Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/177/125

Height: 5'5"

Question Body cleansing?

I've recently started eating healthier and exercising moderately every day. My fiber and water intake has increased tremendously. But I still feel very sluggish. Do colon cleanses really work? I've heard some people say there can be ten pounds of waste in your colon. I've heard others say your body cleanses itself. Which is true? Would I benefit from a colon cleanse to give my body a kickstart? Or how long will I have to wait before my body begins to function normally on it's own? Thanks for any imput.
KrazyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I file colon cleanses under anything that claims to "detoxify" my body.

A healthy body cleans itself out, it is not toxic. If I were toxic, I'd be glowing green... or have some SERIOUS "backed up" issues and be needing to see a doctor anyways.

When you say "sluggish" is that code for constipated? Water, fiber, a healthy amount of fat, exercise... those things all help with "going". Dairy is occasionally a problem for some people when it comes to bowel movements, so they may need to be avoided or moderated. Occasionally, a very mild stool softener or laxative may be used, but if you're having problems for more than two weeks then it's time to see the doctor.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #3  

I don't eat dairy very often, just a tiny little bit of cheese once or twice a week. I have seen a doctor, but the doctors in my hometown are all incompetent. I've been to all 4 of them several times and both of the nurse practitioners. I've only gotten "drink more water" (I drink 1 gal. per day!) or take more fiber (I take supplements, plus eat whole grain foods). They have only ever given me laxatives. They never do any tests or find out the root of the problem and they are extremely prescription-happy. My visits are in-and-out in five or ten minutes, prescription in hand. No matter how much I try to talk to them and tell them what's going on. They don't even give a short run-down on side-effects. Unless I'm dying, I refuse to go to the doctor. They have only harmed my health, never helped it.

Last edited by KrazyKitten; 06-20-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

You know, we get an awful lot of posts in here about constipation. I read somewhere that it's common with dieting and I'm starting to think that's true. One theory I've heard is that you just have less passing through your intestinal tract because you're eating less.

When you say fibre supplements, do you mean the sort in capsules? My neighbour takes those, and the quantity looks far too small to be useful to me. Personally I'm taking 2 tablespoons of linseed per day (very well known treatment), and since I'm still having slight problems I've just started adding the practice of drinking hot water with lemon juice first thing in the morning, so I'll see how that goes. Doubling the linseed would probably work too, but I'm rather broke at the moment. I suppose I should hunt down a good bargain.

Mods, is there any chance we could have a constipation thread made a sticky in one of the forums? It turns up so often, after all.

Last edited by Esofia; 06-20-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think I'm lucky in that I don't think I've ever had constipation. Fruits and veggies are the best thing to help you get things moving and sometimes fiber supplements can cause constipation.

You might try some tricks like warm lemon water in the morning or eating prunes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #6  
PT & Nutritionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKitten View Post
I've recently started eating healthier and exercising moderately every day. My fiber and water intake has increased tremendously. But I still feel very sluggish. Do colon cleanses really work? I've heard some people say there can be ten pounds of waste in your colon. I've heard others say your body cleanses itself. Which is true? Would I benefit from a colon cleanse to give my body a kickstart? Or how long will I have to wait before my body begins to function normally on it's own? Thanks for any imput.
Hello KrazyKitten,

When you say recently, how recently? Unfortunately it will take a little time for the effects of a more healthier lifestyle to become apparent. The other posts are correct, too much fibre can be detremental and it also depends on whether you're getting a good balance of Soluble and In-soluble fibre, do a little search on the net to find out more about that, just make sure the source is reliable.

In my opinion colon cleansing is a bit invasive but that's just my opinion, I would give your new lifestyle a chance to work first before thinking about colon cleansing. Also, if you're doctor won't do anything for you, why not look up a local nutritional advisor, they will be able to determine where the problem is.

All I can say is that if you continue with your healthier lifestyle you will notice the changes, it is frustrating when it doesn't happen faster but it will happen, you just have to percevere

Craig
TotalFitPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalFitPT View Post
Hello KrazyKitten,

When you say recently, how recently?
I've been taking the fiber supplements (capsules) since I was 11 (I'm almost 23 now), I switched to ground flax seed and whole grains for about a year. But I've only increased my fruits and veggies and cut out ALL processed foods for a week or so. So, I will try the hot water with lemon and the linseed and see if that helps at all. I'd eat prunes, but I can't stand the taste or texture. I will also stop taking the capsules. That kind of irks me that those were what I've been told to use this whole time, and they can make things worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalFitPT View Post
Also, if you're doctor won't do anything for you, why not look up a local nutritional advisor, they will be able to determine where the problem is.
The closest nutritional advisor is 5 hours away. I don't have the means to get there, so I will just wait for all the fruits and veggies to start working. Thanks for the info everybody!

Last edited by KrazyKitten; 06-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #8  

Linseed is another name for flaxseed, by the way. I think the usual method is to swallow the seeds whole. Try 2 tablespoons, followed by two glasses of water. The water is crucial, otherwise it can have the opposite effect.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #9  
Just Me

I've heard if you eat flaxseeds whole then they won't break down in the digestive system and they'll just pass out whole so that is why you are supposed to grind them.

If you've been taking fiber capsules for 12 years, then they might be part of the problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #10  

They're not meant to break down in the digestive system, they're meant to swell and thus add bulk, and they develop a mucilaginous coating which provides lubrication. Ground linseeds presumably work in the same way, but don't stay fresh for as long, plus they have a more pronounced flavour which not everyone likes. But I think either will do absolutely fine. The ground ones are probably better if you're relying on them as a source of essential fatty acids, although the Omega 3 fats from flaxseed are not meant to be very well processed by the body so that's worth researching further.

I think dates are meant to be almost as good as prunes, though with both you should keep an eye on the sugar levels. Oats can be good as well.

I find the idea of taking fibre capsules since childhood a bit of a red flag as well, suggesting a long-term gastro-intestinal problem that should be properly addressed by a doctor.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #11  
Just Me

I do chia seeds sometimes. When I did flax seeds, I ground them myself in a coffee grinder.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #12  
I know I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKitten View Post
Flaxseed oil might help.
Watkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #13  

I recommend taking vitamin C, magnesium citrate, and probiotics. You can also find different types of probiotics in yogurt, though how many actually survive to reach your colon is disputed.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

I drink Dieter's tea every once in a while to flush out my system. If you do something like that you need to make sure you drink extra water to compensate for additional fluid loss.

I've read several articles about adverse effects from drinking it, but I've never personally experienced any that were unintended. Moderation in all things.
LemonZest is offline   Reply With Quote