Considering a juice fast? Read this first

• I read this on CNN today. I'll post the link to the full article, and will post an excerpt here in case the CNN article ages off.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2...-a-juice-fast/
    Quote:
    The proponents of juice fasting and other detox diets claim your body needs a "break" from digesting solid food in order to detoxify and help reset some sort of balance. As a GI doctor, I can tell you this is absolutely not true. Our kidneys and liver are responsible for removing toxins, and they do not react well to fasting. So that means your fast could actually prevent your body's natural detox system from doing its job. As for your digestive system needing a rest? False.

But let's be honest: The real reason most people try these extreme fasts is to lose weight fast. While you may knock off a couple of quick pounds on a juice bender, you're just losing water weight so those pounds will come right back. And let me tell you, a few days with less bloat is not worth risking potentially dangerous side effects.
  • I have several fruit trees...mulberry, apricot, pear, apple, wild peach.
    And I have grape vines and berry bushes...and strawberries.
    I make juice from all that fruit and can and freeze gallons of it.
    But I would never go on a juice fast.

Pears are high in an acid that replaces an acid in your brain. What happens to your brain if you consume an excess of it?

The dark berries contain anthocyanins that are protective to your circulatory system. What happens if you drink too much of this?

What happens if you drink too much strawberry juice?

A lot of Commercial juice arrives from overseas. Pesticides and chemicals are sprayed on these fruits. Chemicals that are not allowed in this country. What happens if you take in too many chemicals?

I feel a lot safer just drinking 10 ounces of my juice daily. I use no sprays.
    I feel a balanced diet of proteins, carbohydrates and fats will enable my body to function properly.