Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on the side of the 'medical industrial complex'. I'm on the side of science. Someone with a medical degree should understand the scientific method and understand what it means. Dr. Oz, given dubious studies with no repeatable evidence, recommended diet pills and not only recommended them but marketed them. It is also job security for those that throw doubt at medical treatments. Dr. Mercola is a good example of someone who has made a ton of money from casting doubt based on little to no evidence.

And really if Dr. Oz wanted to help people lose weight, he'd look into things that have been shown to help. He'd emphasize traditional exercise for many reasons and he'd emphasize increasing the consumption of certain foods and maybe reducing consumption of others. None of that isn't a pill, none of that isn't from a pharmaceutical company but it also isn't glamorous and isn't what sells.

Not too long ago, I read about the beginnings of the American Medical Association. At the time, there were tons of medical schools and tons of 'doctors'. There was no standard for getting a degree and what the various medical schools promoted was not always backed in science. In the end, a lot of people were dying of these dubious treatments by people who had gone to these various schools. At the time, people were also dubious of some 'traditional' doctors and fell for the claims of those who promised miracles. In the end, some standardization had to be put in place and emphasis on science. I see we are going the same path now where people are backing away and going with those that promise miracles with 'natural' medicine. A lot of our traditional medicine comes from natural substances, things like penicillin, aspirin and others are all naturally occurring. Even vaccines came from a non-traditional method and grew into what they are today.

My primary concern is people being offered miracles at the cost of their wallets with no repercussions for those that push the unscientific 'miracles'.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 199/189/155

Height: 5'7"

I am also on the side of science. FYI - I have a bachelor's degree in dietetics, which is enough to be a Registered Dietitian, if that was still what I wanted to do. I know, hypocritical, but I still know my physiology. &I know quackery when I see it. &Dr. Oz is a perfect example of a doctor who is selling himself and his medical credentials out. There are herbal treatments with good evidence backing their claims (examples: Ginger, St. John's Wort, Kava [however it also has dangerous side effects). Just because you stick the "Natural" label on something does not make it healthy. Anyone can say something is natural, because pretty much everything is except for man-made elements. There is no standardization. However, our pharmaceuticals are developed from naturally occurring sources. Our medical system and pharmaceutical businesses are far from perfect, but at least there is some oversight about the quality and effectiveness of those products. Supplements can say whatever they want as long as they put the standard "Not evaluated by the FDA" label on it. They can put pretty much anything in it. I cannot over emphasize how unregulated that industry is. A medical doctor has responsibility to first do no harm. Dr. Oz cannot say with any certainty that the products he pushes on his show won't cause harm. That is why we use evidence based science.

Last edited by hannahbeanies; 07-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.
hannahbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My husband tends to be gullible when it comes to the DR Oz show. He will call me in to the TV to watch something he has on when talking about weight loss, heart disease or diabetes, all which effect me. I will go online and google the item and show my husband the warnings and side effects of said items. I even do that when my doctor prescribes something. I am one who actually reads the inserts that come with my meds. LOL I have had the same doc for 15 years. I can talk to him honestly and tell him why I don't want to take a certain med and ask if there is something else I can do for my ailment. I don't just listen to the doctor's orders. They have to make sense to me long term.

The diet industry is one of the best fields to get into, because so many people are looking for a way to lose weight. Easy money, on books, supplements, etc. Improving your nutrition,cutting back on food and exercising doesn't sound like fun. There has to be some miracle that will cause the fat to fall off.

I can get very good weight and fitness advice right her on 3FC, from people who have had success and give me pointers and encouragement. And it's free! If someone is trying to make a dollar to give me advice, they do not have my best interest at heart.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 199/189/155

Height: 5'7"

I agree with you, Wannabehealthy! I didn't want to be a part of that market and sell something that I don't believe in. That is why I am not a dietitian!
hannahbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #35  

He reminded me of that creepy guy from 7th heaven they look all angelic but in reality there wolfs in sheep clothing. I never bought into Dr. Oz diet plan tips because he sounded like salespeople and I know because I used to be a top sales person and one thing you learn in sales is ( You are there friend ) I quit due to the stress and drama making top sales every year . I was so smooth that I got myself out many bad situations and looking at the Oz video his flirting with the board lady trying use some of what we call 😈 charm.
latinalava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #36  

Height: 5'4"

i think he's very likeable and what he peddles is cheap supplements he makes no money on. (though there are PLENTY of people who rip his image off and try to sell things with his name on it he has no affiliation with.) People should do their own research before buying anything for their own individual needs. Its nice to see a dr open to natural healing rather than pushing narcotics and dangerous drugs. And it IS a tv show and he has to push through things or else he gets fired.

Last edited by wannabesomebody; 01-28-2015 at 03:19 PM.
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

But the thing is that 'natural healing' can be dangerous. The pills he peddles could be dangerous especially since those pills are unregulated. He is irresponsible and should be taken off TV or at least not allowed to use the Dr title. Him and Dr Mercola both. He makes money off of what he peddles through viewership so he is making money by promising people things through unregulated pills. Is our answer to health really in a pill? No, not really.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 192/165/130

Height: 5' 5''

Just saw this article about Dr. Oz today (can't post links yet, oops)

Apparently the company that supplied the Garcinia Cambogia that he was promoting is having to pay $9 million in settlements since the pills didn't work. When will people realize there is no magic pill?
TinyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #39  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

So many people are so desperate for a little hope that they're aware and don't even care that it's in all likelihood false hope until it fails them.

How many times have we all heard (or even said), "it probably won't help, but it's worth a shot."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote