Body Fat Scales?

• Hey, does anyone know if body fat scales are a good investment? I've read that they don't measure very accurately, but would they still be consistent on the same person? For example, if my body fat decreased, would that be an accurate gauge? If so, what kind/brand would you recommend? Thanks!
  • I just bought a Tanita Body Fat scale and I love it. I got it at Costco for $40...i think it's one of the best investments i have made
  • I have the Tanita too but I wish I had done more research before I bought it. Apparently they are WILDY inaccurate (like as much as 6 and I've also read up to 12%!) and notoriously inconsistant. Like the more hydrated you are, the lower your bf% reads...I've noticed that it's higher in the morning and then 5% lower at the end of the day after I've been guzzling water.

Also, I've lost like 30 pounds and my BF% hasn't budged other than the fluctuation at the end of the day. That can't be right.

Do some research before you buy. If I had it to do again, I'd just invest in a better scale.
  • Hi All.
    We have the Tanita and it works fine. I think the key is to have it programed correctly. There is a button for myself and one for my husband. My daughter is the same height as I am so she uses my button. I believe our scale was $69.00. We've had this scale for around two years without any problems.
    Toodles,
    Denise
  • I have the Tanita scale as well. It only measures weight in 1/2 pound increments. Since I've joined WW I really wish I had bought on that measures in .1 pound incremetns. It also has a body fat reader on it. My body fat is decreasing and although I don't know what my body fat really is this seems to be a good indicator. My body fat does not change much from day to day but I have gone down by by 8% points and I have lost a lot of weight. My DH weighs more than me, is taller than me and his body fat is the same as mine. I'm not placing too much value on it. Once the one at the gym is up and running I'll use that one for serious measurement.