Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default coconut

I know there's no magic pill, but coconut has been around awhile and seems to still be going strong as a weight loss aid and boosting metabolism.

Has anyone included coconut or coconut water, oil, milk, butter, etc in their diet and lost more weight? Meaning if you count calories and counted the calories from the coconut did you lose more weight than without? Is it worth it making room for it in your diet and calories.

Also, anyone know if the bottled coconut water and coconut oil/meat products are just as good as the fresh?

Reason I ask is my supermarket now has the fresh shelled young coconuts so another reason I'm thinking of trying it. I did buy one just being curious what real, fresh coconut tasted like since I never had a fresh one before, ha. Drank the water and ate the meat inside over the past few days... it did seem to give me energy and make me feel more full (even more so than other high fat foods)... not sure if it's the water or the whole coconut that has the effect, but it seemed more noticeable than with the bottled stuff I tried before, just sure was a pain to open the thing. Also knew it was high in calories but didn't realize it was that much, seems like just a tablespoonful of the meat has 100+ calories.... but if it's healthy and can help through burn more calories I'd try to fit it in.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I've been incorporating coconut for years but because I enjoy it and coconut oil is a good high heat oil, especially good for Indian style dishes. The water is a good electrolyte as well. Has it helped with weight loss? Nope, I think that is a myth.

I also haven't seen any studies showing coconut does anything with weight loss. Places where coconut is a primary staple also have high amounts of obesity, some maybe even more than the US and long before it became a major concern in the US. Not to blame that on coconuts but most likely overall diet and exercise away from traditional diets.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #3  

Thanks Nelie... do you use fresh coconut water or the bottled kind like Naked, Zico, etc? I'm thinking maybe it was the water that gave me the energy boost since it has been hot and I've been sweatin'.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've used both, I like getting the coconuts from the asian markets but sometimes they are pricey or not always as fresh as they should be.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/183/120

Height: 5"5

I personnaly use coconut milk and cream a lot (for indian style dishes and because it's waaay healthier and lighter than regular cream). I didn't really see a difference but it does taste delicious
For the coconut water read the labels well, a lot of them have tons of added sugar in them ! I tried one once and couldn't stand it (with no sugar added), does the fresh coconut water taste any different ?
Mayssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

I also use coconut oil for cooking and coconut milk in my protein shakes as well. I'm just a fan of the taste and the fact that the milk has few sugars/carbs.

Never tried coconut water though.
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #7  
it's always something

I use a coconut based creamer in my coffee because I don't care for soy and I avoid dairy. It's tasty

I don't use coconut oil. I've done the research and decided I wasn't comfortable with it and there was no benefit for me, although it feels good on dry winter skin The only oil I use is a little sesame oil in my salad dressing, which I add for flavor. I don't cook with oils at all, but if I did then I'd choose macadamia nut oil. It tastes good, and it has the most balanced ratio of omega 3 to 6 fatty acids.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayssa View Post
I personnaly use coconut milk and cream a lot (for indian style dishes and because it's waaay healthier and lighter than regular cream). I didn't really see a difference but it does taste delicious
For the coconut water read the labels well, a lot of them have tons of added sugar in them ! I tried one once and couldn't stand it (with no sugar added), does the fresh coconut water taste any different ?
The fresh does taste alot better, "just less chemically and not sitting on a shelf for weeks taste" but not really different... if you don't like the unsweetened bottled kinds you might not like the fresh either. Neither really taste like the commercial coconut flavoring that people are used to.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/161/130

Height: 5'1"

Look for the book "Eat fat lose fat" by Dr. Mary Enig & Sally Fallon. I got it out from my library over a year ago because I was curious. I'm not a big fan of coconut so I didn't really read the book other than flip through to see what it was all about. It might answer some questions for you.
EllieFunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #10  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I cook with it a bit, but I REALLY love it in my hair.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Coconut is good for you, but not amazing like they advertise. My sister in law is a dietician and comes across this quite often.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #12  

I drink coconut water (usually after exercising as its very thirst-quenching) I don't know if it helps to lose weight but at least you don't gain weight on it, and I suppose its much more healthy than sodas and maybe even juices that also contain a lot of sugar. Natural water is better of course but I like the taste of store-bought ones more)
Joanate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

My doctor had me add a tablespoon of coconut oil everyday to something hot. I use coffee. The original issue was constipation and it definitely helped that. She seems to think that it is miracle item and does help with weight loss. She also recommends it as a skin moisturizer. I was concerned because it has 120 calories a tablespoon but she did not want me to even count the calories. (I do anyway.) It may very well be a coincidence, actually probably is, but in the month that I have been using the oil, my rate of loss has slightly increased.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieFunt View Post
Look for the book "Eat fat lose fat" by Dr. Mary Enig & Sally Fallon. I got it out from my library over a year ago because I was curious. I'm not a big fan of coconut so I didn't really read the book other than flip through to see what it was all about. It might answer some questions for you.
Thanks, I have been reading more about the good fats. I know about fish oil and avocados... but still learning and reading about the full benefits of all of these fats. Even grass fed cow butter is supposed to be good for us. I'm a little concerned with all the calories though since the calories can add up quite quickly with all the fats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanate View Post
I drink coconut water (usually after exercising as its very thirst-quenching) I don't know if it helps to lose weight but at least you don't gain weight on it, and I suppose its much more healthy than sodas and maybe even juices that also contain a lot of sugar. Natural water is better of course but I like the taste of store-bought ones more)
I have read about coconut water replacing electrolytes, and it could make sense that's what gave me energy since I've been sweating alot with it being summer. I eat bananas and fruit but maybe there's other stuff in the coconuts... I never really looked into what foods replace electrolytes and those type of minerals lost when sweating and exercise, figuring just regular food is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
My doctor had me add a tablespoon of coconut oil everyday to something hot. I use coffee. The original issue was constipation and it definitely helped that. She seems to think that it is miracle item and does help with weight loss. She also recommends it as a skin moisturizer. I was concerned because it has 120 calories a tablespoon but she did not want me to even count the calories. (I do anyway.) It may very well be a coincidence, actually probably is, but in the month that I have been using the oil, my rate of loss has slightly increased.
Thanks... I have been reading about putting the oil in coffee, or Bulltetproof coffee as it's been coined with coconut oil and grassfed butter (not as bad as it sounds, lol) I guess it is one of those things that can be a miracle for some and not do much for others. Probably the only way for me to know how it will work for me over the long term is to try it...

Last edited by ringmaster; 08-21-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #15  

I like coconut water taste...and i am drinking it nowadays, as for its function of losing weight i haven't got my own experiences about it.
stufatty is offline   Reply With Quote