Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #16  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

It's sad how much people just eat up the Dr. Oz bullsh!t So many people will just do every single thing that man recommends. I think at one time he was even probably a credible doctor and now he just peddles garbage. His show may as well be on at 3 am with the ab-athons, and slap chops. (The slap chop is likely more valuable than many of the things the Oz is pushing) And it's too bad, Dr. Oz had a great opportunity to do something good with Oprah's seal of approval and contributed to the betterment of society.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't have any of the followers, or ratings, or money that he's gotten by selling out.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #17  
Warrior Princess

Watched him a few times and decided he's nuts along with Dr. Phil who got his psych degree from a vending machine.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:11 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 320/313/250

Height: 5.3

I remember watching an episode that he claimed a certain food was the best possible and good for your health, then the next day he said the same food could give you cancer. That's when I stopped watching. I mean what the heck? it's good or not? make up your mind. I think that it's good entertainment to watch, there are some good advices but not when it comes to products. You sort of have to really do research into anything to make sure it's right, and also use your common sense. If it's too good to be true, that's 'cause it usually is....
CuteFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #19  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

"First, Do No Harm".

I think Dr. Oz is probably brilliant. He's a practicing heart surgeon that still does surgeries every week. And he has used his show for good.

However, he has (in my opinion) violated the Hippocratic oath by peddling a bunch of this BS product and giving it a forum on his show. The sad reality is that a large portion of our public are people who trust tv for their information and don't do the research. Yes, shame on them, but in my opinion Dr. Oz has a responsibility not to put that stuff on his show. He could have dug in his heels and said no. Maybe he'd be out of a job on tv, but at least he'd have his scruples.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 193/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
"First, Do No Harm".

I think Dr. Oz is probably brilliant. He's a practicing heart surgeon that still does surgeries every week. And he has used his show for good.

However, he has (in my opinion) violated the Hippocratic oath by peddling a bunch of this BS product and giving it a forum on his show. The sad reality is that a large portion of our public are people who trust tv for their information and don't do the research. Yes, shame on them, but in my opinion Dr. Oz has a responsibility not to put that stuff on his show. He could have dug in his heels and said no. Maybe he'd be out of a job on tv, but at least he'd have his scruples.
I totally agree
summertime03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #21  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

This link is to youtube.com. John Oliver goes over the issue of dietary supplements. Note, he's a comedy show, but I looked into a few of his facts and they are legit (the ones I looked Up). He mentions how dietary supplements are not regulated, how that's possible, and what that has done. Dr. Oz is mentioned of course. He also mentions that a lot of these pills cause a lot of issues, deaths, and even then they can remain on the shelves. It's sort of nerve racking. I unfortunately tried 2 of the ones he mentioned out of desperation. One pill gave me shakes, made my head spin and I considered going to the hospital. The other did nothing, I followed its rules and did diet and exercise, I lost 2 lbs in the month I took it, it promised a lot more and that's what I can lose on my own. Waste of money, and now I learn it was dangerous even.

John Oliver is also pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0wKeokWUU#t=631

This link is also one of the things I looked into, one thing that is upsetting is that "Dietary supplements are considered safe, until proven unsafe." The opposite of drugs. That's NOT a good thing.
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/trea...da-regulations
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 199/189/155

I really think that Dr. Oz may have been a good doctor once. He is still a competent surgeon. It is really sad that the show has so much potential to spread positive change. Yet, the boring truth does not sell well. I think he knows most of the stuff he promotes is a sham.
hannahbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My opinion of DR Oz was formed when he said to take Black Cohosh for hot flashes. For years there have been warnings against it.

I think some of the information about healthy foods is good, but I hate the stupid skits he goes through to demonstrate things!

I think these companies pay a lot of money to have him push their products. I think he should be satisfied to be a good cardiologist, or change his show to promote healthy lifestyles instead of supplements.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #24  
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

In my opinion, Dr. Oz became a bit of a scapegoat. He has stated a disclaimer at the end of his show for some time now "that he doesn't endorse any products". Unfortunately, a lot of people trying to sell various products have advertised in such a way to make everyone think that Dr. Oz is promoting their product.

I don't agree with everything presented on his show. In my opinion, we all need to be intelligent consumers and check things out before using them. I'd have to say that I have taken some valuable information away from the Dr Oz show and have used some of the home remedies and supplements with a favorable outcome.

Studies, studies, studies. They say one thing one day and another the next. Coffee is good for you and then it is bad for you, HRT is good for you, then it is bad for you and then it is good for you again. We aren't all the same and we don't all react the same to food, supplements and meds. We all need to do our homework and make personal, intelligent decisions that are right for us. What is right for you, may not be the best decision for someone else.
NaughtyNibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #25  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
A long, long time ago, Dr. Oz busted diet pill myths. Then he got his own show
I think the fact that he used to be so credible is part of the problem. It took longer for people to believe he's full of nonsense because he used to be a skeptic.

I'm not home to see his show most of the time, but I really liked it at first. Then it got more and more ridiculous. All of his props, etc. are really insulting. I am very interested in learning more about the body, yet I can no longer stand his show because he makes me feel like a kindergartner.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
I think the fact that he used to be so credible is part of the problem. It took longer for people to believe he's full of nonsense because he used to be a skeptic.

I'm not home to see his show most of the time, but I really liked it at first. Then it got more and more ridiculous. All of his props, etc. are really insulting. I am very interested in learning more about the body, yet I can no longer stand his show because he makes me feel like a kindergartner.

I agree. I also don't believe that his disclaimer at the end of the show absolves him of the responsibility to avoid misleading viewers.

The disclaimer also I believe (it was always hard to read it all, because the words scrolled by so quickly) included phrases like "for entertainment purposes only" (which is a big red flag that essentially reads "do not trust anything you heard) and "not medical advice consult your physician."

The disclaimer shouts "do not trust anything I said or showed you today," but only to educated people with excellent vision (or a HUGE tv screen) who can speed read (or who tape the show and can rewind and replay the scrolling message several times to read it through).

Dr. Oz isn't directly responsible for anyone following his recommendations (or implied recommendations), but he is responsible for what he says, shows, and implies, and the fine print disclaimer that whizzes by at the end shouldn't absolve him of the responsibility to "first do no harm."

I don't think he should face criminal charges, unless he is breaking the law, but doctors have lost their medical licenses and have been fined for much less.

Sadly, the most vulnerable viewers are the poor, the un- or under-educated, and those with little or no medical coverage.

I have a master's degree in psychology which required a fair amount of human biology and anatomy coursework. I've also read extensively on health and wellness subjects such as weight loss, obesity, bariatric procedures, diabetes and insulin resistance, copd, asthma, ibs, arthritis (osteo, rheumatoid, and psoriatic), fibromyalgia, high blood sugar, metabolic syndrome, and autoimmune disease.

I enjoyed Dr. Oz's show, in it's first year, very much. Most of what he presented was good, sound medical information, sometimes oversimplified to the point it might confuse uneducated viewers, but overall a good source of information, especially since he emphasized the need to see your own doctor before trying any of his recommendations.

I noticed that as his claims got wilder, he spoke less and less about consulting a physician before experimenting (sure it remained in the end-of-show disclaimer, but that whizzes by so fast I wonder how many can actually read it. I am an extraordinarily speedy reader (I can read most 350 page novels in 3-4 hours) and I couldn't read it all before it scrolled out of my sight.

If he were simply an actor or some random guy off the street, then I would agree to use the term scapegoat, but a scapegoat is entirely innocent, and Dr. Oz is far from that.

Dr. Oz's credentials and his reputation as a "highly respected doctor, surgeon, and lifestyle coach to the rich and famous" gave him instant credibility to the masses, especially those with little or no knowledge of science and medicine.

He had to know that from the beginning. And if you're going to act as a teacher/guru, then you need to take responsibility for what you're teaching

Last edited by kaplods; 07-03-2014 at 01:21 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #27  

I know I haven't posted in a long time, but I am jumping back into being responsible for my health again and found this site once again. I seen this post and ironically didn't know anything about this because I don't watch the show because of my schedule. So after reading all of the post I thought I would add my 2cents into the mix...

Although I agree that Dr. Oz is promoting some controversial logic, there are some truths to what he promotes. For example, the episode where he went to the mall asking women what their poop looked like may seem unorthodox to a non-medical professional, it actually gives very important clues to your digestive health. I won't go into specifics here as you can do your own research or ask your own physicians.

I also believe that Dr. Oz believes in most of the alternative/homeopathic remedies that he promotes on his show. I wouldn't exactly call him a scapegoat, but like most physicians out there, they tend to be pressured by big pharma companies to push their pills. I think this is what happened to Dr. Oz as the entertainer, these big supplement companies started putting pressure on him, the network was pressuring him to raise ratings, so "for entertainment purposes only" he started featuring these "miracle pills" on his show. He may not agree or promote them personally as is stated in his disclaimer, but because it helped boost ratings and I am sure he received a nice chunk of change as well.

I do believe that he should be held responsible for what he says, just as you or I equally should be, but keep in mind he is just the middle man in this situation. It is easy to put the blame on him because he holds the medical license, which is almost always the case, however, there are greater forces at work here...ones that will slide on through the cracks unnoticed because Dr. Oz will take the heat and they will move on to the next middle man to throw under the bus...all the while they get insanely rich selling their nonsense pills.

I don't trust many doctors out there. I have worked along side them for many years now and they are no different than you or I. They have to look stuff up or research stuff the same as a layman does. The only difference is that their medical education helps them to understand the pathophysiology of the disease process better. Which isn't something you can't learn yourself.

On the flip side of this though, is I believe that American's have become way to dependent on our government to decide what is good or bad for us. We have also become way too sue happy, ready to sue the first person who said the wrong thing and we listened. Where has personal responsibility gone? Remember the lady who sued a fast food chain because she burned herself on the hot coffee and the courts ruled in her favor? Where is this woman's common sense and where is our judicial system's common sense?

Back on topic, I believe that the disclaimer that Dr. Oz has at the end of his show will protect him from any litigation in civil suits that will more than likely start surfacing once it is well known that he is being investigated. Will it protect him from governmental agencies or medical review boards should it come to that? I don't know. I wish him the best and hope that this will be a lesson learned to all Americans to not believe everything you see on TV and to do your research before you try anything at home. I will leave you with this...Just because a store sells a gun, pill, supplement, or the very bad for you energy drinks, doesn't mean you have to buy it and drink/use it. You are responsible for what you put in or on your body or what you choose to use...not the person or entity that created, endorsed or sells it. Personal responsibility and accountability!
NurseTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I've not really watched Dr.Oz of my own volition; I'd see his show when I visit my mother. My mother thinks her own doctors are highly suspect, but she takes the words of quacks like Dr.Oz and Dr.Phil as gospel.

My opinion of Dr.Oz was formed watching my mother, a diabetic who nearly died because she refused to go to the hospital, gag down several tablespoons of cinnamon because Dr.Oz says it brings your blood sugar down. This might not be so bad except she was doing it in response to a blood sugar level that should have been addressed by taking insulin, not as a method of supplementing metformin or insulin daily.

I can only imagine what will happen one day when someone isn't there to say " Hey, just humor me and please take your insulin. "

Yes, she should know better than to blindly follow the advice of a TV doctor, but the fact is that some people don't and that's why the government protects those who can't or won't protect themselves. And I'm glad they do.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Dr Oz's advice makes me think of when I was a young girl clinging to the hope that there was some miracle cure out there for my being overweight. As if I lacked some exotic fruit in my diet that would both curb my appetite and speed up my metabolism. I know some friends tried some things he recommended and each time I'd google them I noticed the sites singing their praises either referenced back his advice OR sold the item.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #30  

Height: 6-1.5

Wow! I think this is a bit unfair. I have worked for three pharmaceutical companies in my career. Once at a major and well known company in the company headquarters. I have seen the tactics used to convince doctors to use drugs. I am fairly sure I do not imagine that those tactics are any different at big natural health companies.

All people are nieve, gullible people who believe a pill will heal their ill. If they knew anything about pills they would know they were systemic poisons for the most part and would reject the notion of putting them in their mouths. Is there a difference if that pill comes from a mega corporation or a vitamin producer. Prevention is the cure when it comes to many of these diseases. Certain vitamin pills do more in the long run for your health than the symptom maskers that these "real" doctors use.

Healthy living, clean diet, exercise, and stress relievers are better for health than triple bypasses and toxic chemicals. Many natural cures work better than toxic medicine. In fact many doctors and nurses prefer it if a patient uses less toxic means to work towards health. Weight loss for instance will most likely lower chances of a list of horrible diseases. Is weight loss "quackery?" Often losing a small amount (depending on how much you weigh) will allow you to eliminate the need for many drugs. That is not "magical" thinking, that is a fact.

The medical profession needs people to become sick, stay sick, and never get well. It's job security for a lot of highly paid individuals. So why do people come at someone giving alternative therapies like a crowd of peasants with pitch forks. Do you know these things do not work? If your doctor told you, you would get better by drinking water and walking for a half hour day, is that doctor a quack because he has not given you a toxic chemical? What is going on?

And I do not know why many here seem to be on the side of the Medical industrial complex. The third major cause of death in the United States is " preventable medical errors." I would believe a naturopath or a dietician before I would take the pills from a medical doctor. Doesn't this make all of them Quacks? (They are very good with acute injuries like broken legs and cuts, but they seem to know nothing about chronic illness).

I can't say that I agree with him 100% but he's out there saying , "Hey, there are alternatives!"

Last edited by giselley; 07-07-2014 at 11:28 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote