The Diet Cure

• A friend recommended the book called The Diet Cure. Basically it is to eat a balanced diet and exercise but to also supplement your diet with supplements. I realize a person should be able to lose with just eating a balanced diet and exercise but for some it isn't so easy. The book mentions a lack of amino acids and such in our bodies. You are supposed to take the supplements and then start going off...you don't take them forever.

Has anyone tried the supplements recommended in The Diet Cure. I would be interested to find out if anyone has had any success.

Thanks,

Marie
  • I have not actually read the book but I visited the book's website - and I must say that a MAJOR red light popped up for me when I saw that the site is peddling these supplements that she apparently promotes in the book - and at a rather high price from the looks of it.

Since I lift weights, I do take amino acids - glutamine and creatine...but not religiously.

My advice - check the book out of the library if you can (I notice that there's a copy at Amazon for less than $2 if your library doesn't have it). Read it and then decide - I would also recommend discussing with your doctor since apparently LOTS of supplements are involved here and it is possible to overdose or have adverse reactions to them...
  • Thanks Mrs. Jim. I did get the book from the library and I was going to try and find some of the supplements but couldn't find them. If they do help somewhat...I don't mind spending a bit but I don't want to spend a fortune and throw my money away.

I appreciate your thoughts on it.

Marie
  • Hey Marie, I agree with MrsJim. You should probably check it out before you buy it. Just a side note, I'm a mother of 1 and lost about 40 pounds from some cheap-o eBook on the web. There are good sources out there. You just have to know which ones work and which ones don't. URL removed by moderator as per forum rules
    I've purchased the book and it's very good. A bit more expensive than the eBook, but still pretty good. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Amanda
  • Thanks Amanda. I think I am just getting so frustrated that I am grasping at straws. I know eating healthy (and less) plus exercise but it is still such a struggle. Thanks for the great website. It looks like there is lots of information there.

Marie
  • Marie, I think it's a struggle for all of us. So you're in good company Could I ask you what all you're trying to do now to lose weight? I've been there and could probably help with almost any question you could throw at me.
  • Hi Amanda, Right now I am trying to count calories plus cut back on (and eventually cut out) sugar. I had lost quite a lot of weight while on a prescription from my doctor and then gained most of it back when I went off. I think the prescription messed my system up. I had cut calories and exercised while on the medication (for weight loss) but once I went off....the weight has come back on no matter what I seem to do....it is a lot harder to come off. I shouldn't have taken the prescription but I did and I am paying for it now.

Marie
  • Good morning all!

Hey Marie! It sounds to me that the problem with the prescription pill is that while on the pill you did lose a lot of weight, but a lot of the weight lossed was muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is. So when you went off the pill you weighed less, but head less muscle, thus your metabolism slowed down drastically. Then you started gaining weight again and I hate to say it, but you'll probably gain more back than when you started taking the pill. I did the exact same thing about a year ago, so don't feel bad. It's an easy fix. All you need to do is spend about 25 minutes, 3 days a week lifting weights to build some muscle to speed your metabolism up. Also, did you know that the more frequently you eat small portions throughout the day the faster your metabolism speeds up? Like you could east every 2-3 hours, and try to cut back on pasta and bread... Anything with carbohydrates since those eventually turn into fat unless you burn them off right away. Try to eat meats and vegetables in small portions. That's basically what I've done and it's worked wonders. 40 pounds lost in 3.5 months and I'm down to 120 now. A good weight for me. Hope this helps!! and it was very nice to meet you.
    Amanda
  • Thanks Amanda. I think I have pretty much stabilized now for the past few months. I have fluctuated by a pound or two but that is it. I do try to cut back on the bread and pasta and eat smaller meals throughout the day. Hopefully soon the weight will start coming off. I will try your suggestion of using weights.
    Congratulations on your weight loss....you have done great.
    It was good to meet you too.
    Take care.

Marie