How overweight do you have to be?

• To get put on weight loss medicine from the dr like phetermine or however you spell it.
  • Your doctor's the one to ask. I'm not sure there is a set weight at which you get put on medications, so your physician would have to be the one to work with you and decide what's right for your health.

Prescription medications of any kind are nothing to be taken lightly. Responsible doctors won't casually dispense prescriptions for weight loss medications because these medications can have some serious side effects.
  • Looking at your weight unless you are under 5 feet tall I'd say the doctor most likely won't give them to you. You'd probably have to be severly overweight to be allowed diet pills and even then most doctor's are very wary of it.
  • I've been on weight loss medicatons several times in my life (I was always at least 75 lbs overweight when I was prescribed them), and the side effects can be pretty gruesome, but the biggest problem with them is that they eventually (and rather quickly) stop working.

When the pills stop working, or when you stop taking them, the hunger is back worse than before (that's been my experience, anyway, and that of a lot of people I've talked to in weight loss support groups and online forums).

Some doctors won't prescribe them to anyone. Other doctors have specific guidelines (not always just how much you have to lose, but also whether you have specific health issues).

Personally, I'd advise against them in most cases (I wish I hadn't taken them).
  • You need to talk to your doctor about this however I agree with the above poster that you may not be considered as severely overweight or obese. Best to talk to the professionals.
  • the website for phen said you have to be at least 40 lbs over.
  • It really just depends on the doctor. Years ago when I went to a weight loss clinic, there were alot people who looked (to me) like they didn't have much weight to lose at all, and everybody but one in the room left with a prescription. Maybe they'd already lost alot there and were just continuing, I don't know....but there didn't seem to be a "cutoff" or whatever. The only person that got turned away was a guy whose blood pressure was really high. They checked it multiple times hoping to be able to give him the meds, but in the end they told him to come back another day and try again if it went back to normal levels.

Alot of docs will not prescribe weight loss meds at all, no matter how overweight you are.

If you're going to a clinic you can actually call ahead and ask any questions like this you want, they'll tell you exactly what to expect and what rules for qualification are.