3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   What Scale Do You Use? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/237887-what-scale-do-you-use.html)

Belkis2191 07-12-2011 10:07 AM

What Scale Do You Use?

Hey everyone :smug: I'm very far away from my doctor (about a 2 hour ride on the subway) so I don't get to check my weight very often. I decided to buy myself a scale, but it seems like mine acts crazy! I have the Weight Watchers® by Conair Glass Body Analysis Scale model: WW67T, and I always seem to get different numbers... It's extremely annoying, because I don't know what numbers to trust! :dizzy: So, what scales does everyone here use?

iHeartU 07-12-2011 06:25 PM

I use the one at my gym which is a doctor's scale. You know, the kind with the sliding weights. They sometimes have them on Craigslist for about fifty bucks. I hate digital scales, they don't weigh me properly because I'm so big. :/

Belkis2191 07-13-2011 10:51 PM

That's how I feel!! Every other person that steps on that scale, who happens to weigh like 20 pounds less than me, seems to get a set number everytime. But, when I step on, it's toying with me! Anyway, thanks for your reply :)

Btw, have you lost weight or are you planning to?

ghost 07-13-2011 11:16 PM

That's why I don't do digital. I have a dial style scale I bought on amazon. I think it's retro. And it's pretty accurate, I've weighs myself just before going to the Dr and there was about a .25 lbs difference in my weight.

Belkis2191 07-13-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost (Post 3935877)
I have a dial style scale I bought on amazon. I think it's retro. And it's pretty accurate,

Ghost, for some odd reason, everytime I buy a dial scale it ends up defective... Lol maybe scales don't like me :(

jamindi 07-19-2011 09:18 PM

I have the same question! The digital scales I have tried are so unreliable, but having a big doctor's scale isn't going to work in my apartment either!

MissAkward 07-19-2011 11:01 PM

I haven't weighed myself in so long. We tried buying one and it didn't work..I am too big =/ so I am just going by my measurements

trowter 07-19-2011 11:43 PM

I use the one on my Wii Fit. I don't know how truly accurate it is...but it is very consistent. I can weigh myself several times in a row, and I get the same result (or within .2).

As long as it's consistent, it should be fine...

Riemontana 07-19-2011 11:59 PM

My wii fit is very inaccurate but I have carpeting. Friends do well on theirs. I think a non-digital scale is the best. I only weigh one time per month and I go to my dr office. I can't deal with the scale moving around all the time.

Belkis2191 07-20-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissAkward (Post 3945786)
I am just going by my measurements

I like this idea more than using a scale, simply because I'm one of those people trying to lose weight to fit into those jeans ;) so measurements are important to me, yet, I don't have a measuring tape -___-!

fuct 07-25-2011 09:07 PM

I have a WW scale, it seem pretty accurate to me. Since it's the only scale I use and the numbers are going down, it doesn't really matter if the numbers are a *little* off without me knowing it.. If you get me.. haha

chickyboo 07-29-2011 08:40 PM

i dont own a scale either!
i just go by the grocery store scale or i go by a office close by that has a scale and i just ignore the cleaning peaople - walk in after 5 30 and weight myself - so far no one has asked me what i am doing and i have done it 4x in my so far 8 week journey!

2feelbetter 07-29-2011 09:54 PM

I have a digital scale from Wal-Mart it's called a health o meter. I find I like weighing myself frequently ....few times. week..... I like the accountability.

Amarantha2 07-30-2011 04:20 AM

I started thinking my Health-O-Meter digital was inaccurate so I bought a different model Health-O-Meter and it sadi the same thing so guess it is a keeper.

Scales vary, they are just a tool but over time they are a good tool to let us know the trend in our weight.

I also measure once a month to ensure I am not kidding myself by the fact that my clothes fit.

The fit of clothes varies over time and that often has to do with the fact that we stretch them or the temp outside changes and the fibers relax or a zillion things. Measuring lets me know, too, if I am gaining scale weight and gives me an idea if that weight is muscle or fat because if it is muscle, I am leaner and smaller and if not, I am lighter but puffier. The fit of clothes is not a good measure of anything.

BettyBooty 08-09-2011 08:20 AM

I have a digital scale, but I've noticed that the scale at the doctor's office has me at about 2 or 3 lbs. lower than my scale at home. I'm more concerned with seeing the number consistently go down rather than the absolute accuracy of the number itself.

sekc14 12-26-2011 08:38 PM

I used to have 2 homes so, I bought a 2nd scale at Target for $19.99 and it is accurate. I've tested it against my other scale which is a Tanita purchased for around $50-60. Tanita is a good brand of scales. I noticed there is a bath scale at Target online which will weigh 500 lbs or more.

sekc14 12-26-2011 08:42 PM

The $19.99 bath scale from Target is a Taylor. Here's part of a link
Taylor-Electronic-Scale/-/A-11580480

Aluli 01-03-2012 04:01 AM

Digital scale from walmart. Weighed today at the gym without shoes and came right home...same exact weight. So, I concider this reliable! Health-O-Meter brand.

abejune23 01-09-2012 12:16 PM

i got a dial scale from ikea, and i'd say it's rather accurate. i put 6 lb on the scale and it gave me 6 lb. it's also consistent, so i use that.

knoxie 01-14-2012 05:23 AM

I just bought a second one (a Salter digital) because my usual one (a Tanita digital) was acting out a bit. The old one is working fine now and though they both show different numbers (within 2lbs of each other) they both trend in the same direction at the same time, as in if I gain on one I gain on the other and the same with losing.

I weigh in officially once a week at my local pharmacy because it gives me a printout of my weight and I stick those in my diary. The weight I get there is smack in the middle of the two scales I have at home so I guess they're all broadly accurate :)

LAgreeneyes 01-19-2012 12:29 PM

I have a scale but I can barely see the little black notches to determine the weight, so I guess I should buy a digital scale.

RRB2 01-19-2012 04:02 PM

I have a Taylor scale that I purchased online for $15 years ago. (5 years ago maybe)
Everyone in the family uses it and it's pretty consistent. You can not move or even take a deep breath when you're on it, b/c it shows up as error right away.
I'm looking for a different one and that's why I clicked on this thread :)

OnceUponADrive 01-20-2012 05:05 PM

EatSmart Precision scale I got from Amazon for $30. I read tons of scale reviews and it was highly rated. You don't have to tap it on first you just get on it. It is very close to the scale at my Weight Watchers meetings. Extremely accurate and nice looking (glass).

Candeka 01-20-2012 05:31 PM

I believe I either have the same scale as you or one very similar. I find that you must take your socks off, as well as have it in the same spot each time you weigh. Ever since doing this, my numbers have been very accurate.

Crawlil 01-21-2012 07:30 PM

I use the wii fit, it's all I have but I find it to be with in a pound of doctors scales :smug:

panzees36 01-21-2012 11:19 PM

I have the EatSmart precision scale also. Just bought it so I'm not sure how accurate it is. It is supposedly a very good scale.

ichoose2believe 01-23-2012 01:07 PM

I have a WW Scale and I learned that the best thing for me is to weigh in the morning when I wake up on the same day each week. So far the numbers are going down so I am happy.

LAgreeneyes 02-08-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2feelbetter (Post 3963245)
I have a digital scale from Wal-Mart it's called a health o meter. I find I like weighing myself frequently ....few times. week..... I like the accountability.

I just purchased the health-o-meter from Walmart. I stepped on and off the scale 3 times and I got the exact same reading EVERY time (200.8). I love this scale!

einszwei 02-19-2012 11:13 PM

I got a scale at my local store and it is great for measuring weight loss .

PaintedButterfly 02-22-2012 08:03 PM

I have a digital salter scale which I've had for a year now and seems to be really consistent and I'm really pleased with it. It has carpet feet too which also work perfectly and when I use those get the same readings on carpet as on hard floors without them. It doesn't do anything fancy like measure body fat but they are SO unreliable and inaccurate I really would not recommend paying extra to buy one with it or paying any attention to one you have that does show it. They're just so inaccurate.

tessendicott 02-22-2012 08:47 PM

I just bought a glass Health 'O' Meter scale from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Health-o-m...Scale/10264543) and I absolutely love it. We had the cheaper plastic Health 'O' Meter and it was not accurate at all, I tested it last week and a. it's weighing both Mack and I about 3 pounds heavier than we are and b. I stepped on it once and it said 240, to test it I stepped on it again a minute later and it said 241.2 and again it said 243.8. :mad:

The glass scale says the same thing when tested over and over. Plus, Walmart has it on sale for $20.00 online and free ship to store or .97 cents shipping to your address. :D

It's only $25 and it stores information for up to 4 users, so every time I use it, it tells me how much I've lost.
[SIZE="4"]It's AWESOME!:flow2:

Micki k 02-22-2012 09:15 PM

I just bought the EatSmart Precision scale from Amazon. It comes tomorrow! I cant wait. I've been using a decades old dial scale that my husbands parents left behind and it is pretty much toast. It gives me a 10 to 20lb plus or minus difference everyday. I hope I dont fluctuate that much! I love the look of my old retro scale, but it's such a liar I have to give it up.

mary65 02-22-2012 09:35 PM

I use a ww digital but I make sure to place it in the exact same spot every week when I weigh myself- it seems to weigh differently on my wood floor vs my tile floor

Atkins loser STL 02-22-2012 10:03 PM

I use the doctor's type scale at the gym. If I have a scale in the house I will weigh obsessively.

Espressowhip 02-27-2012 06:39 AM

I read (over and over) that the scales that measure water only measure the lower body...I have enormous breasts being overweight...so I didn't think it was very useful/accurate to only measure to the hip.

I've had three digital scales over the past 4 years. The last scale I bought has a higher weight threshold than previous ones, and I found it to be much more accurate, and consistent.

lovemydoggiesx2 02-27-2012 07:28 AM

I have a digital, and I weigh myself until I get the same number 3 times, and that is the one I use!

jomatho 02-27-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnceUponADrive (Post 4181424)
EatSmart Precision scale I got from Amazon for $30. I read tons of scale reviews and it was highly rated. You don't have to tap it on first you just get on it. It is very close to the scale at my Weight Watchers meetings. Extremely accurate and nice looking (glass).

This scale is the best darn scale ever!!!! Same weight no matter how many times or where you step on it, very very accurate! I would highly recommend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When my kitchen scale dies, I will buy their kitchen version, that is how much I love it.

bargoo 02-27-2012 08:05 AM

I have a Taylor Digital Scale , easy to read and weighs to the tenth of a pound. It is accurate, but must be on a hard surface, not carpet. I have had it several years and paid more tha $19.99 for it.