3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

$480 mini gastric bypass

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #16

S/C/G: 240/222/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
I'm trying to get why paying 480 bucks for concentrated fiber is preferable to paying fifty or sixty bucks and getting a big wheelbarrow full of high-fiber vegetables and fruit. The fruit and veggies are a cheaper, better-tasting form of getting bulk with few calories, aren't they? Or are these physical fillers different from physically filling low-carb/low-cal vegetables?

I admit that sometimes I throw mixed greens on my plate solely as filler and eat them strictly for that reason instead of because they're just so yum-yum-GOOD, but they still taste better than a powder and give me the opportunity to chew food instead of drinking stuff, which I always find more psychologically satisfying.

480 dollars is two car payments or one third of a mortgage payment or food for a couple of months. Vegetables are a ton cheaper if you're just after bulk and filling fiber.
Unless you are like me and eating fruits and vegis that are mostly water you are hungry again in an hour. I love apples and salads but I can't count on them for a meal. A small snack maybe to tide me over, but that fullness does not last. Apples, celery, cucumbers, lettuce, things like that. I have to bulk my salads up with tomatoes and some sort of protein.

Some people just dont like the taste or texture of some fruits or vegetables.

Some people just cant exercise like others.

We should not judge who chooses to do what. Instead we should support them for trying to change and lose the weight.

Personally, I can't exercise like many (gym, running) because of a spinal condition. I can walk, but it is slow pace. The gym hurts too much. So I stick to walking at my own pace, low impact aerobic and riding my bike.
There are quite a few users on YouTube that are charting their progress. Some lost a lot, some not so much. There are weeks with huge loss, then the following, a gain. Which is pretty normal with many diets.

Just like any diets they work if you follow the plan. This one helping you feel full can help change eating behaviors by training you to eat less.

For someone considering the real gastric bypass, $30,000 and up. Not all insurance covers 100%. For many this is an option to try.

I know a lot of doctors out there will put their patients on an all liquid diet as a last resort before he will sign off on surgery. I have witnessed quite a few family members go through this.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #17

S/C/G: 240/222/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Just a thought ... How do you know they are real videos and not paid advertisements? Paid testimonials are very common now and they look real. Bloggers are paid to promote products. For example, people are hired to model for diet pill success stories and they first photograph the "after" shot while they are still thin, and are paid to gain weight and they post for the "before" shot.

There are websites where you can register to be hired to promote products online. You are given the product for free, and paid for the testimonial. I'm not saying that Roca Labs has done this, and I'm not accusing any person who has posted on youtube of doing this. I'm just pointing out that unfortunately youtube testimonials are just as suspect as testimonials from manufacturer advertisements.

Also please note the quote in my post above. If someone tries this product and it doesn't work for them they are not allowed to post youtube videos saying it doesn't work. They are not allowed to post on forums or blogs that it doesn't work. You will never see a negative comment about this product because they will sue you and they say so in their terms of sale.
People have said "negative" things, they just word it in a way that does not blame the company directly.

You can say "it didnt work for me" (this isnt negative, its just stating a fact) there are actually quite a few of these on the internet) but you can't say "it didnt work for me, its the worst product ever, company sucks" anything derogatory and negative. This is actually pretty common for a lot of companies since there are now more review sites on the internet than ever.

I am a freelance writer and blogger. There are paid bloggers yes, but there are no weight loss companies that pay bloggers. Instead, they give them the product to use and review. The blogger gets the product for free, the weight loss company gets the advertisement.

I know people who have done MediFast and Nutrisystem. I have been told directly that Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers do not endorse bloggers. I personally was a NutriSystem Blogger for 6 months. Wonderslim does not accept bloggers at this time. I know a few people have contacted Roca Labs directly and have had no success.

If you want to try it, go for it. If it works for you, great. If it doesnt, sorry.
But remember, what works for some does not always work for others.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #18

Default Mini Gastric Roca

Thank you, Suzanne 3FC, for posting that excerpt from the company's contract. No wonder we can only find positive results posted. I, for one, will not be purchasing this product and if gag clauses are not illegal for product retailers then they should be.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Jesus is my strength!

S/C/G: 501lbs/240lbs/160lbs

Height: 5'5 1/2

becareful witht he full bar it is very high in carbs and calories- not to mention everyones stomach is a different size so what fills up one person 1/2 way may only fill you up quarter of the way thus adding carbs and calories to a meal that is already high enough in all of them when you eat. Once i read the label i passed.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #20

This is interesting. When I was doing research I didn't come across this forum. I wonder if I would have still ordered if I had.

However, I think the formula is helping me. I have lost 16 lbs so far, which is good. I had issues with controlling my eating habits, like always eating fast food. Now (even though it is still kind of hard) I just drive right by it.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #21

Thanks to all who posted regarding this mini gastric bypass diet. I have already ready about 2 people who were being sued by the company for posting negative comments. It did look too good to be true and the price would be very high for someone on my salary. The advice to eat less and move more sounds like the best.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #22

S/C/G: 184 /ticker/ 150

Height: 5ft 8

If you want to try a similar tack, just buy some glucomannan fiber tablets and take 1 with a big glass of water half an hour before a meal. (3x a day) They are VERY filling as they absorb up to 500 times their weight is liquid.
Made from Konjac root, glucomannan contributes to weight loss by delaying the absorption of glucose from the intestines. Small limited studies have shown glucomannan to be effective in decreasing body weight.

Not expensive at all - I get mine on the internet.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #23

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

I use to heat up a cup of water and put Slim Fast in it and then added lots of Phyillum Husk to it and it worked pretty much the same way. It had the consistency of Cream of Wheat so I ate it with a spoon and was so full and not hungry the rest of the day.

July Weight Loss Challenge

July Exercise Challenge

http://sallypineapple.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #24

S/C/G: 190/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning! This is my first post to this forum, but I felt I need to share my experience with Roca Labs.
Some back ground on me. I have been actively working to lose weight for over 4 months now, with only a two pound loss. I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day, I have always drunk 90 to 100+ oz. of water daily, so that requirement was easy. I haven't has a soda since 12/2010. I exercise 3 to 4 times a week.
I read all the stuff and watched the videos about roca and thought that maybe my ticket. I wanted to avoid the stimulants advertised else where. I took their survey and agreed I thought fat was ugly and I wanted to be thin and successful. I was really excited to start this, they posted results are immediate. The taste wasn't great but doable. After two weeks with only a one pound loss, which was on track to what I was doing before, I posted a request for help on their Facebook page. In my request I told them my background as I stated before to you. I said I really believed this product could work to control over eating, and could they give me some tips on how to tweak this product to work for someone who doesn't overeat. I was told this product would only, only, only (yes they used three onlys) would work if I was committed to losing weight and to contact their help desk by email. I thanked them then made a suggestion that they respond in the future with a more supportive statement, that questioning my commitment level was slightly offense,when I asked for help in a positive manor.
The response I got back was a 5 paragraph essay about how they will not "pet me" as I obviously need. They feel shame and a militaryesch motivation style where fat is ugly and I need to be told I'm fat to my face and all the people in my life who didn't tell me to my face I'm fat must not care about me. Also that if I don't view fat and myself as ugly I should give up hope.
They do not reward failure they reward success by giving a portion of the purchase price back to those who tell others about their success. Everyone please reread that last statement again.
My only response was: "I don't want my money back, I still believe this product can work. I just wanted help in a pleasant manor. I understand now. Thank you."
They went back and forth with several people after that in replys as you can imagine. They eventually removed the post from their page. But several people took screen shots and have continued to let people know of their abusive response to me.
I have never said their product does not work. I believe it might. But don't ask for help.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #25

Oprah Winfrey once said that if there was a company that sold a product that really worked (she wasn't including surgery) she would buy the company outright. When she does that I'll order what they're selling.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #26

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

My coworker bought this product but couldn't choke down the liquid without gagging. She offered to sell it to me on the cheap to regain some of the money she'd lost on it. I will say it did work as far as leaving me feeling full. I could eat a cup of yogurt then work an 8+ hour day without thinking of food, though I did drink water constantly.

That being said, I would not personally pay anywhere near what they are asking for it...Most of it is still sitting up in my cabinet a year later, unused. After the novelty wore off I got sick of chugging lumpy water every morning and gave up on it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
Back in the game for good

S/C/G: 283/255/246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanJewess View Post
Oprah Winfrey once said that if there was a company that sold a product that really worked (she wasn't including surgery) she would buy the company outright. When she does that I'll order what they're selling.
I say this all of the time!!! When Oprah finally endorsed a weight loss product, I'm stocking up!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
Back in the game for good

S/C/G: 283/255/246

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
If you want to try a similar tack, just buy some glucomannan fiber tablets and take 1 with a big glass of water half an hour before a meal. (3x a day) They are VERY filling as they absorb up to 500 times their weight is liquid.
Made from Konjac root, glucomannan contributes to weight loss by delaying the absorption of glucose from the intestines. Small limited studies have shown glucomannan to be effective in decreasing body weight.

Not expensive at all - I get mine on the internet.
Yes I have tried this and found this to be true as well.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #29

I would never use these kind of products, i'd change habits first before resulting to these
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW:205.8/195.4/175

Height: 5'9" Apple Shape

And people think MY eating plan is weird.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.