5 hour Energy!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Is 5-hour energy good or bad??
  • How can anything artificial out of a bottle be good for you? If they're not out already, I'm sure the reports will come out about people having heart problems or dying as a result. There is just no substitute for good diet and adequate rest. The result of those two things would be "unlimited energy." Don't waste your money or more importantly your health to make someone else rich at your expense. Sorry for preaching. I just can't stand these exploitive products/manufacturers.
  • I've taken them lots before (long road trips, super long days...) They have always worked wonderful me and I never had any side effects. Naturally I only take them on a rare occasion but they always worked.
  • There are some lawsuits going, as apparently there's been over a dozen deaths and 30 "life-threatening incidents" in the past 5 years from the energy drink:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2133434.html

Most likely, it's one of those things that so long as you use it with caution and moderation and don't have underlying health problems, it's not instantly dangerous. But it seems like you're gambling with it, hoping for some very short-term benefits and hoping there aren't nasty long-term consequences.
  • That is interesting because the huffingtonpost article doesn't mention alcohol which most energy drink deaths are related to.

I'd say caution is always wise.
  • I stay away from energy drinks. I have had really low energy for many years. Now that I am eating healthy and fueling my body with nutrient dense foods and drinking plenty of water, I actually have energy!

I say try eating better for long term, safe energy boost!
  • I have only used them when I really, really needed to be alert in the mid-afternoon. They work great for their intended purpose.
  • An independent study showed that it has more caffeine than the label claims.

There's also the issue of the deaths that have been linked to 5 Hour Energy, according to the FDA. The company says they don't know anything about it

They have been asked to remove the "no crash later" claim because it isn't true. It's just less of a crash than you might get from Red Bull.

I think their advertisements are very misleading. They attempt to make you think that thousands of doctors recommend their product, but if you listen carefully, you'll find that's not what they are saying at all. It isn't a doctor recommended product.

Shifty ads, inaccurate labels, and serious side effects.
  • Just an opinion, it's like playing Russian Roulette, you might be fine, or you might lose.
  • thanks for being honest, i know they are bed for you i guess i should have been more specific with the question. lol they say there no suger in them. im doing the IP diet and just was wondering if it would through everything off??
  • I think it'd better to ask the IP diet counselor or whatever. I'm guessing it has artificial sweeteners and some people react to those the same way they react to sugar which is why many low carb plans limit or even eliminate artificial sweeteners.
  • My brother is a long haul truck driver and used to take it. He had a physical and his iron was way high and affecting his liver. He had to get a biopsy and everything. It was finally determined it was caused by the 5hour energy drink. His doctor advised him to stop immediatley.
  • I think if you do try it, it would be wise to try half a bottle the first time, rather than downing the whole thing. I lived on them for a while in law school and was fine, but your mileage may vary... everyone has a different tolerance for caffeine!
  • Part of what gives you the pep from the 5 hour energy shots are a lot of B vitamins. Unfortunately, they also include a lot of herbal stuff as well. Save yourself the trouble and take a B-complex...gives you energy and it's already been studied and regulated by the FDA, unlike the herbal components of the energy shot.
  • Just wanted to put my two cents in about this subject. I have taken 5 hour energy probably about 3 times, and each time was fine. It was one of those things where I would forget I drank one and then all of a sudden a little while later I would get a nice burst of energy. But I would never crash which is always a good thing, I always would just come down from my little energy boost and be fine. I wouldn't recommend drinking them every day, but every once in a while you will be ok Although I will say they don't taste the greatest.