Going to the Doc today.....

• I have an appointment for 3:30 to meet with a doctor about meds for weight loss today...I wanted to ask you guys wich RX meds worked best for you? I'm already going to ask about the phentermine but is there others that may be better? wich should I avoid?
  • awe come on! input? You know you have some!
  • hopefully my response gets the ball rolling for you! Unfortunately, i dont have alot of experience with rx diet pills. I was prescribed Phentermine a few years ago and it REALLY worked. But then I gained it all back when I stopped taking it. I usually have fairly normal blood pressure (usually even low) and it raised it over the course of several months, which i know is a common side effect. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • I do not take weight loss drugs. Years ago I was prescribed Redux by a doctor , it was later taken off the market as it could cause serious and sometmes fatal side effects, heart valve problems being one of them.I play it safe now and stick to diet and exercise, no drugs.Redux was a prescription drug but I was able to get my money back from the pharmacy even though I had used quite a bit of it. The pharmacy didn't balk at returning money as it was found to be so dangerous.
  • I'm not very worried about side effects, I have a pretty hardy body and healthy blood pressure and such. Plus being an ex drug addict my body has had way worse things in it than diet pills lol

honestly, I'm just looking for something to help me lose my first 40 lbs so I can do cardio. I have bad hips and knees so I have to be careful and i'm pretty limited. I basically do yoga right now, but I remember losing my first 50 lbs how much easier exercising was! I just think its amazing there's RX weightloss drugs and ive never considered it before. I'm pretty stoked to see how it works out
  • I took phentermine before, and I loved it. Lost alot of weight fast. It made me full of energy and more prone to sweat...it is an appetite suppressant but lots of people get a big energy boost from it too. It is unknown whether it actually boosts metabolism. I've read studies that said yes and others that said it was impossible.

Unfortunately alot of people gain the weight back. I don't think it has anything to do with ruining your metabolism...it is just so easy while you're on it to not think about food. It even felt funny in my mouth and stomach when I'd make myself eat. When you stop taking it and you don't have that crutch anymore, you're on your own and it's easy to fall back into the habits you had prior to taking it.

It's been prescribed in the US for a LONG time (around 40 years if I remember right), and has a decent track record for such an old med. No surprises, I hate taking ANY newer meds only to see one of those class action suit commercials 5 years down the road about how many people have died from it.

I haven't taken anything else, but phentermine worked for me. I'd use it again. Just be mindful that most docs will only prescribe for 3 months at a time, not because of a danger but you build a tolerance and it tends to stop working if you don't take a break. And when you quit I'd advise having a plan in place to help keep you accountable so you can keep it off.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes
  • Thanks Yeah I'm sure a lot of the reason why people gain it back is just that, they go back to old eating habits. I'm pretty brainwashed to eat like a bird so i'm not too worried about it. I'll tell you how it goes when I get home
  • went and got my phen! starting tomorrow. He gave me a months worth. I'm very excited
  • Quote: went and got my phen! starting tomorrow. He gave me a months worth. I'm very excited
    Hey congrats! Keep us posted.

None of the dietitians prescribe it where I live & I'm dying to get them. I went to amazon & phentermine's website for getting it online, but a lot of reviews said they didn't get the authentic tablets. Phentermine's website redirects to rx wholesale.net.

Anyone know where to get the actual tablets online? Thanks
  • I wasn't planning on posting, but you asked for input. NO PILLS is the best way to go, long history of so called "safe" pills hit the market, then three years later lots of evidence of the harm they cause. Plus, I don't believe in "fixes" that don't involve growth/change/effort. Best of luck!
  • I'm a bit concerned that you are diving straight into diet pills, mention that you're a former drug addict, and that you're already "brainwashed" into eating like a bird. Safe, long-lasting weight loss is primarily about changing your eating habits to something healthy, eating the right amount of food (as opposed to alternating bingeing with starving), and taking on an eating plan that you can live with for the rest of your life. This is difficult for any of us, and is particularly difficult for people battling with eating disorders, addictions or other mental health problems. Are you doing OK, hon?

I hear you on the exercise difficulty thing, I have a medical condition (severe ME/CFIDS) which not only makes it pretty much impossible to exercise, but tends to mess up your metabolism and such to cause substantial weight gain. You'll be pleased to hear that I've been losing weight steadily for over two months now, at a nice safe rate of a pound a week, and am absolutely delighted with my progress. I'm a quarter of the way towards goal and today one of my support workers was telling me that she can really see the difference in me. My exercise plan is laughable to anyone healthy, though: on a good day I'm managing a total of five minutes! I'm doing it more to try to rehabilitate my muscles etc. rather than to burn large amounts of calories. It's great that you're doing yoga despite the knee problems.
  • Quote: I'm a bit concerned that you are diving straight into diet pills, mention that you're a former drug addict, and that you're already "brainwashed" into eating like a bird. Safe, long-lasting weight loss is primarily about changing your eating habits to something healthy, eating the right amount of food (as opposed to alternating bingeing with starving), and taking on an eating plan that you can live with for the rest of your life. This is difficult for any of us, and is particularly difficult for people battling with eating disorders, addictions or other mental health problems. Are you doing OK, hon?

I hear you on the exercise difficulty thing, I have a medical condition (severe ME/CFIDS) which not only makes it pretty much impossible to exercise, but tends to mess up your metabolism and such to cause substantial weight gain. You'll be pleased to hear that I've been losing weight steadily for over two months now, at a nice safe rate of a pound a week, and am absolutely delighted with my progress. I'm a quarter of the way towards goal and today one of my support workers was telling me that she can really see the difference in me. My exercise plan is laughable to anyone healthy, though: on a good day I'm managing a total of five minutes! I'm doing it more to try to rehabilitate my muscles etc. rather than to burn large amounts of calories. It's great that you're doing yoga despite the knee problems.
    I know you mean well, but for future reference don't assume disorders and diseases are mental health problems. Drug addiction is definitely considered a disease.

But yes, I see where your coming from, its very risky for me to be using any RX drugs. But there are precautions I take, I take my medication normally, never taking more than prescribed, my doctor keeps me on a tight leash, and I attend NA meetings daily.

I did research on this drug after taking it I felt a dopamine release and worried a little. the half and half mixture is basically half "medical grade meth" and the other half is for appetite suppressing/stabilizing. So for anyone wanting to try this, all it is is prescribed methamphetamine. That is the reason why some states dont support it. Thats also why it wears off. Because your tolerance for the amphetamine raises.

I know the risks, but Ive been on it for two days now and it's fine. Yes, I was a drug addict, but I was a heroin addict, stimulants are annoying and unenjoyable to me. But users on phen beware, you may not be an addict, but it's a trade easily learned.

Anyway! good news though, since I started dieting about a week ago I have lost 6 pounds. I eat high fiber cereal in the morning, bananna at around 10AM, salad for lunch, and a small portion of whatever I want for dinner at around 6:00pm. My clothes already are fitting better, and I'm stoked for the future
  • Well, a mental illness is a disease, and having just double-checked, both eating disorders and addictions are classified as mental illnesses, and like other mental illnesses will involve brain chemistry. I gather that it's not entirely uncontroversial as a classification in the case of addiction, though, so thank you for pointing that out. The overlapping areas between physical and mental illness can sometimes be distinctly fuzzy, especially since some element of both is often present (e.g. depression causing physical fatigue, chronic pain having a high rate of secondary depression), and will of course manifest differently in different people, which complicates it further.

I'm glad to hear that you're taking care and have a good doctor. Out of curiosity, what amount of weight per week are you hoping to lose in the long term?
  • long term about 2-4 pounds a week. I'm young so luckily losing weight happens pretty quickly as long as I stick to my plan. I went off my diet plan about a month ago when I started moving into a new house. Durring the in-between stages I couldnt cook so I ate out a lot, plus my boyfriend practically lives off of the WORST foods ever for a diet and loves to buy me dinner causing me to gain about 20 lbs... but I'm confident I can do this

my goal weight is 180 and when I get there the first thing I'm going to do is go shopping at a normal store, get my hair done, and dress up in some sexy lingerie for my man