Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question Bodybugg vs. Polar Heart Rate Monitor for Calorie Measurement

Hi, all!

I have one sister who's been using the Bodybugg and loves it. The other sister is interested in using something to help her measure her daily calorie expenditure, but she can't afford the Bodybugg. I told her about my Polar Heart Rate Monitor (I have an F6) and she noticed that it calculates calories burned. I'm not sure how accurate it is, as I got the monitor to help me figure out my heart rate.

Can anyone tell me the difference in accuracy in calorie measurement between the Bodybugg and the Polar heart rate monitors?

Thanks!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #2  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I have both and use both of them everyday. I have a sensewear that is on me all the time and a Polar F6 that I only use while working out and it calculates calorie burn based on my measurement inputs. SW on the other hand, does more than that as you might be aware. If, your sister, does not have enough funds, I'd suggest go with the Polar for now as it will give her a basic idea of how much she is burning while working out. I use both SW and HRM as an estimate only. As, no matter, what the claim for all these devices I don't believe they are 100% accurate IMO. There's always a margin of error.

I don't know the exact number difference between the two devices. But, I can update this post tonight (after my workout) and give you a number difference between the two .
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

With the Polar, it definitely is only meant to be worn during a workout and you click 'start' in order for it to start measuring your calories burned. What it does measure is accurate but it isn't like a Bodybugg in that it is meant to measure calories all the time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
With the Polar, it definitely is only meant to be worn during a workout ... What it does measure is accurate but it isn't like a Bodybugg in that it is meant to measure calories all the time.
Nelie, that's a really good point. When Amanda mentioned something about her calories for the day during a discussion on tabatas, I got the impression that she is measuring her heartrate for the day using a Polar. I can't figure out how to get mine to do that: like you mentioned, it seems to only calculate during a prescribed "exercise" period. If I tried to use it during the day, it'd be beeping all the time because I wouldn't be moving enough for even the "light" sitting. Hmmm....

Thanks for the help, Pinto! I appreciate it very much, and I'm sure my sister would too! I'd be interested to see if the numbers are similar, calorie-wise, on both devices.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Are there any Polars that will record for several days?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #6  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Are there any Polars that will record for several days?
F6 holds the info for 7 days and you can upload it to your Polar software. Polar has it's own web based software. I haven't used it in a while. But, every sunday at midnight it resets (if I am not mistaken). Every monday morning I get a message on my watch showing me weekly burned calories.

beachgal, no problem. Glad to help
Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
F6 holds the info for 7 days and you can upload it to your Polar software. Polar has it's own web based software. I haven't used it in a while. But, every sunday at midnight it resets (if I am not mistaken). Every monday morning I get a message on my watch showing me weekly burned calories.
Thanks. I've been considering one of these, and I would want to record all day.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #8  
NROL4W-Stage 5

Smile

Laurie, here are the numbers from my workout today: approx 1 hour of strength training and 20 mins HIIT.

Treadmill: 20 min HIIT
- 1.67 miles approx 200 calories burned
Only my current weight entered

Polar F6 (worn only while entire workout)
- 617 calories burned
Variables entered in Polar - Current weight + Height + Age + gender

SenseWear (worn all day on my left tricep and throughout workout)
- 566 calories burned
Calories shown here for SenseWear is only from my workout. I uploaded it before and after my workout and subtracted the numbers. Variables entered - weight + height + age + gender

My suggestion would be if your sister does not have enough $$ then go with the HRM for now and use The Daily Plate or something similar to enter her food if she's calorie counting.

I wear my HRM only while exercising. HRM only records data while the watch is started in exercise mode. You can turn the beeping off. If you don't hit start on exercise it will just show your current heartbeat up or down and it won't calculate calories burned.

There is also Go Wear Fit which is same as SenseWear and is owned by the same company Bodymedia.

HTH

Last edited by pintobean; 09-22-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I have a bodybugg and love it.

Its my understanding that HR monitors aren't great for recording lower HRs therefore the calorie estimates may be off for a 24 hour period. I know some people use them as calorie monitors though and like them. I only use my HRM for a guide on effort (How hard I'm working while running) my BodyBugg and HRM don't always agree on what I've burned. HRM tends to over estimate for me.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 09-21-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11

I have been wanting a HRM for a while and also looked into a body bug. Do you have to pay the monthly subscription for the BB to enter your info?
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

It comes with 6mo/free and if you buy a year membership after that it comes to less then 7/mo. But yes, you have to pay for the online stuff and can't use it without.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #12  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

The polar is not as precise I don't think

But these are 2 good articles about bodybugg and gowear fit.

http://www.leighpeele.com/gowear-fit...g-a-comparison
http://www.leighpeele.com/follow-up-...dybugg-article

I love my go wear fit personally. I think it helps me keep my movement in check.
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote