Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've tried Phentermine on it's own. It definitely curbed my appetite, but if there was food I could still eat so there was still a conscious effort to count calories, portions and eat healthier foods. No magic pill, still have to put the work into it for it to work, but it did help a bit. I think it did help me get back in control.

Not sure about that other ingredient, but if it's an appetite suppressant same thing applies.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/185/145

Height: 5' 7"

Default Hoping to start Friday

Hi Ladies. I'm new to this thread but have been reading your posts. I see my doctor and am going to try to get her to prescribe. She will take some convincing. Since my BMI is (only) 29.5 and not the required 30.0 to qualify. I'll ask her if I go home and gain 5 lbs and come back, then will she write the prescrip then?

I wonder what happened (Ageoldie) after you went off the meds? Did you continue loosing? Or maintain? or ???
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #18  

Saw my Doctor today. Even though my BMI was (Only) 30, she agreed to let try it for 6 weeks. I am SO excited! I will pick up my script today - AND - take my BEFORE picture. Day 1 starts tomorrow
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 175/143/125

Height: 5'5"

I took Qysmia for two weeks and lost 9 pounds. I was not hungry, and it gave me some perspective on food choices that stayed with me after I took myself off the medication. I was able to continue to lose weight, because Qysmia made no foods more or less appealing than others. I stayed on the introductory dose, never moved to a greater dosage. For obesity, I recommend staying on Qysmia. It changed my mindset about food. And, yes, it is very expensive. But, I saved in my grocery bill.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #20  

Default Qsymia rocks!

When we first moved back to the US from the Netherlands I started gaining weight. At first I didn't pay much attention. I figured it was because I was out of my rhythm due to moving and irregular eating patterns. However, once we settled in I kept gaining weight.

I am a certified fitness instructor. I was working out at the gym 5 to 6 days/week, for 1.5 to 2 hour each day and still gaining weight. Once I got a part-time job and was only going to the gym 2 or 3 times/week, it got worse.

Now I know for a fact that exercise has little to no effect on weight loss, regardless of what anyone will tell you. I was at my lowest weight when I broke my leg and couldn't exercise for 6 months.

Food intake has the most direct effect on weight.

But I wasn't eating more that I was eating in the Netherlands. So I went to the doctor. He thought it was thyroid related and put me on thyroid meds. I kept gaining weight. He referred me to an endocrinologist who SAVED MY LIFE. She happens to be Russian, and coming from Europe she explained that US foods add sugar as a preservative. So even one slice of bread here in the US can have DOUBLE the calories of one slice of bread in the Netherlands.

Don't believe me? Read the ingredients on ANY bread package in the supermarket. What is the first ingredient? Not wheat. FRUCTOSE. Some of the better brands may have it second or third, but why is it there at all? Almost every food in the supermarket is like this.

Cut to the chase...

I had to become a lot more aware of what I was eating, but she also put me on medication to (1) boost my metabolism and (2) curb my carb cravings, so I could start losing weight. The medication is QSYMIA. It doesn't work for everyone, and has to be monitored VERY closely as it can have serious side effects.

I lost 40 lbs in about 6 months. (Went from 222-182)

Another big help is either joining Weight Watchers or downloading the free app LoseIt.
Weight loss tricks:
Stop drinking carbonated beverages, even club soda. When you drink carbonated beverages they stimulate the receptors in your digestive system so that when you eat food, you absorb more fat, and less fat gets excreted.

You can also aid in fat excretion by mixing wheat bran (not wheat germ) in with your yogurt or smoothie. Just a tablespoon or two.

If you want to hear more about it, feel free to email.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 260/261/180

Height: 64 inches

Default Qsymia - worth the hassle with insurance??? Does it help?

My PCP recently prescribed Qsymia for me. She said there are a lot of hoops to jump through with insurance and attempting to get coverage if any. So that was 3 weeks ago, I have to do monthly pregnancy test which is no bug deal, but the company it comes from is just not very organized! I get automated messages saying we have received your script there is nothing you need to do then next day phone message saying I have to call back right away, so I do and the tell me the need more information from the doctor, I ask what and the person tells me I need to call my provider and have them call their number?? More automated messages left on my VM then message that the are missing the script, then they don't have my prescription benefit infoRmation? Ugh, getting so frustrated, so I am wondering if all this hassle is even worth it? Has anyone had experience with Qsymia? I read some of the old threads on this topic but did not see any recent or current ones. I am also set up for a WLS consult in a few weeks to review options, so maybe I should just wait until after that. ;(
Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Just started today. I was given a card for the first two weeks free. My insurance requires pre authorization to fill the next month. My doctor will sign but I am hoping my insurance will accept.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #23  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

The number of posts from people with one and only one post in this thread is extremely suspicious.

Hmmmmm
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I took this at the beginning of this year and ended up getting off of it because of the side effects it gave me. Did it help me lose weight? A little for the first month I took it but I couldn't handle the side effects. It caused my feet to tingle and hurt constantly, reminded me of what can happen if you are diabetic, it would hurt so bad it would wake me up at night. It also made me light headed and tired. I would say I don't recommend it but everyone is different on how they react to stuff.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
The number of posts from people with one and only one post in this thread is extremely suspicious.

Hmmmmm
My insurance wouldn't cover it.

I took a sample dose for 2 weeks. It did cut my appetite. I was losing on my own before and am after. I have raised my calorie goal. 1200 was too low for me personally to sustain long term once I was off of it.

It gave me terrible dry mouth.

Someone commented that I seemed more energetic and upbeat which was probably because I was on a stimulant.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #26  
brumfife

S/C/G: 170/135

Height: 5'2"

Topamax is the brand name of topiramate. It is an anti-convulsant drug first used in epileptics then later for migraine headaches. Tingling hands and feet, flat tasting drinks, mental fogginess are a few of it minor side effects. You do not take yourself off without the doctor's help with higher doses because of the incidence of bladder stones, not fun. I took Topamax years ago for migraines which it did help tremendously and lost a lot of weight however the medicine kept me in a state of stupidity. On one forum when investigating what other people experienced, I came across the dub for this med was "Stupidmax". So true, be careful taking this medicine.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #27  

First post on this forum. I have taken every weight loss drug out there and have had lots of success. The problem is you can't stay on them forever. Every time I went off them the weight piled back on very quickly. You need to change your eating patterns an in my case wrap your brain around what leads you to overeat.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 AM   #28  

Just wanted to add that if all these pills worked we'd all be thin
Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #29  

Default Qsymia

Hi Mary.

Yes! It works! I first took this stuff last year when I convinced my doctor to prescribe it for me. She wrote me a script for 6 weeks. The 2 weeks free low dose, and 1 month at the regular dose. I lost 16 lbs in 6 weeks. My blood pressure was down and I was feeling great. I couldn't believe I FINALLY found something that worked. I am 57 and have battled weight my whole life. Unfortunately when I went back to my doctor, her reaction to this was (unfortunately) to NOT give me an additional script. She instead told me that "now you know what to do to lose weight". Really lady? I was so mad and discouraged that I fell into a depression and quickly gained all the weight back, plus a few more pounds.

I since found a new doctor. He first prescribed Belviq for me - I had NO luck on that - then he prescribed Ephedra - which made me feel awful (so I didn't take it) - I just saw him again last week and asked him to please prescribe Qsymia for me. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me. I just filled the 2 week 1/2 dose starter script and have already lost 3 lbs (in 3 days) and will get the regular dose filled soon. This stuff is incredible. The only side effect I notice is increased thirst, which just makes me want to drink lots and lots of water. Well, guess what? that's really good for you, right? So, I recommend you listen to your daughter and give this stuff a try. Good luck.

PS: If you've already tried it, I'd like to hear how you did. Also, you can GOOGLE Qsymia Reviews on the internet and read lots and lots of success stories.

Cindy
Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #30  

Default Topamax/Phentermine combo

I saw this and was going to share just what brumfife already did.

I need to loose 50 pounds but also have migraines. I was put on Topiramate and Phentermine rather than the Qsymia brand

Hated the impact of the phentermine. Heart racing, couldn't sleep, bordering on paranoia. I had to cut the initial dose in half.

The Topiramate (Topamax) gave me all of the stated symptoms - tingling feet, all carbonation tastes flat (I drink a fair amount of club soda/sparkling water), and the brain fog. If you are of child-bearing age there is also a known connection to babies born with cleft palates if mom takes Topiramate.

That said, I lost 12 pounds with no real effort and change in exercise in less than 1 month. I also did not have a migraine. It completely supressed my appetite and I guess I was eating only 1000 calories a day though. Not really safe long term or the way to lose weight.

I couldn't take the Phentermine though. And when I went off, boom, it all came back.

Talking to the doctor about a lower dose of Topiramate only to see if it will still help with migraines (which is a common use) and imagine I'll see some weight loss benefit as it impacts taste and appetite, but can't recommend taking it just for weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumfife View Post
Topamax is the brand name of topiramate. It is an anti-convulsant drug first used in epileptics then later for migraine headaches. Tingling hands and feet, flat tasting drinks, mental fogginess are a few of it minor side effects. You do not take yourself off without the doctor's help with higher doses because of the incidence of bladder stones, not fun. I took Topamax years ago for migraines which it did help tremendously and lost a lot of weight however the medicine kept me in a state of stupidity. On one forum when investigating what other people experienced, I came across the dub for this med was "Stupidmax". So true, be careful taking this medicine.

Last edited by LibbyLeigh; 01-11-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: because I cant type and said 23 rather than 12 :-)
Closed Thread