Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #31  
"I WILL ENDURE"

I'm fairly sure this doesn't work and may make matters worse. A very good friend of mine has been using this product for over a year. She's gained about fifteen pounds since she began "dieting" and using this product. She claims she's been following the plan exactly.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #32  
Fighter

I did the Slim-Fast thing for 2 months, and followed it to the letter. Not only did I get sick of eating SWEET things all the time, I didn't lose a single pound. I was exercising 3x a week, too. I think it's ridiculous that those meal bars are 220 calories, I can think of a lot more tasty ways to spend 220 calories. And why does everything offered by Slim-Fast have to be so darn sugary??? Anyway, I wasn't impressed, it didn't work for me, but who knows -- it might work for you. I doubt it, though. Besides, if it makes you lose weight, you'll gain it back when you go off it, since the plan teaches you zero about healthy eating habits so you won't know what to eat to keep the weight off.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:23 PM   #33  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HarmonyBreeze
And why does everything offered by Slim-Fast have to be so darn sugary???
Simple answer: because sugar is a cheap source of carbs.

Just call it SlimFat
Old 09-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #34  

I lost a good amount of weight on slim fast about four years ago.

Yet, here I am the pounds found their way home really fast.

This time it's going to be a good balanced plan that I can live with for the rest of my life.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #35  

I want to post this message I sent to my physician about the HMR meal replacement program I tried. I did have migraines and digestive problems with this program and the meals tasted like dog food to me. I want to figure out two things - How to get myself to eat in the morning so I don't get over-hungry and eat crap later and how to cook low fat healthy food and be knowledgable about what calories I am putting in my body. I thank all of you for posting the other products aside from slim fast. as with others, I used it to kick start the process so it would be easy and I wouldn't be overwhelmed. losing 100+ pounds is a lot to take on. I have aheadache now, and it's probably because i haven't had enough protein. I was terribly disappointed by HMR's coach - i was really looking for a group. I have thought since, that perhaps i wanted to geive someone else the responsibility for my weight loss instead of taking it on myself. I have lost weight in the last three weeks - not sure how much because i try not to weigh myself more than once a week. I just don't want to get into the obsessive-compulsive stuff that sometimes comes with being hungry all the time. So I will look for something healthier than slim fast (less sugar). I am 210.5 on 6/24 to 205.5 on 7/1 - trying to stick with about 1700 calories a day. I take the slim fast with me at jobsites, so I have at least something handy.

"I went to the meeting tonight with my husband and family
rooting for me. They are interested in selling their
product, and not in helping me work out ways to change my
food habits and solve problems in way that helps me. There
is little give and take at HMR - if you can't tolerate the
artificial sweeteners, they don't want you there. They
don't want to tailor their program to our needs if it
doesn't fit their corporate plan. They don't want anyone
to say in the group meetings that the "product" isn't
agreeing with them. Well anyway..... what do I do now but
try to pull my family around me. I bought some slimfast
and some prefab meals. It takes a lot to get the
motivation to try to change. I am really disappointed in
HMR and the flexibility. I think you should get the co-op
to change to a more flexible program that doesn't eject
people. I went into this mostly for the group support. Do
you have any other suggestions within ghc to approach this
problem?" thanks for listening
Old 07-07-2004, 11:51 PM   #36  
I lost over 80 pounds!

Slimfast did not work for me, I had WORSE sugar cravings than ever! Also, I found that my skin broke out and was blotchy whenever I was drinking the stuff for a day or two. I stopped drinking it and my skin got radiant and glowing. I just created my own eating lifestyle and developed my own recipes and the weight fell off.

The best way to lose weight is to create a lifestyle that you can live with. Slimfast is a short-term thing. Being thin and healthy is not a short-term thing for me. I have some wonderful recipes for breakfast bars and smoothies that are good for you, put healthy things into your body and give you energy, sans the sugar.

Many a day I would lament over my Slimfast, "There's GOT to be a better way!"

And I found it.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:20 AM   #37  

Default so post your recipies already!

went for a late night walk on the lake tonight and enjoyed it. trying not to eat or drink anything regretful... almost successful. what a pleasure.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie in MT
I do drink slimfast (the soy fruit ones) on the weekends. I thought I was getting protein. Guess I'll have to look for another route when it comes to a protein drink. Thanks for the info.
If you're looking for a pre-manufactured shake that's high in soy protein and low in fat, I recommend the Kashi shakes and the Natural Soy shakes. Both are from reliable companies, and taste a lot better than Slim Fast.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #39  

My cousin was eating and drinking that crap and she offered me one of the chocolate bars. She said, "at first it tastes okay, then it tastes like cardboard." Soooooooooo true, uuuuuuurgh, give me my soy milk and fresh fruit n vegies as snacks any day!!
Old 07-15-2004, 11:46 PM   #40  
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotojunkie
I have some wonderful recipes for breakfast bars and smoothies that are good for you, put healthy things into your body and give you energy, sans the sugar.
I would really appreciate it if you could share some of those recipes with us. My wife and I are currently using Slimfast as we find the shakes to be simple and convenient, but we would definitely like to try something more nutritious! Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:08 AM   #41  
it's always something

I agree, we can always use more recipes! We hope you'll copy them to our food forum

In the meantime, we have about 70 smoothie recipes in our recipe section.

I like to just throw things in the blender. I mix nonfat plain yogurt, Splenda, soy protein powder, fruits, and milk as needed. I love to mix in unsweetened applesauce and a liberal dash of cinnamon. Tastes like apple pie
Old 07-16-2004, 05:24 AM   #42  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I like to just throw things in the blender. I mix nonfat plain yogurt, Splenda, soy protein powder, fruits, and milk as needed. I love to mix in unsweetened applesauce and a liberal dash of cinnamon. Tastes like apple pie
Yum....that sounds good to me!! I'm going to try that. I bought a $40 blender to make these things and I never do. Guess it's time to start!!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #43  
Uber-Moderator!!

I don't make smoothies very often - I need something more solid in my tummy to keep me going - but when I do I prefer to use my Braun hand blender! A lot easier to clean up than my Osterizer (and yup, it crushes ice too).

Something along the same lines: I like to use my Braun to 'cream' cottage cheese smooth (not a big curd fan), blend with a 'light' yogurt such as Light & Fit, a dash of vanilla extract, maybe pop in a spoonful of vanilla FF/SF instant pudding mix and put the whole thing in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to 'set' into a cheesecake-like consistency (if you use the pudding mix that is). VERY yummy and satisfying - lotsa protein too!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #44  

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the info on this forum. I am currently and officially 10 pounds down and continuing. I have opted to take slimfast as an emergency supply in my travels and have been making great salads and other stuff. real food does taste better and is more satisfying. I am about to take the last of my registration exams and am used to dulling the fear with wine - i have stopped drinking wine (except on special party occasions) and have made it about 4 weeks now without for the most part. I still don't trust myself to have it in the house because i am concerned with my own temptation to drink more than a glass or two. the question i have is, if i used food and wine to calm my nerves, and i am currently really under a lot of stress, and have to study a lot (which i don't enjoy at all) what should i do to replace them? i feel like i hold things in a lot and then they bubble out. i get annoyed easily and i think it's because i am so scared. i have five more exams out of nine total. it will take at least two months to get through this and i am totally on edge and miserable. i don't know how i can live with this and not make it a torture session. any words of encouragement? what is the best forum to ask for help in? i am a newbie in the group - support is appreciated. thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 10:08 PM   #45  

Smile

I don't know what program you're doing, but it sounds like you need to get some frustration out with exercise. If you have access, a punching bag is great for getting out frustrations! Vigorous walking can also reduce stress. Just make sure you check with your doctor first to make sure you're healthy enough to do it!
Closed Thread