Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #1  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Experience with Nioxin? Other hair regrowth products?

So I have PCOS, and I'm losing my hair at the top and front of my head. It's so bad that I can clearly see my scalp. I'm 25 and feel like sobbing every time I want to look cute because the hair is just gone. I've alway had fine hair, but even looking at pictures from a few years ago the difference is huge. I've read spotty things about Nioxin working, but haven't really seen much feedback. Has anyone used it with any results? I think it's kind of pricy, so I don't want to waste money. Is there anything else that you've had success with? Thanks!
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you seen a doctor about your hair loss? There are a lot of reasons it can occur.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #3  

Do you have Sally's beauty supple store where you live? THey have a started pack that I used that's generic Nioxin and it worked for me I don't have PCOS but felt my already fine hair was shedding more than usual. It's not a quick fix takes about a month to notice a difference.
luckygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #4  
Do everything in love.

Thanks, Luckygirl. I decided to just buy the Nioxin starter kit last Tuesday because a salon in town had their products 20% off, and I've been using it since. So far the only difference that I've noticed is that my hair looks/feels thicker but probably about the same as other highend volume products I've used. I do like the cooling/tingling sensation, and I'm hoping I'll eventually see results as far as losing less hair and new growth. I'll let others know how it turns out. If I decide to keep using it, I'll definitely look into the generic version too.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/175/145

Height: 5'4

Hi : ) I don't have any reason for my thin hair other than genetics. Its always been thin, but its ridiculously thin in front. To the point I do a "comb over" with my parts.

I've used nioxin, and sally's version. With Nioxin, it did look somewhat thicker. But what I noticed, and as the hairdresser mentioned, there wasn't really new growth. Just a strengthening and thickening of the current strands. With Sally's version, I noticed nothing. However, that was just me. I'm at a loss with what to do myself. I've tried super short cuts to try to hide it, however they require blowdrying to look half way decent and that probably just does more damage. When its longer, its just so limp, and I have to pull it back to hide how thin it is.

My mother has very thin hair, where her scalp is visible all over. I know I'm headed that way too. I just don't know how to stop it.
artsy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #6  
Do everything in love.

Thought I would update. I've been using the Nioxin starter kit for a month, and I have seen improvement in how thick my hair feels and looks. I'm not talking a miracle, but there is a difference. I had my hair cut by my stylist the other day and without ever telling her that I had been using it, she mentioned how much thicker my hair looks and feels. I'm not sure if there is a difference in new hair growth, but I'm happy with it so far and hope it keeps working well.