Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 10:52 AM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Just back from Miami...

Got in to SFO last night and just now getting a chance to log in and check stuff! Whoa! Hey! What did I start??

How I lost the weight -- Starting in 1990, I was on Optifast for 12 weeks, and went down from 265 to 207 in those two weeks, however to KEEP IT OFF (which I assume is what we all want to do, right?) it's basically just been watching my calorie intake and falling in love with exercise. Basically I concentrate on trying to eat healthy most of the time. Exercise is an important part of pretty much every day as well! I'm not always perfect - in fact, I'm a bit apprehensive about this coming Tuesday when I hop onto the scale (there are SO MANY good restaurants in Miami - plus we were staying at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel which is about as elegant and luxurious as you can get!) because we were eating out every night! BUT I did make sure to hit the exercise room each morning before starting work, and ate a lot of fruit and veggies.

To you Miami citizens out there -- a toast to your city -- I am already planning on visiting again - this time with my husband!

Later everyone! Take care.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:04 AM   #17  
Sally111

Default hello fitness scam people

Here's my philosophy- most advertised diets work if you use them consistently- I did Weight Watchers years ago and I lost about 40-50 pounds with it. Then I blammed Weight Watchers when I chose to stop using it. It was my fault that I gained everything back.

I did Jenny Craig and that worked until I stopped going. I used to swim an hour and a half at my old fitness center and then I would come home and do the Richard Simmons aerobics video- twice and all of that stuff worked until I chose to no longer use it.

I really think that Slim Fast probably works if people use it consistently. Let's face it, most of these weight loss companies have been in business for years and years and they wouldn't be in business unless their products worked. Word of mouth is more powerful than any other form of advertising.

We all need to take responsibility for your own decisions and weight loss. Everyone know that Weight Watchers works. My girlfriend did Jenny Craig and it worked. My mom used Slim Fast. All of these things work if you decide they are going to work. If you want a change in your life you have to change it. Get rid of the excuses and take responsibility.

For things to get better in your life you have to make them better. It's up to you. It's not up to Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, Richard Simmons, etc... stop blaming others for your decisions. It's hard to face the truth. when I got to 345 pounds in 1999. That was my fault. I was still blaming my doctors who had me on steroids after my brain tumour surgery.

I used steroids to bring down the swelling in my head. Then I went through chemotherapy and radiation to kill the rest of the brain cancer. The steroids did make me feel hungry all the time, but it was choice to eat all the time. These businesses are in business for a reason. They wouldn't be in business- some of them since the 80's, 60's , etc... if they didn't work.

Scams don't hang around for 20+ years. Excuses do. Believe me I have had my share of excuses. Ask yourself where you will be 5 years from now if you don't get the weight off this year? That's what's important- not finding out that Slim Fast is the newest scam and so on.

Sally

Old 03-18-2001, 12:14 PM   #18  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

Way to go sally!
You are absolutly corret, we always blame the product, doctor etc when we fail or regain what we lost. We all need to start taking responsability for out own actions. I have tried several weight loss programs, Loads of excersise works great, so does Slimfast and other diet drinks or bars. We all need to find what works for us and not worry about everyone else! Kenedy I understand how you fee. I have alos noticed people putting down others for their choice of diet plan. Not just Slimfast either. Hoever part of what I like about this site is that we can find out from oter peoples experiences what we would like to try or not try. For instance I was thinking of using metabolife and because of what I learned here chose not to. Hey loosing weight is just not worth the risk to me. But I do respect the descisions of those who choose to use it and like it. Ok now we have all let off steam lets go to our respective SUPPORTIVE threads and enjoy some positive interaction.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:19 PM   #19  
# 3 Fan Forever

I find it scary that an OB would say that Slim Fast, which contains Nutra Sweet, an unproven chemical as to it's effects on an unborn baby, was okay to drink for a pregnant woman. Ensure, maybe; but Slim Fast, I would find another doctor. I would never be willing to be the first to find out the effects of Nutra Sweet or any other chemical using my baby.

As far as Slim Fast in general as a weight loss product, Tommy Lasorda is living proof of what happens when you stop drinking the stuff. Do you really want to do 2 shakes a day for life? I agree, it's okay as a once in a while thing, I still use my protein powder from one of my old diets as a supplement to WW, but I would never, could never, knowing the effects it can have on a body doing it for too long, do it more than one a week when desparate.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:53 PM   #20  
Puds mum!

Actually my OB is the best out here(vancouver) and it is very very hard to get in to see him because of that. I was just fortunate that I got into him when someone cancelled last pregnancy and he doesn't like to switch patients for pregnancys. I have asked around and found that alot of other women are drinking it. The slimfast in Canada doesn't contain nutrasweet at least not on the cans I have. It has aspartame and sugar but I drink alot of diet pop which has aspartame because for me withdrawl is alot more dangerous than that. He is very careful of what he puts the patients on.He wouldn't even give me diclectin for ms. I tried boost and ensure and hated them both so he said this is good just as long as I am only having it for snacks not meals during pregnancy! I don't know why but I just didn't like boost and ensure. Maybe it was the flavour I don't know.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:52 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Clarification...

FYI, NutraSweet is aspartame's trade name (in the USA anyway - I know other countries use different names).

Our company has an office in Canada and I know that trade names can be extremely different from American ones!

I also believe that the exclusive patent on NutraSweet ran out some time ago - so other companies can manufacture aspartame, just can't call it NutraSweet!

I use quite a few aspartame products and believe strongly that it is safe for the average person - mainly because Dad, as a beverage chemist, worked extensively with the product starting in the 70's before it was introduced by the general public. I don't know whether the product has any effect on pregnancy though!
Old 03-21-2001, 08:21 AM   #22  

Default AMEN

I'LL TAKE EQUAL EVERY TIME!!!
Old 03-21-2001, 09:42 AM   #23  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Equal except...

...in my iced tea, I was raised on Sweet N Low and, darn it, iced tea just doesn't taste the same to me without a couple of pink packets added!!! :0
Old 03-21-2001, 09:45 AM   #24  

Default Kennedy...

Hi! Just a quick note to say slimfast does not have aspartem/nutrisweet in it. Artificial sweeteners give me migrane head aches. My own personal feeling on the subject besides having the side affect from artificial sweeteners is that its best to stay as NATURAL as possible especially during pregnancy Guess what I'm saying is...SLIMFAST is perfectly safe while pregnant. I agree with you 100% about the energy boost that it provides, and a good variety of vitamins as well! A good in between meals snack for "A MOMMY 2 BE"

Last edited by babewannabe; 03-21-2001 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:17 AM   #25  
Puds mum!

I said It does because right on the can it says in big letters Sweetened with "aspartame,Sugar and fructose" Maybe you are reffereing to the premade cans?I just looked at it again so Im sure it says that it says aspartame. I am talking about the chocolate royale powder. I also have a US mix can and it says the same thing. I have heard but could be wrong that the pre made cans are all sugar no artificial sweetners.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:32 AM   #26  
Simply Noble

Mabe we should call this thread " Slamin Slimfast" Kennedy if you want some positive feed back come join us at the Success with Slimfast thread under diet plans. At least then you could get some SUPPORT instead of a bunch of people putting down youre choice of diet aids.
I am thouroughly disgusted with all of these people who waste energy putting down other peoples choices. It is not as if it were life threatening like some of the diet drugs out there. She could be using Metabolife! This site is suposed to be a place where we can all encourage each other to reach our goals. While I do agree that comparing notes is very helpful and I have goten a lot of valuable advice frome some of you , I think it is very thoughtless and unkind to make someone feel bad because they don't use the plan you prefer. To each his own.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:11 PM   #27  

COWGIRL You apparently didn't read the posts very well because I for one talked positive about it. KENNEDY Apparently for what ever reason it must just be in the powder formulas, because its not listed on my can of premixed. Looks like you better get to buying some premixed, besides they actually taste better than the powder kind. ENJOY!!
Old 03-23-2001, 12:14 PM   #28  
Simply Noble

BABE, I apologise if you were offended but I was not trying to say that everyone here was being negative. Just most of you. Now I just hate seeing people fight over something so silly and I am sure Kennedy's OB would not let her use something he though might endanger her child. And this is comeing from someone who blames a doctors mistake for the death of her husband! If anyone has a reason not to trust doctors it's me. Now the info about wether there is aspertame\nutrasweet in Slimfast products is interesting. Myself I always prefered the pre mixed kind. It tastes better and is easier to deal with away from home. I hate those lumps you get with the powder and it is such a pain in the but to make. Well anyway I am not going to continue this discussion with you gals. Hope you get it all sorted out but I fo one am here to be encouraged so I'll stick to visiting the threads that do just that.
Old 03-23-2001, 05:52 PM   #29  

Okay you guys, this is starting to get out of hand again Let's all just try to agree to disagree. This arguing isn't beneficial to anyone. I know it is hard but we just have to accept everyone's opinions and move on. It would be a very boring world if we all had the same opionions and ideas so lets just respect the fact that we are all different and enjoy the message boards. If a topic makes you angry just try to avoid it ok?

Brenda
Old 03-24-2001, 06:50 AM   #30  

Thank you Brenda, well said.

Liza
Closed Thread