3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Is a Dr. an expert on weight loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/26163-dr-expert-weight-loss.html)

WeighToGo 03-30-2003 11:01 AM

Is a Dr. an expert on weight loss?

Just a random thought here-I do not put very much stock in what most Dr. say regarding nutrition/weight loss. If you have a Dr. who is very well-versed in this area, consider yourself extremely fortunate. I hear so many people refer to their Dr. endorsing a product or plan as healthy, and it bothers me. As far as I know, they get very little education in medical school about this whole area. Some people just assume that they must be experts regarding this because they went to medical school. If I really wanted reliable information on nutrition and weight loss, I would check with a Registered Dietician.

Ruthxxx 03-30-2003 02:18 PM

Good point. We should also remember that not every doctor graduated in the top 10 percent of his/her class. Some of them are smarter than others!

loranden 03-30-2003 10:26 PM

To be honest...

I would put more merit into what a certified nutritionist had to say than a physician.

And why do they insist on weighing you at a visit--even for a broken finger :lol: Never could figure that one out!

Misti in Seattle 04-01-2003 08:29 AM

Well I DO trust my doctor, but I wouldn't trust just ANY doctor; happen to have found one I have great confidence in. And she doesn't even weigh me. :lol:

And in my case my previous doctor didn't even KNOW specifically what I was doing... he just saw the results in my weight loss and bloodwork -- was so excited he put a voice mail on my phone on Saturday saying ALL my results were "perfect" and "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it." :lol: Unfortunately I didn't keep doing it and am now paying the price... but I am doing it again!!!

But I think it depends on what we are doing... in my case it is 99% "eat healthful foods and exercise" --- which I KNOW is right! I would class my supplement as the "other 1%" which helps me do the 99%. :cb:

Also I have found in the past that no matter WHAT I eat or do to lose weight, there are always people who step up to tell me I am doing it wrong or to recommend another "plan" etc. But it is hard for them to "argue" when they see the results. :lol: And right now I am THRILLED with what I see and feel happening in my body... and I AM glad my doctor agrees!

Great idea too to check with a nutritionist... but I think that the vast majority of people do neither... just go off on their own "diet plan" or the many fad diets that are always around, or a magic pill.

Sue

Misti in Seattle 04-02-2003 12:20 AM

Well after thinking about this, just a "random thought" from me. :lol: But personally I think it is quite "dangerous" of you to come to an Internet site and encourage people NOT to listen to their doctors. But then I am not in charge of the forum. :dance:

Sue

MrsJim 04-02-2003 09:31 AM

Sue - I must agree with you. It is absolutely imperative to have a doctor you can trust - I've been seeing mine for over 15 years (so he has known me at my heaviest).

Also, remember that many doctors specialize in certain fields - nutrition might not be one of them. It amazes me how many diet books written by doctors and diet products hawked over the Internet, infomercials, etc. that are endorsed by Dr. Someone or Other...well, if you look at their credentials (easy enough to do with a little research!) their field of medicine has NOTHING to do with nutrition. Oftimes they do not even have an MD credential!

Given that, many medical schools (Stanford for example) have been beefing up their nutrition courses over the past decade or so...keeping up with the growing obesity epidemic.

Just my two cents...It's true there are some crappy doctors out there, but there are many, many excellent ones as well!

Misti in Seattle 04-03-2003 08:32 AM

Thanks Mrs. Jim

One thing which I always find a bit humorous... when I am messing up and eating burgers and fries, etc., no one ever criticizes. BUT when I get on a healthful plan and am exercising, etc. I always find plenty of people who tell me what I am doing wrong. :lol: But I don't worry about it... my plan WORKS for me and is approved by my doctor; that's good enough! :cb:

Sue

rochemist 04-04-2003 01:49 PM

Yeah I really think Mrs. Jim and Sue have a good point it really depends on the Dr. and finding one you can trust. The one before my current Dr. sent me to a nutrionist when I talked to him about the fact I was so fat. Well he was and the nutrionist were some of the most unhelpful people I have met. The jist was it's all my fault I am fat and I should change it. Okay great. Thanks for the info.

My current Dr. listenend to my concerns and asked me about how I eat. Two things stood out I have terrible PMS and a tendency for low grade depression. When it would hit I would stand in the refridgerator with a spoon in hand eating right out of it. So he gave me an anti-depressant. Guess what? No more binges. The PMS is alot less. I did have one really low miserable day right before my period this time, but I didn't get angry so that was a plus. He listened to more than I am just fat and I thank goodness for that.

Miss Chris

Ellen 04-06-2003 04:18 PM

Amen to getting a doctor you can trust! If you think your doctor doesn't know what he or she is talking about, find one you can trust! I had one who never commented about my weight, cause he was huge himself! :) My husband called his office McMedicine. I changed to a different doctor, who is a wiry Jewish guy, who bounces around like a Tigger. I love him! He keeps on top of everything, knows about thyroid issues, Syndrome X, PCOS...its great!

And as for them weighing you...well, if they need to prescribe medication, it often times helps to know your weight to calculate how much you need. Think of it as accountability! :D

I am skeptical of nutritionalists, and dieticians. They are still slamming Atkins, and low carb diets as dangerous. I have read enough research on my own to know that that is not true. I think again, you have to find the good ones.....

Just my humble opinion...

Misti in Seattle 04-23-2003 08:29 AM

Hi Monet

I just love my new doctor I found last year after moving cross country! She is fun and very casual... doesn't look at ALL like the "image" of a doctor!! Just comes in and makes you feel as if you are chatting with a friend... but very efficient!! And was highly recommended to me. It does help to have a doctor you trust!

Sue

BetsyBG 04-26-2003 02:14 PM

Most North American doctors currently in practice were not required to take ANY nutrition electives, nor any courses related to obesity, weight, or weight loss. The curriculum touches on nutrition only very, very briefly. Only those with a personal interest in the subject (and there are some) are any more knowledgeable on the subject than the average person on the street.

That said, a *good* doctor knows his limitations, will do research for his/her patients, and will refer to a registered dietician (a better bet than a nutritionist in many cases, because in many states, almost anyone can call him/herself a nutritionist) when out of his league.

Unfortunately, idiot doctors are still abundant--the ones who tell people they're obese when they're not, the ones who give very, very poor advice, etc.

The trick is finding one of the former.

Rube 05-19-2003 04:57 AM

I agree, there are some terrible incompetent drs around and you're very lucky if you find one who knows what they're talking about, especially when it comes to something like weight loss. You know with weight loss everyone has different needs and circumstances and reasons for dieting or not dieting. I wonder if this is why the internet health sites got so popular. R