Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

Default Saffron Extract

Has anyone else dug deeper into this natural product that was displayed by Dr. Oz? I guess it's an extract from the Saffron Flower and many companies have made their own supplements. I keep coming across more and more claims about it as well. Sometimes I wonder, "even if this is "natural", what makes it different than the other diet "miracle" fads?
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Your first warning sign is that Dr Oz recommended it.

I found the study that is referenced and the small study found that the participants snacked less while taking the saffron extract. There were no changes in weight or health in any of the participants.

So what I'd say is a single study is it is a starting point, not proof. Also, as you see, the women didn't actually eat less.

The hypothesis is that saffron extract increases serotonin in the brain which boosts your mood.

You know how else you can increase serotonin?
Exposure to bright light
Exercise
Eat foods rich in Tryptophan
Eat plenty of essential fatty acids
Eat chocolate
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/Ticker/122

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Your first warning sign is that Dr Oz recommended it.

I found the study that is referenced and the small study found that the participants snacked less while taking the saffron extract. There were no changes in weight or health in any of the participants.

So what I'd say is a single study is it is a starting point, not proof. Also, as you see, the women didn't actually eat less.

The hypothesis is that saffron extract increases serotonin in the brain which boosts your mood.

You know how else you can increase serotonin?
Exposure to bright light
Exercise
Eat foods rich in Tryptophan
Eat plenty of essential fatty acids
Eat chocolate
There's definitely nothing harmful about saffron. It's been used in traditional indian cooking for centuries. Its considered to have medicinal properties and if nothing else, gives great flavor!

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
sparklegirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl07 View Post
There's definitely nothing harmful about saffron. It's been used in traditional indian cooking for centuries. Its considered to have medicinal properties and if nothing else, gives great flavor!
This isn't about saffron or whether saffron is harmful, it is about a diet supplement that is probably overpriced and won't give people the results they expect.

Even if I didn't say it was harmful, who knows if a concentrated saffron extract is harmful? It is possible, we eat things like cyanide in small quantities but a cyanide extract would kill you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote