Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #1  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 242/Ticker/168

Height: 5'9"

Talking Does CURVES work?

I am thinking of joining Curves but don't know if it will be worth it. I was a member a few years ago and I guess I just wasnt motivated. After working out 6-7 times a week for almost 3 weeks now I think I'm ready....does anyone have any success stories with Curves?
Rtsmme4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I like it. The workout is as good as you make it. I usually go around an extra time, so it's a 45 minute workout instead of a half-hour. If you really work the machines, they will work for you.

For a lot of folks, the challenge is just to keep going to the gym. That's where Curves helps, because there is a large social component. Each location is a little different, but Curves tends to have a chatty culture, especially if you go at regular times and see the same people.

The owners also try to make it fun. There's often some sort of trivia contest, random drawing, food drive, product trials, or some-such happening.

Curves has definitely helped tone my arms and legs. Maybe a gym with serious free weights would get better results, but I have joined gyms in the past and not stuck with it.

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-06-2010 at 04:14 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #3  
Happy Member

I like Curves, too. And Yoyoma's comment about the workout being as good as you make it is right on. If you push yourself and work the machines you will get results. If you attend for the sociability only it won't work as well.

Give it a try, it might just be what you are needing right now.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

My friend gave me a "one month free" certificate for Curves so I tried it out for a month. I liked it alright, but the only time I could go was really early in the morning before my husband left for work. It sucked so I didn't keep it up. Plus I couldn't afford to join at the time.

However, my old boss went to Curves 5x a week for 6 months and had no weight loss benefits from it. She was also doing Weight Watchers at the same time. So she wasn't impressed by it at all.

Your experience may be totally different though!
loriehohlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 242/Ticker/168

Height: 5'9"

Thank you ladies!
Rtsmme4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 179.5/160.5/135

Height: 5'4"

Curves definitely works! I just struggled with the inability to have a change. They rotate the machines but you still go in the same circle. If I could have had someone to visit with consistently while there it would've made it more enjoyable even after the routine got mundane (sp?). I think it's an excellent program and I wish I would've stuck with it!
2b7again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

If you want to work out 6-7 days/week, I'd recommend checking the hours of the one you want to go to. The one I joined just wasn't open at the times that were most convenient for me to work out and would usually close completely on holiday weekends.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm not a big fan of Curves, personally. The workout wasn't enough of a challenge for me and as someone already mentioned, the hours were terrible for me. I was also bored with going around in circles. I'm someone who needs to switch things up once in a while to stay motivated.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #9  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

I went to Curves a few years ago, I did their 30 day trial. I lost 6 pounds and 11 inches. It definitely works. I didn't stick with it, wish I had though, I really liked it. and I too agree with yoyoma
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I liked it and I didn't like it.

I liked that it seemed so easy, but I didn't like having to work out in a circle. I asked them if I could do the circuit three times instead of two and they said they don't suggest I do so so I never did. I started finding it was not enough of a work out for me and now I just like the freedom of going to the gym and doing what I wanna do.

Plus, the women that worked there made it kinda cliquey, they were friendly with some people, but not others, including my grandma. My grandma told one of them off one day so I stopped going. My grandma is kinda hot headed though, haha.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #11  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
I liked it and I didn't like it.

I liked that it seemed so easy, but I didn't like having to work out in a circle. I asked them if I could do the circuit three times instead of two and they said they don't suggest I do so so I never did. I started finding it was not enough of a work out for me and now I just like the freedom of going to the gym and doing what I wanna do.

Plus, the women that worked there made it kinda cliquey, they were friendly with some people, but not others, including my grandma. My grandma told one of them off one day so I stopped going. My grandma is kinda hot headed though, haha.
Stephanie, I did my 3 times around anyway. They said something about over working your body but I would like to think I'd know when I have had enough. And if there weren't that many people there I would go back to the machines that I knew would work the parts I needed most. They were kind of cliquish but I think that is every where. I would definitely go again if I had the funds
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #12  

It might work for some people but not for me. I thought it was a very light workout. I had been hiking and switched to Curves, gained weight, quit Curves and started the hiking again.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote