Weightloss Books

• I am looking for some recomends for some inspiring stories and a really good long term lifestyle plan book.

If anyone has read "Turn Up the Heat" and found it helpful I would like to know.

The more menus included the better. For now I need the weight gone, and not thinking and obsessing about what to put in my mouth the better!

Movin and Losing in 2003!
    Miss Chris
  • The book "Thin for Life" By Ann Fletcher is an awesome book for people losing weight and for people maintaining losses. It shows the stratagies of people who have lost 20 or more lbs and have kept it off for at least 3 years. I find it really useful as a maintainer, but I have heard the same for people who are losing weight as well.

Good Luck on your journey!

Ali
  • One of my all time favorite books has GOT to be "The Fat of the Land: The Obesity Epidemic and How Overweight Americans can Help Themselves" by Michael Fumento. It's a bit outdated - published in 1997 and you know how things change so quickly - but there's still QUITE a lot of relevant information in there.

Check your library or go to Amazon or Half.com - you should be able to find the book quite easily. Just a terrific read. And BTW, Mr. Fumento (whom I have corresponded with in the past - he's a very learned and articulate guy) has a website that is PACKED with great articles on obesity and other matters (if you want a great laugh, read some of the Hate Mail he gets!) at www.fumento.com.

Take care and happy reading
  • I am picking up this read
    I just visited Mr. Fumento's website and I found it very interesting. His hate mail was on the Atkins diet and I had to laugh a bit.

I found the Atkins diet too restrictive. I couldn't stick with it.

I was on Dr. Dean Ornish's plan for 2 years(lost 100 lbs!). And I loved my veggies. But I missed my steak and BBQ and was starving hungry all the time from low fat.

So here I am trying to find the balance and what works with my life!

Making the changes to be thin for Life in 2003!
    Miss Chris
  • Hi,

I just finished reading a pretty awesome book. First let me clarify that I probably own every diet book on the market......let's see, slim down, sommer, marilu, atkins,.......it goes on and on. when I saw this book I didn't want to buy it just because I thought it was another dust collector....but, I was very pleased with this one because it took dieting at a different angle. It's called "What's stopping you from flipping" by Jim Karas. IT's the guy that got Diane Sawyer to lose 26 pounds. It really gets you to look at the "emotional" side of dieting and what stops you from following through etc. He has a good eating plan, and exercise plan--25% aerobic, 75% resistence training. I don't know it's just one of those times when something "clicked"
  • I swore that I would never buy another "diet" book but the one that racerartist talked about sounds like something that I'd be interested in. I think I'll go to the library and see if I can find it or maybe I'll buy it next week when DH get's paid. I know I'm an emotional eater and I've really been trying to learn more about what I do and WHY I do it.

Thanks for the info, ChrissyB
  • Another book I just picked up a couple weeks ago from the library - VERY interesting reading - is "The Quest for Peace, Love and a 24-Inch Waist" by Deborah Low.

This book isn't a diet book per se - but it's great reading for getting your head together about finding joy in a healthy lifestyle, and ultimately that's what we all want, right?

Check out the BFL/Bodybuilding forum under Diet Plans - I've started a new "Articles" thread - and posted an article from Ms. Low there.
  • Couple books that I like:

Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen. It's a cookbook but first few chapters are how she lost weight. Recipes are mostly low fat, not low carb, there are a few recipes that are ok for low carbing. I use it for ideas mostly since i am doing the low carb thing.

Protein Power. It's the book I'm currently reading, its a "low carb" diet plan but it has a lot of good information and explains the scientific reasons for low carbing. I would recommend it for anyone, no matter what diet you are following.

Fat Flush. Slight warning here though, it has a lot of good information, BUT the diet is really hard to follow. Its like a bootcamp diet, if you have nothing else to do in the world and lots of money, then you could follow the diet. I would recommend checking it out from the library though or something. If you are looking for ideas for your diet, then this would be a good book to look at. If you are looking for a diet to follow, I wouldn't recommend it.