3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Vitamin D3 works like you would not believe (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/270457-vitamin-d3-works-like-you-would-not-believe.html)

AnnRue 11-24-2012 09:22 AM

Vitamin D3 works like you would not believe

So my entire dieting life... I have lost weight slowly and had trouble keeping it off. I would get to like 174 and have some candy at a Christmas party and gain like 10 lbs... instantly. And then, I couldn't lose it. Until.. 2009. My doctor did a Vitamin D3 blood test and it turned out I was severely deficient. 15 ng per ml. I was supposed to be over 30 (at that time) and now the levels have been raised to higher (suggested 30 to 60). I got my blood level up to 45 or so. I should have known... I still could gain weight but I did notice it seemed harder to do.

So come January this year I went on a diet, when my blood level was 45 ng. I lost weight fast... (of course there was more to it than just vitamin D but this is the first time I actually lost like *normies* at the age of 42 I lost better than 18). This is the first diet I was ever on with normal Vitamin D. I made my goal for the first time ever. Then come August I started eating normally again. Did I gain hand over foot? No. No I didn't. In fact, I have gained no more than 3 lbs since going off the diet 3 months ago.

If there was one thing I would say to any dieter it is that you need to pay attention to Vitamin D3

- it has to be blood level. Vitamin D is fat soluble. So you can take 4000 IU and 3000 will be trapped in your fat. There is no way to know... unless you get your blood level tested.
- it has to be vitamin d3. d2 is a plant based level and it doesn't work as well.
- Vitamin D 3 is a HORMONE. It was named vitamin incorrectly.
- Vitamin d 3 has been shown to reduce insulin resistance.
- Vitamin d 3 has been shown to be an Angiogenesis inhibitor. I bet you have heard of Angiogenesis with regard to cancer. It is how cancer cells get blood to thrive. But turns out fat cells grow exactly the same way. So Vitamin D has been shown to inhibit this process in FAT cells and also cancer.
- Many studies have now shown that it does have an effect on weight loss.
- Studies have shown that Vitamin D3 increases muscle mass.
- Vitamin D3 is hard to get from food. Very few foods have it. It is also hard to get from the sun. The oft heard 15 minutes in the sun doesn't work in certain areas of the US and in highly polluted places. You must supplement.

Since Vitamin D3 has been implicated in cancer prevention -- why not do it?

If you don't believe me... google any of these facts and check them out yourselves.

nelie 11-24-2012 11:02 AM

I tested on the low end of normal for vitamin D and my doctor prescribed me vitamin D2, she told me that she believes it is better to take d2 than d3. My levels came up and I never had any symptoms. It is a good thing to check when you have your physical.

Rana 11-24-2012 12:26 PM

My doctor also found me with reduced vitamin D levels. I do take D3, not D2, even my vegan parents take D3 because doctors say the D2 is not as easily absorb-able as the D3 version.

I do think anyone that has the health insurance to do so, to get it tested and chances are, it will be low. Mine was super low despite living in a place with sun and not wearing sunscreen. It's not enough to sit for 15 minutes, especially if your levels are really low. I had to take mega-doses until my D levels came up to minimum. Now, I just supplement with over-the-counter supplements to maintain it.

nelie 11-24-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rana (Post 4537726)
My doctor also found me with reduced vitamin D levels. I do take D3, not D2, even my vegan parents take D3 because doctors say the D2 is not as easily absorb-able as the D3 version.

I do think anyone that has the health insurance to do so, to get it tested and chances are, it will be low. Mine was super low despite living in a place with sun and not wearing sunscreen. It's not enough to sit for 15 minutes, especially if your levels are really low. I had to take mega-doses until my D levels came up to minimum. Now, I just supplement with over-the-counter supplements to maintain it.

I tried to look into the differences between D3 & D2. It appears some of the early studies on D3 indicated it has been better but studies have flip flopped. Some studies show D2 better, others show D3 but the differences are minimal. All I know is I only take D2 and my levels are good.

AnnRue 11-24-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 4537820)
All I know is I only take D2 and my levels are good.

Well I suppose it only matters if your levels are good. But I am going to guess that your doctor prefers D2 because that is what is typically what the pharmaceutical companies provide and of course, the doctor feels more comfortable with that.

The reason I warned is because some people take D2 and assume they will be getting their blood levels up but that is not always the case because generally, it is thought to require more to produce the same blood levels as D3 -- and that has been my experience. So someone could pop a 50000 IU D2 pill and be like -- oh of course this will get my levels up.. and then, find out they didn't really move.

Bottom line, you have to test the blood levels.

Some links
http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/20...NT_165066.html

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...e-weight-gain/

http://voices.yahoo.com/study-vitami...134.html?cat=5

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Rese...-muscles-Study

Katz 12-04-2012 01:45 PM

Thank you AnnRue for this post! I searched internet about Vitamin D3 and found lots of interesting info about it. Vitamin D3 seems to be frowned upon in EU. Big drug companies are trying to forbid the D vitamin sale. That says something.

EagleRiverDee 12-04-2012 02:31 PM

I agree on Vit D3. My doc has me take 5000IU a day. I have hypothyroidism and hashimotos and Vit D deficiency is tied to both conditions, as well as all other autoimmune disorders. I live in Alaska, so it's nearly impossible for me to get adequate vitamin D from sunlight exposure. Strike that- it IS impossible, except for the short summer months.

Jentry07 12-14-2012 12:08 PM

Wow I had no idea! I live in a sunny place and just always assumed my levels were fine, I will definitely have to check with my doctor on this during my next level! Thanks for bring it to my attention everyone!!!

AnnRue 12-14-2012 09:30 PM

I can't believe more people don't know about this... it makes me so angry that people are suffering (as I did) this way. If there is one thing you do this year to lose weight please please please do this.

fitin2008 02-07-2013 07:55 PM

My levels tested extremely low at 11. How much did you take daily to get yours to go up, and did you take over the counter or is there a prescription?

nelie 02-08-2013 06:23 AM

Wow, 11! Mine was in my mid 20s and my doctor prescribed me 50,000 d2. That brought it up fairly quickly and Ives maintained my levels with 2,000 d2. Did your doctor give you a prescription?

megsmom8816 02-08-2013 08:57 PM

I cannot get my thyroid levels right, AND I cannot lose weight. Next time he does blood work I am definitely asking for a Vitamin D test.

EagleRiverDee 02-09-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megsmom8816 (Post 4626872)
I cannot get my thyroid levels right, AND I cannot lose weight. Next time he does blood work I am definitely asking for a Vitamin D test.

What are you doing to try and get your thyroid levels right, if you don't mind my asking?

mandypandy2246 02-10-2013 11:50 AM

Yes vitamin D! And obese women tend to have lower levels of it (correlation - not necessary causation - however, there is some evidence that lack of vitamin D can cause weight gain - also some evidence that being an obese women can make it hard to absorb the right amounts). So get tested - and take a supplement! And in fact, ther is a lot of literature that suggests the amount that lab tests say is "normal" isn't even enough - so everyoen should consider this important supplement.

KittieKat 02-10-2013 11:58 AM

my blood test should a couple years ago, I was very low on Vitamin D. So my doctor said I need to take it for the rest of my life.

What is the different between vitamin D - D2 and D3?

AnnRue 02-10-2013 07:55 PM

I took 4000 IU of D3. I purchased it at CVS. I got nature made tablets. I suck at swallowing pills so I just chewed it. Easy peasy. I posted on my blog today something about this. D3 may work in ways they haven't figured out yet. When I got my levels up -- a weird thing happened. My body temperature went up. I was surprised about this but it seems it is well known that calcium can cause your body temp to go up. Well, what does Vitamin D do... it helps your body absorb more calcium.

This is the link along with my body temps. http://meanfatb.blogspot.com/

the shiv 03-06-2013 02:29 PM

I bought some today, it's been on my list ever since I first read this. I've not been tested, but where I live there's not exactly much sunshine. I think we have a sunny day scheduled for mid-July, I hope I don't miss it.

I've got 1000 IU, the highest I could find. It says take 1 a day, so I'll do that and see how I get on. I hope it does raise your body temperature, as I am constantly freezing!! :(

mandypandy2246 03-06-2013 02:47 PM

BTW - I live in phoenix and forget to use sunblock on a daily basis (use it at the pool but not going about day to day business), I was low on Vitamin D. So the sun isn't always enough. I definitely get 15+ minutes a day of sun iwthout sunblock.

Silverfire 03-06-2013 02:59 PM

After reading this I too picked up a calcium +D3 (650mg + 400IU) supplement. I haven't been tested but I very rarely see the sun so I thought I would give it a try. I have been taking it for about 2 weeks now, along with a regular multi vitamin.

BreathingSpace 03-19-2013 05:58 PM

Ok, I finally took the plunge and got some Vitamin D3 1000 IU tabs. I took 1000 IU daily for 2 days and today took 2 of them (2000 IU). Not sure how much I should take, but i live in a rainy dull place and always suspected I was low. I have blood sugar issues, always tired, basically all the symptoms of thyroid or adrenal problems, but no actual thyroid or adrenal medical issues....

I'll update if I find a difference!

ICUwishing 03-22-2013 02:54 PM

For those who make a point of avoiding the doctor, a membership in the Life Extension Foundation allows you to order your own bloodwork. The results will be mailed to you, and they have people on staff who are very helpful about walking you through what the results actually mean. The Vit D test costs $47. It is possible to take too much D, so it's important to have this information.

TripSwitch 03-22-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICUwishing (Post 4678254)
For those who make a point of avoiding the doctor, a membership in the Life Extension Foundation allows you to order your own bloodwork. The results will be mailed to you, and they have people on staff who are very helpful about walking you through what the results actually mean. The Vit D test costs $47. It is possible to take too much D, so it's important to have this information.

There definitely is a "sweet spot" when it comes to Vit D levels... So people really should find out what their levels are before they go supplementing on their own...

Sinderelly 03-22-2013 07:29 PM

When I went for my physical in October.. my Vitamin D levels were pretty low. She put me on 50,000 mg a week. I take one mega dose pill every week at the same time. I tend to feel really good a few days after taking it and as it gets closer to the end of the week.. I tend to feel sluggish and more tired.. I'm thinking it has to do with my Vitamin D levels dropping once it gets closer to my next dosage. Hopefully this helps my weight loss!

sorrybucky 03-31-2013 03:35 PM

Vitamin D

I've been taking a large dose of Vitamin D for a year now. I Haven't lost weight but that's because my diet has been horrible. I'm trying to figure out a good diet plan for myself at the moment.

Anyway the past year I was having problems with prolonged periods and pain. I went to the doctor and found out I have several fibroids. The diagnosis was a hysterectomy. I lived with the pain and problematic periods for nearly a year then I started taking a large dose of Vitamin D. About a month after I started taking around 4000 IU of Vitamin D my excessive bleeding stopped and my periods became normal again. I'm still taking D and still haven't had any bothersome lady problems.

I'm hoping once I'm consistent with a weight loss plan the D will help facilitate weight loss. I have put on weight in the last year but not as much as I should have. I believe the Vitamin D may have helped keep me from gaining too much weight. Anyway after the studies I've read I'm a big believer in Vitamin D.

AnnRue 04-06-2013 11:18 AM

I just want to be clear... vitamin D is NOT a weight loss pill. Even at full levels I only found it was like 1/3rd an effect. As if your RMR went up by 1/3. But since it is so amazing for SO much... there is no point in not taking it.

So I live in New England and every year since 2009 I have gone to Florida for thanksgiving. Usually I get a sunburn but likely spend about 3 days in the sun. Then I also ... supplement. I NEVER get a head cold in the winter.

This thanksgiving I went to NYC. So I got no sun.... I supplemented. After getting a horrible cold every month this winter.. I went to the doctor and got tested. I was "insufficent". My level was 24 ng per ml. And I gained about 5 lbs this winter. I am working on supplementing and as soon as the sun comes back I plan on getting myself a suntan... but honestly... this makes a massive effect.

PS I had to move my blog address http://meanfatb2.blogspot.com/
sorryBucky have you considered natural progesterone? I also have fibroids and that helped so much getting things under control although they have not gone down in size my periods are lighter and pms is gone and pain is lessened. Look into it.

kaplods 04-06-2013 02:06 PM

I'm on a number of prescription and otc medications and supplements, and I'd give up my prescription meds before I'd give up my vitamin D, fish oil, folic acid and niacin. They've been the most helpful "medication" in managing my health issues. Keeping a low-glycemic, moderate-to-low carb diet has been the most helpful of all (and the most difficult, because the high glycemic foods are so addictive).

tea2 04-06-2013 03:39 PM

Yup. I had low levels and was stuck at the same weight for 6 months no matter what I did. I was ready to tear my hair out. Then I went to the doc, had the blood test, and she said to take supplements. I have been taking d3 and the scale is now moving down. Whew. It took about 3 months of supplementation, tho. I have to go back and get tested again.

The low levels make sense for me because winter is long here and although I'm out a lot in the summer, I wear sunscreen. I've been trying to get out more, even in the cold. I imagine the docs here tend to test for it a bit more because of the location.

Way2goU 04-09-2013 09:32 AM

I saw an "expert" on TV recently. I can't remember who he was but it was on a national news show. Anyway, he said that you don't need to have any blood work done. That most people can just assume that they are deficient. He also said that it doesn't matter what form you get the vit. D in they'll all work. Don't know if he is correct, just thought I'd share.

Quirky Chick 04-09-2013 10:14 AM

Wow. A few months back my Rheumatologist ordered several viles of blood work and order over 20 tests, and one test came back showing I was extremely vitamin D deficient. So he put me on prescription vitamin D. I am now supposed to get on over the counter ones, but I keep forgetting. Actually, I'll write it on my list now :dizzy:

I wonder if that's part of my weight loss issues; I tried dieting in late 2007 and I stayed at 1,400, like everyone said is the healthiest intake to lose at. Well, I didn't lose weight - none at all. If I was not exercising, I could not go above 800-1,000 cals, or I simply lost nothing. If I did walking for half an hour once or twice a day, I could sometimes go up around 1,100 and lose. But after about 60 lbs, I hit a big plateau. I have fibromyalgia and other stuff, so I couldn't put a notch up on my exercise, so I had to stay under 1,000 for a few months. Of course my old rheumy said it was ok - he said it was important I lost weight. I later had my thyroid tested, thinking there had to be something wrong. Well, results come back and she said the numbers were a little lower than a person would want, but not low enough to consider it hypothyroidism. I told her about my fasting and binging tendencies when I was a teenager, and she said maybe I messed up my metabolism, but she said surely it wouldn't be that bad. Now, I wonder if it's been the vitamin D the whole time. Definitely going to buy all the Ds and start taking them.

lechile 04-11-2013 03:44 PM

i need to check my levels next time I go to the doctors! Thanks for sharing.

AnnRue 04-13-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirky Chick (Post 4699365)
I wonder if that's part of my weight loss issues; I tried dieting in late 2007 and I stayed at 1,400, like everyone said is the healthiest intake to lose at. Well, I didn't lose weight - none at all.

I think it very well could be. My history sounds like you. When I was a teenager I gained all my weight quickly. (over 3 months in college) I had the thought that there was something wrong then. Over the next ten years... I tried to diet and always got stuck... well before my goal and then would gain it back insanely quick. I was eating low food. I was exercising.

But this was the only diet I tried when I had full vitamin d levels. And it went so much easier.

I have actually struggled recently... I suspect even though I am taking more vitamin D, I am just not getting enough.

Here is also what I think happened last year... vitamin D gets stored in fat. Last year I started burning fat and releasing vitamin d that had been stored in the fat. So the levels were high with lower supplementation. Now, at 160... I have less fat, and I am not burning too much. So I have to take more vitamin d.

Had I not had that recent test, I would have been down at lower levels. I am now taking about 4000 IU per day. But since I am not seeing a ton of weight results .. I am wondering if I am taking enough.

Marms 04-17-2013 07:33 PM

I just had mine tested last week. The results were 9. Not good. I started taking 5,000 IU a day. Hopefully it makes a difference.

x Ophelia x 04-17-2013 10:32 PM

I'm actually going to have a blood test for some other things, just checked and D3 is checked. lol. Hoping to go Saturday.

geoblewis 04-17-2013 11:36 PM

My D levels are low as well. I had been taking supplements for a few months, then got overwhelmed with all the vitamins I was taking, so I took a break. Three months later, I'm finding that I have huge cravings for fat and my weight is stuck, no matter what I do. I did some reading into the fat cravings and read somewhere that I might be experiencing them because I'm short on the fat-soluble vitamins, namely D, and my body thinks it's not getting enough fats.

Also read somewhere that it's not enought to just take the D. Also need to get into the sun for 15 minutes to make it work. I thought all I needed was to get direct sunlight, but with such a low level of D, I need both?

Hope all this information is accurate. Started taking my supplements again five days ago. Fat cravings stopped two days ago. Am really looking forward to the weight dropping!

the shiv 04-20-2013 01:35 AM

Well, the strongest I could get my hands on is 1000IU. I've been taking one, sometimes two, most days. If I want to go for a larger dose, do I need to buy a stronger version? The idea of taking up to 5 tablets at once just feels wrong, even if I were to space them out over the day. A bit confused... :coffee:

geoblewis 04-20-2013 01:49 AM

From the Mayo Clinic website:
Quote:

Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity.
You'd have to take an awful lot to get to that level. Five capsules isn't that much. You can take them all once a day.

the shiv 04-20-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 4713102)
From the Mayo Clinic website:

You'd have to take an awful lot to get to that level. Five capsules isn't that much. You can take them all once a day.

Ah, cool, thanks :)

I'll continue experimenting with it, see what works best :)

EagleRiverDee 04-22-2013 12:51 PM

I take 5000IU a day. If I miss a dose, I'll double up the next day. I get blood tests routinely and my serum Vit D levels are still only in the 70's which is good but not great and definitely not toxic.

Radiojane 04-22-2013 01:35 PM

I have to have some bloodwork done this week, I'm going to see if I can have this test added. I've already bought the supplements and have been taking them for a few days. I know I don't get near enough sunlight!

AnnRue 04-25-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoblewis (Post 4710618)
Also read somewhere that it's not enought to just take the D. Also need to get into the sun for 15 minutes to make it work. I thought all I needed was to get direct sunlight, but with such a low level of D, I need both?

I am not sure but I think it is possible that you need it from the sun in some small amount. However, it is really NOT true that 15 minutes in the sun will give you what you need. There is a ton of other factors that can really reduce how much Vitamin D you produce. There is a pollution map I saw once and it showed clearly that even on a bright sunny day in the middle of summer you can have too much pollution to get enough of the UVB rays in 15 minutes. Also, in some parts of the US you basically cannot get the correct rays any other time but from 11 AM to 2 PM from May until September.

That said, I had an interesting thing happen this year. It was the only year I did not get my Thanksgiving trip to Florida (were I usually got at least a slight burn) and I have been paying for it all winter long. Even though I take a supplement -- it just didn't work properly with a long period without sun. I live in the northeast so that is October to April with no sun. My levels were low and I had three colds in three months.

I have heard that you can get the UVB rays that produce vitamin d from tanning salons. But I have not yet gone. So I presume that doing that one or two times during the winter could be enough to really help.

Quote:

Well, the strongest I could get my hands on is 1000IU. I've been taking one, sometimes two, most days.
You should try Amazon. They definitely have more than 1000 IU.

But lets get the terminology down correctly. The 50,000 IU pill that doctors give out is Vitamin D2. D2 is a form that is not as easily accessible to the body. Your body takes that and makes D3. So.. you need much MORE of it to get D3. If you take D3 direct, your body can use that and so, you need much less.

So I believe the oft quoted like is that 10000 IU of D3 and UNDER has been shown to be safe. So when people say that 50000 IU is toxic, that CAN be toxic if it is D3. NOT D2 (or the prescription form).

As far as I know you can take up to 10000 IU of D3 without showing any toxic symptoms and frankly, again, it is not what you take --it is the level in your blood.