Biotin . . .

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've been doing some research and I think this is something to give a go with the thin hair, brittle nails etc . . . but where do I find it?
    Seriously, am I blind and missing it at EVERY shop I go into? Is it in a multivitamin and im not seeing it on the ingredients?
    Any help from those who take biotin would be appreciated, and being a dumb moment for me . . . . names of product would be appreciated, thanks
  • I use biotin for my hair and nail health. It is one of the B vitamins, and can be found in any store such as Walmart, Walgreens, etc. Just wander through the vitamin aisle and it will be there along with all the other vitamins. It is a separate bottle, though.

The brand I am using currently is Spring Valley, but there are other brands.

Hope this is helpful.
  • I remember a hair stylist told me about this vitamin. So I bought two bottles, took maybe 5 pills out of one, and haven't used it since. Not that it doesn't work, but I'm a horrible pill popper. I found it at Walgreens. If I do ever find those bottles (I think they're in storage) I'll be happy to send them your way.
  • I got mine at Wal-mart too, after hearing rave reviews. There are a couple different strengths, so I got one in the mid range. I took it for about a month, didn't notice anything, so I quit... then about a month later I noticed I was getting all kinds of new little hairs on my head. I was thrilled, but still didn't start taking it again. I don't know, I wasn't connecting the 2...that it might take some time to work. Anyway, I still haven't started taking it again , and it seems the new growth has appeared to have stopped, so I need to start taking it again. But like Aries I am so darn bad about taking pills faithfully. Must go do that right now!
  • Awesome, thanks for the info ladies!!
  • Is anyone using biotin for seborrhoeic dermatitis/eczema? If so, what dose are you taking and how did it work out for you?
  • Biotin is AWESOME, for hair, skin & nails! My hair was always brittle & I was losing a ton of hairs in the shower daily. I buy biotin at walmart its in the vitamin section by other vitamins that start with the letter B, they place vitamins in alphabetical order & they are a cheap under $3 & take it daily. It takes about 3 months to notice results, but my nails are longer and harder and my hair is super healthy & thicker & I only lose a few hairs in the shower & my skin looks nicer too! yeah biotin works wonders, I have been taking it
    daily for 5 years! .
  • Nice to hear it worked well for you, what dose were you taking? Dosages vary enormously with this, and a lot of people report cystic acne as a side effect which I'm concerned about. I'm not really bothered about what it does to my hair and nails, I'm interested in it purely as a treatment for seborrhoeic eczema.

Unfortunately it's not particularly cheap in the UK, where supplements are generally a lot more pricey and there are fewer brands.
  • The tiny pill I take is 1000 mcg, can you shop online?
    Here is what I use..
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Val...50-ct/10324942
  • That is quite ludicrously cheap. I'm in the middle of adding new supplements at the moment so I'm not going to be playing with biotin until they settle down, but I'll bookmark that for later. I couldn't find out whether Walmart delivers internationally.

What exactly happened to your skin? What was your skin like before? I gather that biotin increases sebum production, and I presume that's what's behind the cystic acne so many people report.
  • I've had huge success taking Biotin. I have PCOS & Hypothyroidism. My hair was so thin, and you could see some male pattern balding at the top of my hair.. it was so embarrassing. Anyway a friend of mind recommended Biotin and I started taking it a year ago and now I have a full head of hair! I don't have to worry about the spot anymore.
  • Quote: I've had huge success taking Biotin. I have PCOS & Hypothyroidism. My hair was so thin, and you could see some male pattern balding at the top of my hair.. it was so embarrassing. Anyway a friend of mind recommended Biotin and I started taking it a year ago and now I have a full head of hair! I don't have to worry about the spot anymore.
    This sounds like my hair! I think I'll have to give this a try! I also recall a hairdresser I once worked with telling me that I could take a prenatal vitamin too, but I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. Anyone heard of that?
  • Biotin is the main hair-related vitamin that you get in large quantities in prenatal vitamins, as far as I know.
  • I get mine at Target for around $6.
  • To people who have used biotin and found that it affected their skin (not interested in hair or nails) in a noticeable way, how long did it take for it to be noticeable? I'm starting at 300mcg and planning to raise it gradually (really don't want cystic acne, or to end up taking a larger dose than needed), but I don't know how long to stay on each dose before raising it. Two weeks?