Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #1  

Default Water Pills / Diuretics

Hi! This is my first post! I stumbled on this forum while researching this topic and I think this seems like a great and supportive community!

A week from today I'm going to do a photo shoot, and I want to lose some bloating before then. So I'm considering taking water pills. I understand that it's to lose water weight and not fat, and I've read some of the other threads on here about the drawbacks of them, but I think they could work for me for this one-time situation.

So my questions are - what types of pills (i.e. brands) have you tried before and how have they worked for you? Also, how long before the first photo should do you think I take the pills for the best effect? Anything else I should know about taking them that can help me get the most out of them? Any other alternatives to water pills that you think could help? (I'm considering getting a colonic)

Since this is my first post, here is a little about me - I'm 32, 5'8" and 158 lbs. I've lost 17 pounds since May doing a combination of switching birth control pills, Medifast, and P90X. I live in Southern California. TIA!
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #2  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

I've heard that cutting back on carbs (especially refined) can minimize bloat- and from some personal experience it helped me. Also, if you're sensitive to dairy, cutting that out for a few days before the shoot could help.

I don't know about water pills. I've never taken them. When I have excess water in my system, I jsut try to drink more water and exercise more. Seems to work pretty well.

Good luck!
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133/116/105

Height: 5'0"

One of my bestfriends takes diuretics (although I couldn't tell you which kind.. I've never taken them) and when she does, she constantly feels weak, tired and dehydrated, and her ears get plugged so she has trouble hearing. On the other hand, they do work for minimizing bloating.

Take a laxative (the tea or pill) can also help along with eating foods low in sodium and high in potassium such as bananas and sweet potatoes. Try not to chew gum or have too much liquid and you will have minimal bloating.
0059500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/205/140

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes I take diurex. That's the blue box with either pink or green writing on it. It helps to reduce bloat (and waist measurement) for as long as you're taking it, but they do tend to make me more tired and weak. I'd start them 2-3 days before your photo shoot, but then stop taking them - they are not a long term solution!! And any weight/inches you might lose will mostly bounce right back.
kurbain is offline   Reply With Quote