Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #1  

Default Body Bug?

I'm sure this is in a thread somewhere here, but I can't find anything on it. Has anyone tried a BodyBug? Like they use on Biggest Looser? I'm not really sure how it works or what the benefits are, but I'm intrigued. I believe it helps you track calories consumed and burned and I *think* you also access a website to log info...not really sure. Anybody familiar with this? TIA!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #2  
evolving fitness addict!

S/C/G: 126/118/107

Height: 5'0"

The name of the thread is "Bodybugg/Go Fit users, lets keep on track together 3!" (I can't post the link because I don't have enough posts yet for the system to allow it, I'm sorry)

I use the BodyBugg. It uses multiple sensors to keep track of your calorie burn each day. You use the website to track your goals, progress, and your calories burned and consumed. You log what foods you eat (and with this, you need to be very careful about recording accurate portions, etc), which helps you know whether you are creating enough of a calorie deficit each day. You weigh in and record your weight no more than once a week. The system can then go back and calculate, based on the amount of weight you lost, about how many calories you ACTUALLY consumed each day. Comparing this number of calories with your logged number of calories can help you figure out if you are underestimating your portions, or forgetting to log snacks (if your actual weight lost is less than the amount of weight you "should" have lost, based on your deficit).

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited by Frosted Cupcake; 03-03-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Frosted Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #3  

Yes! Found it, and all the other threads too. Lots of reading to do now, lol. I think this might be just what I need. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183.6/ticker/135

Height: 5'1 3/4

Ah, I've actually never heard of this before. This sounds quite interesting. How exactly does this 'bodybugg' work? Like, is it implanted in your body somehow?
Incage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

No, you just wear it on your upper arm
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #6  
evolving fitness addict!

S/C/G: 126/118/107

Height: 5'0"

Incage, here's a little more info about how the Bodybugg works (from the 24hourfitness website):

"The bodybugg system uses a patented process to measure calorie burn. The process is based on:

Motion: The armband contains an accelerometer that measures motion from multiple perspectives.
Steps: The accelerometer counts steps by measuring the distinct patterns created by running or walking.
Galvanic skin response: When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This measurement helps the device understand how active you are.
Skin temperature: There’s an electronic thermometer inside your armband that monitors how hot you are.
Heat flux: When you move, your muscles produce heat. Your armband measures the heat that’s flowing from your body into the environment.

After you upload data from the bodybugg armband to your computer, you can use the web-based application to see how many calories you’ve burned throughout the day or during specific activities. The bodybugg system will actually calculate your calorie burn per minute."

Do a quick Google search if you'd like to learn more. Hope this helps
Frosted Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #7  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I can say that I have unlocked the key to weight lose with this. I found out that I burn about 25% less calories than what Daily Plate says. I do not love their software like I do Daily Plate but it does show you what is going on with your body.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #8  

I've looked into it quite a bit more since I first posted. I'm sold! It sounds like just what I need right now. I've been up and down with the same 20-30 pounds for too long now and I know it's all a matter of calories in calories out. I just can't seem to get my calories in the right place. I think this would give me the info I need to get the work done. I'm so burned out on the guess work of it.
I just wish these things weren't so expensive. I think the Gowear Fit is the one I'd get but I keep hoping I'll find a sale price or something.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I've been using the GWF for 10 days and I'm down 5.8 lbs in that time period. As you can imagine, I LOVE it! lol! I think I kind of knew my calorie burn was not as high as the calculators were all saying. But I was already eating on the lower side for calories at 1200-1500 so I've used the GWF to help me track my activity more closely and make sure I'm getting enough in to hit that 1000+ calorie deficit. I do exercise daily but this inspires me to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour at work. I try to make sure I burn 100 calories per hour while at work, and when that gets added to my activity at home (I'm fairly active there, keeping up with a very busy 5 year old!) and my exercise, I'm averaging about 1100 as a calorie deficit. I know I was nowhere close to that before, because I wasn't adding all this extra movement into my day.

I bought my GWF from drugstore.com. It's $180 for the armband and 80 for the display watch but they had sent me a 20% off coupon and I got free shipping so I got both for $210. I HIGHLY recommend the display watch - that is how I track my movement during the day and can tell if I'm missing that 100 calories per hour mark that I need to be in the right zone.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I bought the bodybugg and it ended up not working for me. It showed that I was hardly burning any calories with high intensity workouts and it was the same for low intensity just walking. I got frustrated and ended up trying to return it. That was back in October. Since I am not a member at 24 hr. fitness, they still haven't given me my money back for the bugg and for the display. I just wanted to share my negative experience. I"m sure it works for some people ,but for me it didn't. I now use Lose It, an application on my iTouch that helps me track my calories and workouts and that has been very helpful and free.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #11  

Did this cost of $180 also come with a subscription and for how long?

Thanks!,

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
I've been using the GWF for 10 days and I'm down 5.8 lbs in that time period. As you can imagine, I LOVE it! lol! I think I kind of knew my calorie burn was not as high as the calculators were all saying. But I was already eating on the lower side for calories at 1200-1500 so I've used the GWF to help me track my activity more closely and make sure I'm getting enough in to hit that 1000+ calorie deficit. I do exercise daily but this inspires me to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour at work. I try to make sure I burn 100 calories per hour while at work, and when that gets added to my activity at home (I'm fairly active there, keeping up with a very busy 5 year old!) and my exercise, I'm averaging about 1100 as a calorie deficit. I know I was nowhere close to that before, because I wasn't adding all this extra movement into my day.

I bought my GWF from drugstore.com. It's $180 for the armband and 80 for the display watch but they had sent me a 20% off coupon and I got free shipping so I got both for $210. I HIGHLY recommend the display watch - that is how I track my movement during the day and can tell if I'm missing that 100 calories per hour mark that I need to be in the right zone.
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #12  

I love my Body Bugg!

I wish I were more consistent with logging all my foods though!

I don't have an iphone and don't plan to get one, so I either need to write it on paper I keep in my purse, or find a computer every time I eat!

Now if they could just make something that calculated each bite into calories consumed I would be all set!
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #13  

Luckymommy, thanks for the feedback. I figured there had to be people that didn't love it. That's a lot of money for something that didn't work for you.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn415 View Post
Did this cost of $180 also come with a subscription and for how long?

Thanks!,

Dawn
It came with a promo code for 3 months, and I signed up for a year, so I've made a 15 month committment for now. Hopefully, I'll be at (or at least very near) goal at that point and can decide whether I think the GWF is something I want to keep using a tool for maintenance. I already plan to keep journalling my calories forever so tracking the calorie burn doesn't seem like much of a stretch from there.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you look at Costco, you may be able to get it cheaper. Costco comes with a year long subscription.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote