Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Exclamation What Happens When You Leave Amazon Feedback Saying Hoodia Doesn't Work:

Dear 3FC:

A couple of months ago, in a particularly self-loathing-but-also-unmotivated stage, I ordered a bottle of hoodia pills from a seller on Amazon marketplace. I realized I was taken in within days. When I got the email to leave feedback, of course I said what we know to be true in 100 characters or less: that the plant hadn't been synthesized into the pills, that the whole thing was false advertising.

I just woke up to this email -- yes, on a holiday weekend -- and am posting it more in shock than anything else. I'm not afraid, and I've already replied to the effect of: "My lawyer and I welcome you to bring it on."

Quote:
We are sorry that you are not happy with your product and can return for a refund.

Your comment about our product is not correct.

Please delete the feedback or we will take legal action against you which will be a lawsuit to collect for damages, legal fees, and other reasonable expenses. Legal settlement can include a lien on your assets, payroll garnishment, retirement funds garnishment as needed to provide restitution.

If you force us to start legal action against you then we will not stop and we will not settle out of court with you but will go the full extent of the law.

Please do not force us into this action because we do not wish to do this.
Wow.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #2  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Wow.

I would take that to a lawyer and at least consult someone and see if they can actually do that. I mean, that's ridiculous for them to threaten someone's opinion. Especially in the form of a review on a product!!! If you can't leave your opinion in a review, then what the **** is the point of the review?!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #3  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I second the "Wow."

I've heard stories of negative reviews "disappearing" for random products before, but never threats of legal action - crazy! Just out of curiosity, was the email from Amazon or the marketplace seller? If it was a specific seller, I'd make sure to add a negative review to their storefront as well~
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I have a law degree and when I leave negative feedback for anything, I start the comment with, "The following review is 100% my personal opinion."

This is not legal advice to you, since I can't ethically give that on a Forum, but it's what I do.

It would cost a company at least 10K to launch a defamation case against someone, so it is not something that I personally get too worried about. It's easy to write a letter threatening to sue someone. Successfully bringing a civil lawsuit is much more difficult.

In my personal, non-legal opinion, your reply was sufficient.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #5  
it's always something

Can you edit feedback? If so, maybe you could include that the seller threatened legal action for negative feedback.

Unfortunately most amazon buyers don't read the seller feedback before purchasing, and assume Amazon approves the seller so it must be fine to order from them. They don't know there's a problem unless we alert them.

You can call Amazon customer service at 1(800) 201-7575 and ask how to report a seller for threatening you via email.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #6  
it's always something

Oh something else just dawned on me.

Seller feedback is to report how well the seller responded to your order. Was it shipped promptly, arrive in good condition, etc. How well did they respond to any concerns. It's not for commenting on the product itself.

Product feedback is for commenting on the product itself.

I personally get frustrated reading product reviews and finding negative reviews of sellers, because its not the manufacturers fault if a certain retailer doesn't do their job well. Customers can turn an excellent 5 star product into a lower star product and hurt their reputation. Also product feedback on the seller's page doesn't help me determine if I can trust the seller with my order.

So Amazon may take this into consideration if you contact them about the issue. I'm guessing that the seller is not the manufacturer in this case.

You could consider deleting the feedback, and asking the seller for a full refund. Leave the negative product feedback on the Amazon page where it was sold, as product feedback. There will be other sellers for the same product, so potential customers will know that the product itself is faulty no matter who they buy it from. But I personally would still give the seller negative feedback for threatening to sue for negative feedback.

Last edited by Suzanne 3FC; 02-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=537774
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I'm guessing you left feedback for the seller - not the product. I ALWAYS read feedback on an item before I purchese it - I even go to AMazon to read customer reviews before I purchase a product elsewhere. There are THOUSANDS of bad reveiws on Amazon - some for Hoodia products - so I can only assume you left feedback on the seller. I would definately contact AMazon directly to ask how to handle the situation.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #9  
Corporette diet

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

The product was sold by the manufacturer, so I left feedback as prompted and included my complaint. I consider misrepresentation to be a fault of the seller as well as the object.

But in any case, I reposted my complaint about the product on the product page with that email quoted in it -- if you have an Amazon account and would like to vote my review up so it is read (over all the fake ones commissioned by the company), I would appreciate it.

I also got in touch with Amazon and they said they've forwarded it to an internal investigations team but won't tell me the answer. So who knows what will happen -- I'm not super optimistic.

I vacillated and ended up deleting the feedback as requested in order to spare myself any legal grief, but also to screw the knife in a little bit: it's a big "F you" that, yes, I'll do what they say, but only by making it SO much worse.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisy View Post
But in any case, I reposted my complaint about the product on the product page with that email quoted in it -- if you have an Amazon account and would like to vote my review up so it is read (over all the fake ones commissioned by the company), I would appreciate it.
Consider it done! What such bull, seriously.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I voted for your review. Just plain sad on the company's part.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #12  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Voted it up, too. What freakin' bullies!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/233/173

Height: 5'4"

I voted for your review too. If the seller does not want honest feedback, they should not be selling on Amazon.
osaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #14  
Corporette diet

Wow, I have a 19/46 helpful rating already. I can't see how my review is unhelpful, even if people choose to buy the product. Clearly, all those stories about companies buying reviews are true... the wool is certainly gone from my eyes on that issue.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #15  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisy View Post
Wow, I have a 19/46 helpful rating already. I can't see how my review is unhelpful, even if people choose to buy the product. Clearly, all those stories about companies buying reviews are true... the wool is certainly gone from my eyes on that issue.
Wow...I mean I figured plenty of the Marketplace sellers would manufacture high reviews, but this is the first time it occurred to me that they would "vote down" helpful, negative reviews. I may have to sort through reviews to find the so-called "least helpful" first from now on. Seems like that might be where the real reviews end up ~
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote