as a short term means to an end or as a long term committment once a day for health reasons) will let you get the benefits of fruits and veg, especially if you've been lacking such intake for a while.

I love juicing, and the site recommends that you do one or two meals as a juice feast, then a low carb protein/veg kind of dinner for long term juicers. Joe Cross did his juice feast (yes, I said feast not fast) under medical supervision.
You probably weren't replying to me, but I thought I'd mention this in case: I was replying specifically to someone saying they juiced as a way to remove sugar from their diet, which is silly since you're still eating sugar. It's still a simple carb, and your body is still satisfying its craving for sugar by processing it. So as a way to reduce sugar cravings, sure it works, but that's because you're feeding the craving. I did not mean to make any comment about the healthiness of a juice fast (or juice feast, for that matter). Only that it is not a way to wean yourself off sugar.

Again, I don't think juicing is necessarily unhealthy.

I like your note about an 80/20 ratio of veggies to fruits. Although, I don't see the benefit of removing the fibre and other solid components of those veggies and fruits. Why bother? Why not just eat the whole thing? Also, I find it interesting that some veggies aren't lumped in with fruits because of their higher sugar content. *shrugs*

As an aside, because you mention the credibility of "University-educated and certified nutritionalists [sic] on Joe's site"—their credibility is potentially hindered by bias, since the guy makes money off protein powders, book sales, and so on. I'm not saying their information isn't good—just that one has to take bias into account.

Again. I don't think juicing is bad. I'm not up-to-speed enough to form any strong opinion on the subject. I just think it isn't a way to stop eating sugar.
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108

S/C/G: 250/168/128

Height: 5'6"

Default

I don't think the OPs question was "is juicing a good way to get rid of sugar". I think her question was "who has experience and would you recommend it had you tried it". Her reasons for trying it include upping her fruit and veg nutrient intake. This is an effective way to do it.

I can't take credit for the 80/20 mix. That is on their site and it's a great rule of thumb.

I've tried it. I found it fabulous. I dscovered that the sugar issue simply "isn't" and that this kind of information is best determined by going to the Joe Cross website because this is where the most relevant info will be found (vice the Huffington Post, for example)..

There you will find out that juicing does not eliminate all the fiber from your juice as there are two kinds of fiber not just one.
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/juicing/

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/the-facts-on-fiber-juice/

On that site you will find the issue of sugars in juice addressed. You'll also understand why veggies are veggies and fruits are fruits and how to manage the various sugar contents of each.
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/everyth...w-about-sugar/

On that site you will find the support for juicing that will benefit the OP. And that I answered the OPs question.

Juicing is a great way to accomplish the OPs objectives. It worked for Joe Cross, it worked for me, it's worked for many many others. Head over to his official site -- it's terrific!

Last edited by misspixie : 01-05-2015 at 03:40 PM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 460

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
I don't think the OPs question was "is juicing a good way to get rid of sugar".
Yup, I know... I was responding to a secondary comment from lucindaarrowspark: "I knew I had to ELIMINATE sugar and simple carbs from my diet...juicing was the first step in recovery from sugar/food binges for me."
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 108

S/C/G: 250/168/128

Height: 5'6"

Default

This is how juicing eliminates sugar from your diet:
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/not-all...created-equal/

I imagine that that particular poster was referring to added and refined sugars and the fact that juicing allowed a normalization and regulation of blood sugar levels. This is the point of juicing -- not all fiber is removed, the highs and lows are eliminated, and above all, not all sugars are created equally.

Juicing definitely helps with sugar addictions and cravings, not only by removing harmful sugars, but by the concomitant effect of increasing and replenishing daily nutrient levels especially of those that help to regulate Blood Sugar.

Last edited by misspixie : 01-05-2015 at 03:50 PM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 460

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
This is how juicing eliminates sugar from your diet:
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/not-all...created-equal/

I imagine that that particular poster was referring to added and refined sugars and the fact that juicing allowed a normalization and regulation of blood sugar levels. This is the point of juicing -- not all fiber is removed, the highs and lows are eliminated, and above all, not all sugars are created equally.

Juicing definitely helps with sugar addictions and cravings, not only by removing harmful sugars, but by the concomitant effect of increasing and replenishing daily nutrient levels especially of those that help to regulate Blood Sugar.
I haven't disagreed with anything in that article as far as I can tell. In fact, I think I agree wholeheartedly with it (aside from its title).

The difference between white sugar and fruit is that fruit has other stuff in it as well. However, fruit still has all the components of white sugar in it (and we're not talking about insignificant amounts), and you are concentrating those sugars by juicing your fruit instead of eating it whole.

Yes, absolutely the nutrients are good for you, some of the fibre gets to you, and there are plenty of amazing things in fruit. No argument there. Probably freshly juiced veggies and fruits are incredibly healthy because you're concentrating the nutrients. I prefer to take a multivitamin, but that's just me. It might not be necessary if I was juicing and used good recipes.

I'm simply saying that if you're drinking fruit juice, you are satisfying your body's sugar cravings, and you are not cutting sugar from your diet.
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
NicoleLynn225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6

S/C/G: 225/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

I've done it for 3 days and have lost 7lb so far
NicoleLynn225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2