3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Shakeology?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/247054-shakeology.html)

rose madder 11-14-2011 11:59 AM

Shakeology??

I was wondering if anyone here has actually TRIED ********** (as opposed to being a beachbody coach?). I absolutely love the beachbody videos, but am having trouble justifying spending that much money on them. I really want to try them, but don't want to spend 120$$ on something that doesn't work!!

nelie 11-14-2011 12:21 PM

Define 'work'. They are an overpriced protein shake. I wouldn't use them myself. Although the taste can sometimes leave much to be desired, I prefer hemp protein. Protein powders really meant for convenience and you can lose weight without them. It depends on your goals on why you'd add them to your diet.

flippychick 11-14-2011 01:09 PM

I thought about trying it too, but I decided to go the cheaper route and got GNC Lean Shake 25 ($40?) and have been very satisfied with it so far. I'm using it to keep me honest - meaning break my snacking and at-desk eating.

cb1 11-14-2011 01:56 PM

********** seems overpriced to me... i use whey protein and just blend it with fruits, veggies, some almond or coconut milk..... i dont' think you get anything extra out of ********** that you couldn't get out of a multivitamin....

chilichick 11-27-2011 09:21 AM

I have tried the ********** in Chocolate and Greenberry and found then UNDRINKABLE. they are too thick, have an unnatural sweet taste and have a horrible grassy aftertaste. They may work if you can actually drink them. I couldn't even with some "recipes" to make them more palatable.

superchick36 11-28-2011 02:43 PM

I tried the chocolate one and it wasn't bad. I don't think they are worth the money though.

jmfan317 11-28-2011 03:48 PM

I've never tried them I wouldn't pay that much. I just use whey protein. I use it after wrkouts or as a snack to keep me from wanting to snack throughout the day.

Wimpster 12-03-2011 10:35 AM

I have found the chocolate version of ********** to be very good and tasty. I add a few blueberries and blackberries, sunflower seeds, a splash of coffee and then skim milk. If I want decadent, I add a tablespoon of super crunchy peanut butter! It makes a great meal substitute at about 220 calories (w/o the peanut butter).

It is pricey but very high quality ingredients. BTW, I am not a BeachBody coach or affiliated with them in any way...just like their products!

EmilyLarnder 12-05-2011 09:41 AM

My sister is a TurboFire fanatic. She bought ********** and hated it... She gave it to me, so I'll be trying it soon... I'll definitely report back to here after I try it!!!

EmilyLarnder 12-12-2011 09:46 AM

Hey there. I tried ********** on saturday.
I didn't try it plain however, I mixed it with coffee, milk, and a little bit of liquid Irish Creme coffee creamer. It was delicious!

RHay 12-20-2011 10:40 PM

Can somebody explain to me what exactly ********** is please?

757MISTY 01-02-2012 12:25 PM

I was wondering about ********** also. But I just cant see spending $120 for only a 1 month supply. I wonder if the slimfast shake are the same. Tday I just tried out a new smoothie recipe. It has kale in it (super healthy) mangos, banana, and pear along with some water and ice. Its actually not that bad! I would prefer it to be a little sweeter though so I think next time I'll add a little vanilla extract.

Wimpster 01-02-2012 07:26 PM

Slimfast is the perfect alternative to **********. My wife and I both use from time to time as a meal replacement. I like the chocolate powder and she likes the vanilla pre-mix. And of course, it's much cheaper than **********.

********** does have some additional micronutrients from some exotic fruits and plants that Slimfast doesn't have...adds to the antioxidant and phytochemical benefits but also to the cost.

piegrrl 01-10-2012 01:28 PM

Hi all! I'm new here, and just started ********** 3 days ago. I had to jump in when I read the comparisons to Slimfast. Slimfast is *not* a good alternative to **********, or food for that matter! Slimfast is full of sugar- 34 grams (more than a Hershey bar), and only 10 grams of protein. It's sweetened with Aspartame and something called Acesulfame Potassium(???), and flavored with 'artificial flavors'. Not to mention a lot of other additives...not good for you.

For a cheaper alternative you would be better off with a smoothie made of plain yogurt with fruit, flax seeds, and flavors of your own choosing! At least then you would know what was in it! :)

I don't know if ********** will live up to the hype, but it is very filling and I have used it to replace dinner. I lost 40 lbs this past year with P90X and counting calories on Sparkpeople (free!), and just have that last 25 lbs to go!! I hit a plateau and have been stuck for a couple of months, so thought this would jump-start things again...we'll see!!
Good luck everyone! :carrot:

Wimpster 01-11-2012 01:34 PM

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from re: Slimfast vs. **********.

Reading the nutrition facts for a Slimfast Cappuccino Shake (premixed with skim milk), it shows sugar at 18 grams, protein at 10 grams and total calories at 190.

Looking at the official nutrition label for **********, likewise mixed with skim milk for a fair comparison, show sugar at 21 grams, protein at 26 grams and total calories at 230.

Another comparison is cost:
Slimfast at about $2.50 per serving vs. ********** at about $4.00 per serving

Brooke the awesome 04-15-2012 05:56 PM

Okay, I HAVE to get in on this.

first of all, you can NOT compare slim fast and **********. That's like comparing apples and avocados. Too different to compare. Where slimfast works great for some people, ********** works great for others.

Slim fast does NOT work for me. Within an hour I feel like I'm starving. ********** doesn't do that to me, I actually feel full for at least 3 hours. I tried eating something along with slim fast, and I STILL felt hungry after about 45 minutes to an hour. It doesn't work for me.

I started ********** in january, I was right at 250 lbs. I went to the gym 2-3X a week depending on my schedule and at the end of the month I had lost 15 lbs. I was using the ********** once every 2-3 days and on the days that I took it I felt a physical energy boost, as well as being alert all day long. So as any sensible person would, I used it on the days I went to the gym. :)
In february, I got sick. Really sick. It took me until the third week of march to get well enough to exercise again. I still took my ********** every few days while I was sick simply because I didn't want to fall out of my routine of it. I didn't lose any weight during this time, but I didn't gain any either. I fluctuated between 234 & 237 over the two months.
I finally got back to the gym at the beginning of april! I haven't lost any more weight just yet, but I've only been able to go a whopping 6 times & it's mid month. SO the weight doesn't come of BECAUSE of the shake. But it can give you energy boost and I'd rather drink it than eat a poptart because I'm starving first thing in the morning.

I use the ********** with going to the gym, and good ol Jillian Michaels. I haven't done any of the other beach body stuff, I just can't do it when I'm already spending $120 every other month or so on a shake from them.
I hate the greenberry. I think it tastes just gagtastic. The new tropical kind they have tastes like chalk. The chocolate.....yum! The directions for it is one scoop or packet (I suggest trying the single serving packets if you are interested in it, that way you don't hate the flavor of a full month's supply) to one cup of almond milk. I couldn't drink it that way. It was WAY too thick. So I added another cup of almond milk and it was MUCH better. yummy yummy! But because 220 calories isn't really enough calories to be considered a "meal replacement" I like to add in a banana, a boiled egg, or apple. You get the point. I make it somewhere between 300 and 400 calories. And as I said earlier it keeps me full for 3-4 hours.

And rounding back to the whole slimfast vs. ********** thing...just pick which one works for you. If slimfast works for you, great! But don't put down **********. If you like **********, don't put down the slimfast, and PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD don't cram the whole "It has 50 million ingredients in it that make it awesome for you!" down everyone's throats. I love the stuff and even I think that's trying too hard...okay, I think I'm done now. :)

Wait, I'm not done...I'm NOT a beachbody coach. Okay, NOW I'm done. :)

donkeykick 04-15-2012 07:44 PM

I can't see where Slimfast is a good alternative to ********** either. Sure Slimfast is MUCH cheaper, but it's the ingredients in ********** that I myself am after. MANY of the ingredients are great for diabetes. There's a video on youtube called My Health Matters. After you watch it I'm not sure how you can compare the two.