3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Sketchers Shape Up Shoes - Anyone tried them?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #61
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 266/T/206

Height: 5' 7.5"

It was recommended by my foot doctor (after treatment for plantar's fascitis, tarsal tunnel and achilles tendonitis) that I wear ZCoils but they are $2-300 a pair. I saw a woman at Disney wearing them (when I had to buy the scooter ar $35/day to rent) and she said she was literally crippled, got these, and can walk again.

I wonder if these might help me do the same thing, for less. And I think the sketchers ones are less ugly!

January goal: 253--->245 [247]
February goal: 247--->240 [259]
March goal: entirely off-plan [259]
April goal: 259--->250 FAIL
May goal: 266--->256
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #62

Z-coils add more of a bounce to your step. The Sketchers,Therashoes,curves,and now Danskins just make your feet roll forward in a smooth motion and they are VERY comfortable. I think the Therashoes that sell at Kmart were developed by foot doctors. I know I LOVE mine and also the danskins. I have read reviews where people that have had problems with their feet have stated that these types of shoes withe the curved bottoms have been VERY helpful to them.
lynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #63
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

THANK YOU THANK YOU to those of you that recommended the THERASHOES!!!
Between your recommendations and a clients I decided to try the cheaper route first.

I love them. I stand a lot and have degenerating disks. They are wonderful. I feel them a tiny bit in my calves and butt but after wearing them 2 days my abs really smart! Since I've done no exercise besides walking it has to be the shoes. The lady at KMART told me if I want more to go to their website. They are less there.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #64
Sensewear and WW

S/C/G: 230/195.2/164

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne1017 View Post
It was recommended by my foot doctor (after treatment for plantar's fascitis, tarsal tunnel and achilles tendonitis) that I wear ZCoils but they are $2-300 a pair. I saw a woman at Disney wearing them (when I had to buy the scooter ar $35/day to rent) and she said she was literally crippled, got these, and can walk again.

I wonder if these might help me do the same thing, for less. And I think the sketchers ones are less ugly!
My podiatrist actually recommended these (Sketchers) after my treatment for planter's fascitis and achilles tendonitis. He said at a minimum he would recommend I wear these around the house. I have had them since December and really like them.

Brother's Wedding - July 10, 2010
nellonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #65

I have had the Sketchers for several months but only wear them for long shopping trips. They do run at least a 1/2 size small so try them on in a store before ordering them online. I have had problems with foot and heel pain and good expensive walking shoes didn't help. These were so comfortable that I didn't want to take them off in the store. They say you need to walk a while to get used to the feel of them. It took me about a minute.
I haven't worn them frequently enough to tone but did notice some muscle soreness in the back of my thighs after wearing them all afternoon at the Mall. I bought a white pair with silver accents as my plan was to wear them in the summer, but now I want to get a darker color to wear while walking during lunch breaks at work.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #66

S/C/G: 178/178/130

Height: 5'6

Hey There. I got these shoes and let me tell you i walk around 8 hrs a day at work constantly and these shoes not only have helps my legs and butt get alot more tone and trust me that is true. But my lower back isn't in pain at all when i get off work like it use to be.
I think the shoes are ugly but the comfort and what they have done for my legs and butt are awesome. I definitly would recommend these!!!!
Shan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #67

Ok just wanted to give everyone a heads up Dr Scholls now also has their own version of these.
lynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #68

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Talking Ryka

I have been wearing the Ryka ones I ordered off of QVC and I really like them. Ryka are shoes designed just for women with our lower center of gravity. They were less than half the price of the Sketchers.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #69

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus of compliments on the Therashoes. I have incredibly flat feet and always end up with shin splints no matter how much I stretch, but I bought a pair of these yesterday and went walking for 2 miles--no shin splints. I went again today for 3 miles, and not only does nothing hurt, but I really can feel my thighs and abs being worked. I'm sure that they do work calves, but mine are massive and it takes quite a bit to get them burning.

Best thirty-five bucks I've spent in a long, long time.

Mini Goal 1: 156 pounds (high school sophomore)
Mini Goal 2: 152 pounds (high school freshman)
Mini Goal 3: 145 pounds (lightest in my family, haha!)
minorharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #70

Default re shape up info

Hi I just joined this group after seeing this post. I have a pair of shape ups.
I had not heard anything about them and didn't buy them because of the claims they make. I bought them because I have plantar faciitis. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on different ways to treat it and nothing has worked. Now I just have to try and find whatever helps to ease the pain and make my day more comfortable. I have a cafe with my hubby and due to the pain have only been working 2-3 days a week. I bought my shape ups thinking they were extremely comfortable. Sounds corny I know..but they have changed my life! I have had them since Nov and I can work and even take my dogs for a walk! I don't know if they help to shape up or lose weight, but if you have any foot problems they are worth every penny.
Just my experience, hope this helps.
amy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #71

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

Smile I got some too

because my chiropractor recommended them, and I like them a lot. I too noticed the "good sore" factor for several days. I am getting back to walking more after breaking a toe some months back, so my out-of-shapeness may have made them a little harder to adjust to, but they're great now.

guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #72
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

They have really good cushioning. My wife is on her feet all day for work and was having major foot pain, and these make the foot pain better...BUT...if you have any kind of hip or ankle instability, they can make THAT worse because of the constant adjusting.

I didn't notice any fitness benefits with my pair, but I wear them when I walk the dog, and they do help me stand up straight.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #73

S/C/G: 440/193/170

Height: 5'11"

I own a pair, as well as 2 pairs of MBTs (twice the price for the MBTs but I like the quality better). But the Sketchers Shape-ups... I got them nearly 1 yr after wearing MBTs. They were surprisingly comfortable (I had high expectations after wearing MBTs). I wasn't sore or anything when I first started wearing them. It took merely minutes to get used to the rocking sensation and balance, but that's all. I run in mine, they are GREAT for walking (I am on my feet for extremely long periods and do a lot of walking). I was paying nearly $200 for New Balance shoes before wearing MBTs & Sketchers Shape-ups, and both of these shoes are far more comfortable to me. I do not wear any other type of shoe anymore as absolutely LOVE the cushy feeling of these shoes as well as the walking motion. I feel like walking on clouds. Will never ever go back to wearing anything but these kinds of shoes... As for the cellulite claims and strengthening the core claims, etc, I wouldn't go that far, but for function and comfort along with quality for price I give them a rating of 8/10 (MBTs 10/10).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that since wearing MBTs and shape-ups, my plantar fasciitis is now completely resolved.

Last edited by joannie : 03-13-2010 at 11:53 PM.
joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #74
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I guess I should've updated this, lol. I tried them on and walked around the store. I tripped 5 times!!! It was really weird, so I didnt buy them.

Francie

"I'm beautiful in my way. 'Cause God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track, baby. I was Born This Way"~Lady Gaga <3
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #75
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

I have been looking into gettin a pair of these too but just an FYI...You can buy pretty much the same through Avon for half the price. They are made for Curves. Every once in a while, you can catch them on sale for 39.99 but they are normally 49.99. They aren't the cutest shoes in the world but if it helps with foot pain, posture, and helps tone who cares what they look like

**They are on sale right now for 39.99

Last edited by thinmintintraining : 03-14-2010 at 11:42 PM.
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.