Slim Fast

• I've heard mixed reviews about Slim Fast. I enjoy it blended with half a banana as a shake in the mornings. It helps curb my apetite a bit and seems to satisfy chocolate cravings. However I've read that the only reason why people lose weight from it is because you're basically starving yourself, it has little to no nutritional value and is full of sugar. Is this true? Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with Slim Fast?

Thanks!
  • hi morning gloria-
    A couple of years ago, my friend drank slim fast shakes and she did lose 15 pounds fast. but she gained it all back and then some.

as for me, i drank it for a couple of days, and it gave me horrendous bowel movements (sorry..tmi) it is all full of sugar and doesn't contain as much nutritional value.

i did lose weight but it was from going to the bathroom..
  • Slimfast works because it limits the calories you are eating. Having said that, the ingredients are pretty crappy from what I remember seeing and it does have a lot of sugar.

You might do better to make your own shake if you really want to do a liquid diet type thing. I have made 'whole foods' shakes with spinach, celery, cucumber and fruit. I've also used hemp protein powder for shakes.

Although really I generally recommend just eating whole foods overall. Lots of veggies, fruits, legumes, some grains, etc.
  • I use slim-fast on rare occasions, I keep some powdered around. Its good for days when I don't feel like I can eat, I am on the run, or I just crave it randomly. However if you actually followed the whole shake for breakfast, shake for lunch and a sensible dinner you would probably get around 1000 calories a day. Thats why it works, it greatly restricts your calories, if you arent careful when you get off of it and start eating like you have in the past, you most likely wouldnt be creating that calorie balance and gain weight.

My husband is going to get me a blender that has either a big thing, or the ability to use two smaller containers (shake size) so that I can make smoothies and stuff to take on the run, I usually know a day in advance if I am going to be on the run. My suggestion is like nellie, try to make your own. I use them occasionally but far more often I make something with protein powder and whole foods, my new blender will help with that.
  • Thanks for your advice! I wasn't actually following the "Slim Fast Plan" as I was just drinking the shake for breakfast with a banana, but if it's not even healthy I'm not going to continue it. I still like the idea of a filling shake in the morning (they're soo easy on the run!) but I think I'm going to look into fruit smoothies and just add some protein powder.

Thanks again
  • Cebsme, I just bought a little shake blender at GNC on sale for less than $20. It does a great job of making added ice really fine. Sometimes for an evening snack, I make a shake of whey protein, bananas and blueberries, greek yogurt etc.

The blender has a "cup" on top with a cap you can put on when you are running out the door. It does a much better job than my "big" blender and you can't beat the price. It's called a "fit and fresh" and I see they can also be ordered on GNC site if you don't have a local GNC.

I ONLY drink shakes like that as an evening treat though. I'm a South Beach person who really believes that good healthy meals are the way to go.